Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
gazmacska
gazmacska began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Calibre 4.4, 4.5 64 bit installation failed

Calibre 4.3 64 bit installed (reinstalled) correctley. V.4.4 and 4.5 installation failed with unexpected error.. Tried to download with different browser and from different places, no success.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Install1.PNG
Views:	133
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	175408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Install2.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	175409  
gazmacska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
What solutions did you try for the error code 2755? I'm asking so I don't repeat something you've already tried.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I've run into something similar on versions 4.1, 4.2 and maybe 4.3 each time I simply waited until I had reason to reboot my machine then installed calibre first thing after the reboot. Each clean boot install ran fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazmacska View Post
Calibre 4.3 64 bit installed (reinstalled) correctley. V.4.4 and 4.5 installation failed with unexpected error.. Tried to download with different browser and from different places, no success.
As long as your "different places" are the alternate download sites linked from calibre's download page you should be fine, but don't go hunting the web for other calibre downloads, they may not be safe.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-07-2019 at 10:34 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am with the good Dr.
You may have a partial Windows update in place (they update Not-In-Use parts in background for a faster reboot). You came along and tried to use the new piece with the old base still in use.
Reboot seems to FIX a lot of load errors for me.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I've run into something similar on versions 4.1, 4.2 and maybe 4.3 each time I simply waited until I had reason to reboot my machine then installed calibre first thing after the reboot. Each clean boot install ran fine.
I have had the Installer tell me I need to do a restart, I ignore it because I know its untrue. Programs that need a restart to complete an install won't run the new version until you do the restart, that's not true of calibre..

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I have had the Installer tell me I need to do a restart, I ignore it because I know its untrue. Programs that need a restart to complete an install won't run the new version until you do the restart, that's not true of calibre..
I have ignored those too. But I have had some failed installs similar to the ones mentioned by the OP that installed fine after a reboot.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Not quite true. If it is not the main executable that needed to be replaced during the reboot, the program may run and you will not notice an issue until you attempt to use one of the linked files that needed to be replaced but was in use at the time of the original install.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I assume by 'linked files' you mean these:

calibre-complete.exe, calibre-customize.exe, calibre-debug.exe, calibre-parallel.exe, calibre-server.exe, calibre-smtp.exe, calibredb.exe, ebook-convert.exe, ebook-device.exe, ebook-edit.exe, ebook-meta.exe, ebook-polish.exe, ebook-viewer.exe, fetch-ebook-metadata.exe, lrf2lrs.exe, lrfviewer.exe, lrs2lrf.exe, markdown-calibre.exe, web2disk.exe.

I've occasionally had the same 'problem' with other application installs. But I see it more often with Calibre because it's updated more often than other applications. And I'm pretty sure it only ever happens with MSI installs - but not every time, and not all MSI installs. I've had the same message from a SQLite Browser install, it only has two executables - it also uses Qt.

To avoid this sort of issue I always do application software installs after a cold boot (a practice I adopted on NT4 and OS/2). And, I don't run calibre.exe or any of the 'linked files' from startup. And, I've checked the Create Date timestamps on those files when the message pops, and they're all within the last minute or two.

On one occasion I took a copy of Program Files/Calibre2, did the restart, and then did a compare using Beyond Compare - nothing changed.

I can't imagine how it could be, but I'm half inclined to point the finger at Qt But I would put my money on a quirk in the Trusted Installer.

BR
Old 12-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Windows 10 64.

I cannot recall any occasion with any application not installing unless rebooting first. I also cannot recall any occasion where I have had to reboot to complete an installation of an update (Windows own updates excluded, of course). My recollection would be pretty reliable for a couple of years or so back.

The only thing that comes immediately to mind that I do differently to most is I block Windows automatic update downloads and installs unless specifically authorised by me. When downloaded they are installed completely straight away (i.e. not left pending a restart). Looking at some of the comments above I wonder if this is the reason for my experience; there are never any Windows update files in waiting or partially installed on the PCs here.

I know not many people block Windows update automatic downloads and installs because I often see them complaining about them. Why they don't just stop them I have no idea.

Aside: the reason here for blocking Windows automatic update downloads is nothing to do with distrust, but is because when mobile we use metered cellular hot spotting (here most service providers currently do not allow hot spotting on unlimited data accounts, and those that do on unlimited accounts soon throttle it to avoid terabyte type use by the likes of torrent clients).

Last edited by AnotherCat; 12-08-2019 at 04:40 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

on Windows automatic updates.

Again not for for reasons of distrust, IMO upgrading the OS needs to be done at my convenience not on the computer's whim.

I'm not sure Win 10 Home users get any control over updates and upgrades, and they're gradually reducing the control Pro users get. I used to delay Upgrades until Semi Annual Channel release (fit for Enterprise deployment) plus 60 days. Now its pot luck when they'll turn up.

BR
Old 12-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #11
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't recall anything indicating Home is any different, insofar as blocking via the metered connection choice anyway - Microsoft don't make any distinction in their instructions for setting metered connections. But I cannot comment from experience.

The following, all of which are reliable in my experience (which excludes Home), may be of interest to some:

Setting the internet connection to metered stops all Windows updates apart for "critical" ones but all through the life of Windows 10 (and 8 if I recall correctly) I've never seen an update let through. Originally non WiFi connections could only be set as metered in the registry but for a long time now that has been relaxed to be a user choice in Settings including ethernet. Microsoft say that some applications may not work properly if metered connections are blocked to Windows but I have not come across any - MSOffice Outlook though, if connection is set as metered, asks permission to proceed with other than headers.

If I recall correctly there is or was a maximum limit on the time automatic downloads were blocked for on metered connections (I seem to recall 28 days????) but I have seen no reference to that for a very long time and I have certainly gone for around 4 weeks many times with them staying blocked while I've been travelling.

Quite recently one now has another choice in Settings of stopping Windows installing updates regardless for up to 35 days. And for those who I see periodically still complaining about Windows unexpectedly updating there are also a variety of Settings allowing the user to delay installation of different types of updates and control over when restarts occur.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
on Windows automatic updates.

Again not for for reasons of distrust, IMO upgrading the OS needs to be done at my convenience not on the computer's whim.

I'm not sure Win 10 Home users get any control over updates and upgrades, and they're gradually reducing the control Pro users get. I used to delay Upgrades until Semi Annual Channel release (fit for Enterprise deployment) plus 60 days. Now its pot luck when they'll turn up.

BR
Pro users can delay the updates. I have Win10 Pro on my Surface Pro 2 and I delay the updates when I take it on vacation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

AFAIK the 35 day delay applies to Quality Updates, not Feature Updates (nee Upgrades).

I don't see Choose when [Feature] Updates are installed in Settings->Update….

However I found a setting in Local Group Policies that appears to allow deferral of Feature Updates for up to 365 days. On my system it is in Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Update->Windows Update for Business

BR
Old 12-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or you can just turn off the Windows Update service and no more updates until you turn the service back on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #15
AnotherCat

Quote:
AFAIK the 35 day delay applies to Quality Updates, not Feature Updates (nee Upgrades).

I don't see Choose when [Feature] Updates are installed in Settings->Update….
In Pro (at least) Settings>Update>Advanced item "Choose when updates are installed", item "A feature Update... ..It can be deferred for this many days". One can enter 0 to 365 days in the drop down list.

Similar option exists in same place for "security improvements", another drop down list from which one can pick 0 to 30 days.

As JSWolf says if you just want to stop updates completely it can be done in Group Policy but as far as I know (as I don't have it) Windows Home still does not allow user access to Group Policy so only Pro and above. Automatic updates can also be configured in the Registry (in Computer Configuration path) and I would expect this works in Home too.

EDIT: forgot the 35 day bit - as far as I know, I haven't tested it, the 35 day option stops all updates, if one wants time control and feature and security differentiation then one uses the day drop down lists I mentioned. Also should say these are all fairly recent from earlier this year (1903 release I think that would be).

Last edited by AnotherCat; 12-08-2019 at 10:50 PM.