Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Audra
Enthusiast
Audra began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Edit Metadata window does not show.

I am running Calibre 4.2 on a computer running Windows 10. I have two monitors.

Everything was going well until a couple days ago. I would select a book, click on "Edit metadata" . The main screen would lock, a few columns not showing, and a window called "edit metadata" would show up on my first monitor. (The main Calibre window would be on the right computer.)

Now, the main screen locks, but I can not see the "edit metadata" screen. When I hit the Escape key, the main screen unlocks.

It is almost as if the "edit metadata" screen pops up, but I CANNOT SEE IT.

I have tried a number of things, including rebooting, running debug mode, and changing the resolution of my monitors. Nothing has helped. I also tried to download Calibre and chose the "repair" method. Still the same.

No error message shows up, and the "edit metadata" screen does not show on the task bar. Don't know if it used to when it was working properly.

Nothing seemed to change between working and not working: I did not update Calibre and no changes were made to my computer.

Please, can you offer me any suggestions of what else to try?

Thank you.
Audra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tap Alt+Space and see if a control menu pops (the one you get of you click program icon top left) - if it pops, tap 'M' and move window with arrow keys until you can see title bar. Then deal with it using the mouse etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:38 AM   #3
Audra
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply

When I tap Alt+Space nothing pops up.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
Audra
Enthusiast

I found another post that recommends this. After tapping Alt+Space and then M, even though nothing showed on the screen I tried using the arrow keys to try to get the window to show up. In many different combinations. Nothing ever showed.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
Audra
Enthusiast

Finally managed to fix it! My resolution was the highest it could be, but I was magnifying everything 250%. Changed it to 100%. Hit Alt+Space. Lo and behold the menu popped up. Hit move and used arrow keys. Got a window that was not there before, not that I could read what it said. Changed the magnification to 250% and there was the Edit Medadata window. Thank you to all who made posts on this subject (even though you might not have been aware that I read them) as it led me to the fix. Special thanks to BetterRed who started me on the correct path.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #6
Audra
Enthusiast

This works for one book. The next book I select has to be fixed the same way. Is there any way to make this correction permanent?
Old 10-26-2019, 12:57 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audra View Post
Finally managed to fix it! My resolution was the highest it could be, but I was magnifying everything 250%. Changed it to 100%.
I assume you're referring to Windows 10 Display Settings, this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-26 154311.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	174541

If it is, what is wrong with the default settings (Windows Recommended)

If it's not Windows settings, what are you changing - please be precise, best way to do that is to post a screenshot.

Quote:
This works for one book. The next book I select has to be fixed the same way. Is there any way to make this correction permanent?
I don't understand, most (all ??) changes to Windows settings are permanent from the moment you change them.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:47 AM   #8
Audra
Enthusiast

Well, no. It has nothing to do with Windows Default Settings. In Calibre, when I click on "Edit Metadata" nothing happens. Then I click on Alt/Space and arrows and find the "edit Metadata" screen. I make my choices, and they appear in the Calibre choice of books. Next book I choose has to got through the same exact procedure. How do I make these changes in Windows settings? Thank you.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:52 AM   #9
Audra
Enthusiast

I tried to do a screen shot with the next book,. But it did not work and I lost all my changes,.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well, no. It has nothing to do with Windows Default Settings. In Calibre, when I click on "Edit Metadata" nothing happens. Then I click on Alt/Space and arrows and find the "edit Metadata" screen. I make my choices, and they appear in the Calibre choice of books. Next book I choose has to got through the same exact procedure. How do I make these changes in Windows settings? Thank you.
That indicates that the location of the window is not being saved.
IIRC all Calibre child window locations are stored in the configuration folder.

Do any OTHER Calibre settings or windows not remember their last size or position?

Possible conflicts: Security software, Cloud Syncing, 2 users accessing the same share (also a calibre No No) folder at the same time.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:26 PM   #11
Audra
Enthusiast

Thank you all for your suggestions.

When I use the default display settings some of my programs are so small on my screens that I cannot see them. I have found a good compromise using 225%.

I am the only one using Calibre. No other windows seem to have problems. I have not installed any new security software. After changing the display settings back and forth a couple of times, all of a sudden I no longer need to use Alt/space-bar M and arrows, all of a sudden the Edit metadata window is popping up in the correct place.

Wonder of wonders. I have NO idea what caused it to correct itself, but am very happy about it. And now if it should malfunction again, I know what to do.

Thanks again to all of you who wrote to help me.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions.

When I use the default display settings some of my programs are so small on my screens that I cannot see them. I have found a good compromise using 225%.

I am the only one using Calibre. No other windows seem to have problems. I have not installed any new security software. After changing the display settings back and forth a couple of times, all of a sudden I no longer need to use Alt/space-bar M and arrows, all of a sudden the Edit metadata window is popping up in the correct place.

Wonder of wonders. I have NO idea what caused it to correct itself, but am very happy about it. And now if it should malfunction again, I know what to do.

Thanks again to all of you who wrote to help me.
OH! 225%
This is a high DPI problem.
Preferences: Look and Feel: Adjust for High Resolution Screens (restart needed)
Old 11-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
alyshadeshae
Cat Mom
alyshadeshae began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Tap Alt+Space and see if a control menu pops (the one you get of you click program icon top left) - if it pops, tap 'M' and move window with arrow keys until you can see title bar. Then deal with it using the mouse etc.

BR
Thank you so much! I was having this same issue and you just saved me!! <3

Now to see if I can delete my post about the same issue before it posts!
alyshadeshae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #14
Audra
Enthusiast

The Edit Metadata window is showing up where it is supposed to. But then when I click on "Download Metadata" nothing happens. Now what do I do???? Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
The Edit Metadata window is showing up where it is supposed to. But then when I click on "Download Metadata" nothing happens. Now what do I do???? Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
Same problem, just happens this time with the child of MDE.
Alt-space M arrow keys (usually the Move Left)