Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #31
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
It's not available as ebook AFAIK, but should it be released at some future time, one would certainly HOPE that the footnotes remained intact in some fashion!
It's available from Amazon, Kobo, Apple, and B&N.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #32
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by increase View Post
I was trying to add nested footnotes which work in moonreader, but not in kindle previewer, so I have given up on that.

I am simply trying to have a chapter that is not cluttered with visible footnotes and have popups available throughout the narrative
Well, I was about to reply to your original post that I have no problem whatever in this respect because I keep my formatting simple. But I see by this post that you have closed out that fruitful avenue for fixing things.

And BetterRed commented:

Quote:
If a book has a lot of worthwhile endnotes I split them off into a separate epub so that I can refer to them on my phone while reading on my tablet/ereader. I loathe popups; and if a group of notes reflect alternatives, I want to read them as group. I've also been known to photocopy the endnotes in p-books for similar reasons.

Wow. That is admirable! I love endnotes, and I often read with a finger at the back of the book, or in the case of a hardcover I fold the back flap into the endnotes.

In the case of an ebook I'm less likely to browse the endnotes, but I do sometimes read the next few notes just to make sure I'm not missing something good.

I always hope to find something good, because in my books I go out of my way to make the endnotes enchanting.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #33
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
epub is NOT an Amazon format.
No, but epub converts wonderfully well on the KDP. Since Hitch told me that in January 2012, all my Kindle uploads have been validated epub2s.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #34
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, so far, my concentration isn't quite that bad. Thank heavens.

Hitch
Concentration is perhaps too strong of a word. Instead I could say they interrupt the flow of the reading. Making me jump around in the book or page, tapping on the screen, etc.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #35
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Concentration is perhaps too strong of a word. Instead I could say they interrupt the flow of the reading. Making me jump around in the book or page, tapping on the screen, etc.
In a print book, you'd have to see the footnote, use a bookmark or finger to keep your place, go to the back of the book, find the corresponding note, read the note, and return to the page. That's jumping around.

In an ebook, you tap, the footnote appears, you read it, then close that window. You don't leave the page you're reading, it's much easier. Sometimes you need to use the BACK arrow to return to the page, but it is still easier.

I don't want notes in parenthesis inline with the text. That means they can't be ignored if I don't want/need to read them.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #36
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I don't want notes in parenthesis inline with the text. That means they can't be ignored if I don't want/need to read them.
Horrors, people ignoring footnotes! What's the world coming to?

I've read books where I've realized that the footnotes aren't helping and are just some sort of incidental noise and have skipped them. Those could be end notes that don't have a footnote number; the Andrea Camilleri mystery series with inspector Salvo Montalbano does that; the translator has end notes at the end of the book explaining stuff.

Now I'm reformatting a book where characters are occasionally using French or German and there are footnotes of the translation. That's a case where I can't see why you wouldn't put them in parenthesis. Unless you know German and French you're going to want to read them and who needs to tap or look elsewhere for the translation?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #37
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I always hope to find something good, because in my books I go out of my way to make the endnotes enchanting.
Not sure I ever saw an enchanting endnote, seen plenty that are as dry as dust - but they're unlikely to meet my worthwhile criteria.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Some of the footnotes in Discworld books are rather funny. So while you can skip them, you might miss a good laugh.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote