Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
NickKnaque
Variable
NickKnaque began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (original)
Question Change characters in metadata title and filenames on disk

I use Calibre on Windows (7 & 10) and on Linux, in all of those environments I want to save my C++ books to disk leaving C++ as it appears in the title, instead of converting to C__ as it does by default. (I hate this!)

Is there a tweak or something to manage this? I'd rather not hack the Python source as I like to run from exe.

Also, I'd like to have the : in book titles changed to a comma "," (instead of _) both in metadata and in the filename on disk.

All help gratefully received.
NickKnaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
Horus68
Zealot
Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKnaque View Post
Also, I'd like to have the : in book titles changed to a comma "," (instead of _) both in metadata and in the filename on disk.
On the : for a comma see here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=310144
Horus68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
NickKnaque
Variable

Thank you
Old 10-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
NickKnaque
Variable

C++ -> C__

Using title:re() in the template for save-to-disk does not solve the C__ (instead of C++) in the filename, for me. It seems something more fundamental is changing the string after the template has run.

But what, and how can I change it?
Old 10-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Using title:re() in the template for save-to-disk does not solve the C__ (instead of C++) in the filename, for me. It seems something more fundamental is changing the string after the template has run.

But what, and how can I change it?
+ is the file concatenation character in Windows
file1+file2+file3>fileall
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
NickKnaque
Variable

Thanks, but that does not matter, both Windows & Linux support '+' in filenames.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks, but that does not matter, both Windows & Linux support '+' in filenames.

If it's allowable in Linux and Windows (and as far as know on MacOS too), the question is: why is '+' replaced with '_' in the library file name?

Given that '#', '$', '&', '-' etc are not replaced.

I get why \/:*?"<>| are replaced, but not anything else. And I'm not 100% certain it's been ever thus.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-22-2019 at 05:59 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

If it's allowable in Linux and Windows (and as far as know on MacOS too), the question is: why is '+' replaced with '_' in the library file name?

Given that '#', '$', '&', '-' etc are not replaced.

I get why \/:*?"<>| are replaced, but not anything else. And I'm not 100% certain it's been ever thus.
PC/DR/MS-DOS did not allow the '+' sign as a character in a filename. And I vaguely remember when saving to a floppy (sadly, dating myself there...), you could not use a '+' in a filename saved from Windows 95. Going by a old DRDOS manual, you could not use any of " * + , / : ; < = > ? \ [ ] | in a filename and a space could not be used as the first character of a filename.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
PC/DR/MS-DOS did not allow the '+' sign as a character in a filename. And I vaguely remember when saving to a floppy (sadly, dating myself there...), you could not use a '+' in a filename saved from Windows 95. Going by a old DRDOS manual, you could not use any of " * + , / : ; < = > ? \ [ ] | in a filename and a space could not be used as the first character of a filename.
Arrh right, +,.;=[] are not allowed in short (8.3) files names - but with the exception of '+' they are allowed in book file names, hence save names.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-22-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
But, if you are able to run Calibre, you will not be running any version of DOS. And you won't be caring about old 8.3 filenames. So I see no reason not to allow +.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can get filename collision copying from Ext2, Ext3, Ext4, NTFS, ZFS, etc to FAT32, though it might be a problem in the copying utility. It's to do with Case Sensitivity.
Also multiple . can cause problems with the stupid default in Win Explorer of hide file endings.
a . at start and a ~ in certain positions can be a problem
Longer filenames can be fine insitu but cause failure later if total path length for a filesystem or OS is exceeded.
Even now on Windows some less likely three letter or four names ending in : are actually still a problem. Potentially CON, LPT, PUN, not just obvious COM1: to COM4: (or up to 255 on Proper versions of Windows)
CDFS and Joliet are not quite the same (burning to CD) and differ from Mac, NTFS and EXT4.
Some applications don't cope with accented letters.
Some don't like - and others don't like _
& can be a problem
/ or \ may be path separators. Amazingly for a while before DOS4, I think, you could make - be the option char and then DOS used same path separator as UNIX.

There is a filesystem that allows ANY character, which makes for great importing and scary exports...
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

None of which explains why I can have a book titled "Programming in C##" and get that name in the output of Save to Disk without any special measures.

But if I have "Programming in C++" I must resort to regex template jiggery-pokery to get that name in the output of Save to Disk.

'+' and '#" are both present in that banned from 8.3 file names list.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-23-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
None of which explains why I can have a book titled "Programming in C##" and get that name in the output of Save to Disk without any special measures.

But if I have "Programming in C++" I must resort to regex template jiggery-pokery to get that name in the output of Save to Disk.

'+' and '#" are both present in that banned from 8.3 file names list.

BR
And who would be using 8.3 legacy filenames when using Windows?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And who would be using 8.3 legacy filenames when using Windows?
No one Jon.

But that doesn't explain why a book title of "Programming in C++" requires regex jiggery-pokery in StD templates - and that is the issue under consideration.

BR
Old 10-23-2019, 10:49 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you wish to re-enable + it is a one line chage to calibre's source code, see line 109 in calibre/__init_.py -- as for why it is disabled it is because it caused actual problems with something, what that was I no longer recall.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, filenames, metadata, title