Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #136
raffnix
raffnix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Is it possible to use the xray data contained in an original asc/xray file? And maybe automatically get the data from a free amazon sample?

Last edited by raffnix; 02-22-2017 at 10:15 PM.
raffnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #137
szarroug3
Zealot
szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffnix View Post
Is it possible to use the xray data contained in an original asc/xray file? And maybe automatically get the data from a free amazon sample?
I don't think that would work as the x-ray data is contained in a separate file from the book file. The sample should not contain the data needed. Have you seen it have that date anywhere?
szarroug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #138
raffnix
raffnix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by szarroug3 View Post
I don't think that would work as the x-ray data is contained in a separate file from the book file. The sample should not contain the data needed. Have you seen it have that date anywhere?
I'm not sure if I expressed myself clearly, what i'm asking is if we can use the data inside the xray file from a sample book to populate the file your plugin generates(since we can't just copy&paste the original xray file into another book). I hope that's what you got from my original comment.

But anyway, I downloaded a random book sample into my kindle (A Game of Thrones) and then connected it to my pc, went to the book folder and copied the XRAY.entities.xxxxxx.asc file in there to my desktop, then I opened it using this program, it looks like there's enough data in there to fill in the generated XRAY file.

There's an entity table(looks incomplete, there's no reference to Arya or Sansa, for example, but most of the main characters are there, i'm not sure if this is because i got the file from a sample or if the "original" xray is also missing those characters), there's an entity_description table which is IMO one of the most important, there's also an excerpt table, it doesn't looks very useful since character count might vary depending on the way one convert its ebooks, but this table does have a related_entities column which might be useful. I tried the same thing with one of the mistborn novels and observed the same things.

Can we use this xray file(or the "original" one we get when we buy the book) to automatically populate your generated xray file? And the dream would be to have the plugin automatically download the sample xray files so we wouldn't have to download it by ourselves.
raffnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #139
szarroug3
Zealot
szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffnix View Post
I'm not sure if I expressed myself clearly, what i'm asking is if we can use the data inside the xray file from a sample book to populate the file your plugin generates(since we can't just copy&paste the original xray file into another book). I hope that's what you got from my original comment.

But anyway, I downloaded a random book sample into my kindle (A Game of Thrones) and then connected it to my pc, went to the book folder and copied the XRAY.entities.xxxxxx.asc file in there to my desktop, then I opened it using this program, it looks like there's enough data in there to fill in the generated XRAY file.

There's an entity table(looks incomplete, there's no reference to Arya or Sansa, for example, but most of the main characters are there, i'm not sure if this is because i got the file from a sample or if the "original" xray is also missing those characters), there's an entity_description table which is IMO one of the most important, there's also an excerpt table, it doesn't looks very useful since character count might vary depending on the way one convert its ebooks, but this table does have a related_entities column which might be useful. I tried the same thing with one of the mistborn novels and observed the same things.

Can we use this xray file(or the "original" one we get when we buy the book) to automatically populate your generated xray file? And the dream would be to have the plugin automatically download the sample xray files so we wouldn't have to download it by ourselves.
Ah, I misunderstood. Hm, that might be an option but it's likely going to be quite a bit of work to implement. I'll put it in the enhancements bucket on github. I can't pick it up right now though so I'm not sure when it will be looked at.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #140
szarroug3
Zealot

Released 3.0.5. Minor bug fix and some code cleanup.

@raffnix, I looked into your suggestion. It seems like the x-ray data is only sent if you choose to send the sample directly to the device from amazon. If you download it to your computer, it only gives you the book file with no x-ray files. Unfortunately, this doesn't really work for the plugin since I don't have a way to have log you into your amazon, ask for the book to be sent to the device, then go to the device and get the files off. Sorry. I was really excited about this idea. I hate all the empty data.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #141
70Dan
70Dan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
@szarroug3 I just tried sending a free sample to my kindle and the additional x-ray data looks really nice.

If your plugin simply showed a link to the book's amazon page, I feel like most of us wouldn't mind going through an extra step (clicking the link, then the get free sample button) if it allowed us to get better meta data in the plugin's x-ray files.

For starters, I wouldn't even mind specifying which .asc file to use. It could be done this way:

Add a book-specific option that allows to browse for an Amazon sample .asc x-ray file, which the plugin uses to add more people/terms data to the generated files.

Thank you for your consideration.
70Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #142
szarroug3
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Dan View Post
@szarroug3 I just tried sending a free sample to my kindle and the additional x-ray data looks really nice.

If your plugin simply showed a link to the book's amazon page, I feel like most of us wouldn't mind going through an extra step (clicking the link, then the get free sample button) if it allowed us to get better meta data in the plugin's x-ray files.

For starters, I wouldn't even mind specifying which .asc file to use. It could be done this way:

Add a book-specific option that allows to browse for an Amazon sample .asc x-ray file, which the plugin uses to add more people/terms data to the generated files.

Thank you for your consideration.
I could do that. The book specific preferences already has a way to go to the Amazon link for the book so I'll just have to add a way to select the file and then add in the functionality to parse it. Great idea, 70Dan!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #143
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi,
I've been theming Calibre and I see that this plugin doesn't support icon themes. Would you consider adding it?

I made a modified version of the ui.py with icon theming enabled (This is a copy of what dickloraine did for the Embed Comic Metadata plugin, inspired by kiwidude's work). Changes are marked with ####
Have a look if your OK with this!

Thanks

Last edited by Nicolas F; 05-27-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Code sample deleted since it has been implemented
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #144
szarroug3
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post
Hi,
I've been theming Calibre and I see that this plugin doesn't support icon themes. Would you consider adding it?

I made a modified version of the ui.py with icon theming enabled (This is a copy of what dickloraine did for the Embed Comic Metadata plugin, inspired by kiwidude's work). Changes are marked with ####
Have a look if your OK with this!

Thanks
Definitely! I actually hate the icon right now..I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. If you want to get this done faster than I would, you can pull request it. I've been super busy lately.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:46 PM   #145
szarroug3
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by szarroug3 View Post
Definitely! I actually hate the icon right now..I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. If you want to get this done faster than I would, you can pull request it. I've been super busy lately.
Nvm, I did it. Haha. New version -- 3.0.6
Old 05-27-2017, 06:36 AM   #146
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I hadn't seen this plugin was on github...
Thank you!

I'm doing icons for the themes Material and Highlights, I'll post the updated themes. If you want to use/recolor/modify the icon feel free to do it.

Edit: And only after writing this I see you've changed the icon! I do like the new one better

Last edited by Nicolas F; 05-27-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #147
Bloksma
Bloksma began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloksma View Post
Hi szarroug3

Thanks for the plugin, great work!
I would like to suggest a new feature. I read a lot of books in hungarian, thus goodreads doesn't give me all the information I need It would be great if there would be an option, where I could load the necessary information from a file (xml, json, etc.) instead of goodreads.

Best Regards,
Bloksma
Hi
Any opinion about this?
Bloksma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #148
szarroug3
Zealot

Nicolas, thanks!

Bloksma, yeah I'm willing to do that. Sorry I must've missed your previous comment about it. I'm working allowing you to import sample x-ray files from Amazon. Whole I'm doing that, I'll also add an option to import another filetype. Likely json.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #149
Bloksma
Bloksma began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2
That's really great! Thanks!
Bloksma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #150
szarroug3
Zealot

New version that allows for sample x-ray and input json (template is shown in readme and original post). Also added a donate button.

Tags
x-ray