Notices

Old 03-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
"Unfortunately, com.nook.partner has stopped" Glowlight 3

Well, now what's this new madness?

Popped up after I'd had the Nook set aside for a while with a book open.

The only option offered was 'OK" and that didn't dismiss the larger popup message box that says "Unfortunately, com.nook.partner has stopped"

Trying to power cycle the Nook finally got it to restart -- although the "Unfortunately" box stays on top so even selecting shutdown was hard to accomplish.

The only mention I find of that error message is from someone who was renaming files and, as he put it, bricked his Nook but it wouldn't even be useful as a brick.

This stuff worries me. Did BN lay off their Nook programmer, or is she or he still working on this operating system?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Hello Hank,

I wouldn't worry too much about that error. I'm no expert, but it sounds like one of the background processes got hung up. Short of turning the device off, some other things to try would be a long press on the "n" button (as if to turn the light on or off), or to sync the device. I don't know if other android devices are so touchy, but I try to remember that this little gadget isn't a PC.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
My experience with the Nook ST tells me that this current iteration of Nook software is just buggy.

My old Nook more stable than my Kobo. And while I haven't had the problems others have had with the Glowlight 3, it is very slow when not in a book and I have had issues with it jumping back to home right after opening a book.

I can't help but wonder if the bugginess in their current software has to do with their behind the scenes financial woes.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:17 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My experience with the Nook ST tells me that this current iteration of Nook software is just buggy.

My old Nook more stable than my Kobo. And while I haven't had the problems others have had with the Glowlight 3, it is very slow when not in a book and I have had issues with it jumping back to home right after opening a book.

I can't help but wonder if the bugginess in their current software has to do with their behind the scenes financial woes.
I'm a bit worried about that too. I was surprised when suggestions resulted in changes in the software (got rid of partitioning at any rate), but (just following along) it doesn't look like the software is quite finished on the GlowLight 3. My "Shop Goodwill" NST (that I gave to my son) updated to 1.2.2 (from 1.2.1) on its own (which was a small shock, after all this time) but I haven't turned WiFi on with my old NST or NST w/ GL since then. I don't want to take a chance of acquiring bugs on an OS that has been solid for years, especially since I don't know what the upgrade was supposed to have "fixed." I've also read that the new upgrade to GlowLight Plus has resulted in unwanted changes.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:28 AM   #5
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle E-Reader (basic), Nook Glowlight Plus 3
Yes, I got this message for the first time yesterday. It was right after I sideloaded a book and I assumed it had something to do with that. Powered off and on and fine. Even with its bugs (and sluggishness), I love this ereader, easily my favorite so far.
GoodCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
I've said this before, but I can only assume that the bugginess of the Nook Glowlight 3 software is due to the masking and unmasking of the partitions. Since I was one of the folks pestering them to open up the storage, I guess I have myself (at least partly) to blame.
And I do worry about the recent round of layoffs and the effect on the software team.
But B&N does seem to have a soft spot for the nook, and it stays on, even though I doubt it is a money maker for them.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Its flaky for sure. It is no succesor to the NST. It just looks like it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I agree that the Glowlight 3 is a bit slow and buggy and at this point I'm not sure it'll get any better. It's still a nice reading device. There are problems and limitations but nothing that detracts from the reading experience, at least so far.

I think I'm going to keep the Wifi off on mine so that if there are any more updates I can read reviews of them before I consider installing them. With my Kobos and Kindles I always just install the updates and don't worry. In the past I've done that with my Nooks as well but I think I'll stop that now. I have no other need for the Wifi anyway.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I agree that the Glowlight 3 is a bit slow and buggy and at this point I'm not sure it'll get any better. It's still a nice reading device. There are problems and limitations but nothing that detracts from the reading experience, at least so far.
I'm with you there. It doesn't have the best OS, but I do like the reading experience.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #10
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Ditto. I've been reading on it exclusively instead of my KA1.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:17 AM   #11
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
well, it keeps happening

I just got the "... has stopped" message again last night. After that the Nook became extremely slow. On a reboot, the slowness continued. And now 24 hours later, all but one of my sideloaded books is not shown in the Library.

Calibre can still see them all on the device, no problem.

Does any other company make an amber nighttime light e-reader? That's the only thing I like about the Nook, and the reason I bought it.

But gosh golly, this is lousy software.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
I just got the "... has stopped" message again last night. After that the Nook became extremely slow. On a reboot, the slowness continued. And now 24 hours later, all but one of my sideloaded books is not shown in the Library.

Calibre can still see them all on the device, no problem.

Does any other company make an amber nighttime light e-reader? That's the only thing I like about the Nook, and the reason I bought it.

You could check the Kobo Clara HD. It has the variable colour temperature light. I haven't spent that much time with B&N Nooks since they are not supported in Canada but what little experience I have suggests that Kobo's firmware is better in many aspects including the ability to customize the reading experience (check the patching threads in the Kobo forums). Even opening up a Clara HD to replace the internal uSD card with a larger one is a pretty trivial project.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #13
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
I've been using Calibre Companion with my Glowlight 3 and it has been working really well.

When I first got my nook I was sideloading to the "spsd" (sideload) partition with Calibre via USB and I had lots of corruption issues causing me to re-transfer all my books and then the nook software re-scanning all my books. Since using CC I haven’t had any corruption or database issues. It also has a lot of the Calibre options like Series, Tags, and even custom metadata.

CC can’t see the “spsd” partition and the default save location isn’t scanned by the nook software (which I don’t want it to). I use the Wireless Device Connection in Calibre to transfer my books and you can set CC to open your books with the nook software. I also have Zeam Launcher set as my default launcher (Needed to be able to launch CC).

My Glowlight 3 is rooted but only to re-map the hardware buttons and add a back button for some other apps. As far as I can see you don’t need a back button in CC.

App versions I’m using: Calibre Companion 5.4.3.3 and Zeam Launcher 3.1.10.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:

Yeah, the current software ain't what she used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You could check the Kobo Clara HD. It has the variable colour temperature light... Kobo's firmware is better in many aspects including the ability to customize the reading experience...
I'll second the Kobo Clara HD recommendation. It's like the Glowlight 3, but without the page turn buttons. But Kobo's software is better than Nook's, especially if you sideload books with Calibre.

I will say I enjoy the in-book reading experience on the Nook a little more than I do on Kobo (Nook seems to be slightly better at layout and hyphenation), but I still read on both and often miss the Kobo software pluses when doing anything other than reading on my Nook.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #15
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:

That is why I just bought the Clara as well. (Well, with the $99. price at Walmart.)
But as I pointed out in the Kobo forum, there is a weird bug with the amber light in the latest software. It doesn't adjust automatically throughout the day, unless you turn the Auto switch off and on once a day. I have opened a ticket with Kobo and they are supposedly looking into it.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote