Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
jaceneliot
jaceneliot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O 2 Edition
Cover not at the good scale (and other question)

Hi. Sorry for my bad english

1) I use Calibre and the pluging "Prettify Cover" for making my cover at the good
scale (1080x1440). It works by adding black on the side of the picture, and its
not distort with this black lines. It work pretty good, except for 2 or 3 books.
And i can't figure why... For these, their cover is distort, but like this (screen).

On the third you can see what it should be. The black lines on the side are good, but i can't figure why 2 or 3 books doesnt work and distort when i give the kobo a perfect sized 1080x1440...

Anyone ?

2) I can't understand why the most of my books are okay with that : the title is for exemple "the castle" and the sorting is "castle, the". But for some reason, on or two books aren't sorting like that. Yes i can change it manually, but it's red, and not green... It's not considered as correct by calibre. Mmh so, for the one in english (The), i can understand? But can i add other langage? But i can't understand for the other

3) Last question, i have no problems with serials of books (1,2,3...) except one. I can't understand what wrong but it doesnt sort correctly... screen...

jaceneliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceneliot View Post
Hi. Sorry for my bad english

1) I use Calibre and the pluging "Prettify Cover" for making my cover at the good
scale (1080x1440). It works by adding black on the side of the picture, and its
not distort with this black lines. It work pretty good, except for 2 or 3 books.
And i can't figure why... For these, their cover is distort, but like this (screen).

On the third you can see what it should be. The black lines on the side are good, but i can't figure why 2 or 3 books doesnt work and distort when i give the kobo a perfect sized 1080x1440...

Anyone ?
Did you update the book after using Prettify Cover? The code embedding the cover usually includes the image size. If it has the original size of the cover, that would explain what you are seeing. You can use Polish books or the editor to fix this.
Quote:
2) I can't understand why the most of my books are okay with that : the title is for exemple "the castle" and the sorting is "castle, the". But for some reason, on or two books aren't sorting like that. Yes i can change it manually, but it's red, and not green... It's not considered as correct by calibre. Mmh so, for the one in english (The), i can understand? But can i add other langage? But i can't understand for the other

3) Last question, i have no problems with serials of books (1,2,3...) except one. I can't understand what wrong but it doesnt sort correctly... screen...
Both of those look like language issues. The method to create the sort author and the sorting are language depended. It uses the language set for the book, and if there is none, the interface language. One of the screenshot shows the book has the language is set to French. If other books are set to something else, they will sort differently.

As well as this, there are tweaks that affect the sorting. They affect the handling of articles and are also language specific.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
jaceneliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you update the book after using Prettify Cover? The code embedding the cover usually includes the image size. If it has the original size of the cover, that would explain what you are seeing. You can use Polish books or the editor to fix this.

Both of those look like language issues. The method to create the sort author and the sorting are language depended. It uses the language set for the book, and if there is none, the interface language. One of the screenshot shows the book has the language is set to French. If other books are set to something else, they will sort differently.

As well as this, there are tweaks that affect the sorting. They affect the handling of articles and are also language specific.

Hi, and thanks answer me, with my bad english

So, yeah, i updated on the Kobo the book i changed the cover, of course
I'm happy there is maybe a solution for my problem, but right now, i can't see what you are talking about "Polish Book" or "Editor". The truth is i have no clue how to change that value.

The thing you said about langage works. I try switch from French to english, and it become green. But my problem is that i have books in french, but with english titles. How can i do? Is there a way? Or Calibre didn't think about that?

Last problem, i saw you didn't say anything, do you have any clue for my "series" problem? (1,2,3 = okay and the 4th = wtf?)

Thanks a lot

EDIT: Forget about the last thing, it was because the 4th was tagged "english". Now i switched all my books collection in french and that problem is okay. Stay the two others problems...

Last edited by jaceneliot; 05-25-2018 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 05-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, and thanks answer me, with my bad english

So, yeah, i updated on the Kobo the book i changed the cover, of course
I'm happy there is maybe a solution for my problem, but right now, i can't see what you are talking about "Polish Book" or "Editor". The truth is i have no clue how to change that value.
These are functions in calibre. They will probably be buttons on the toolbar, but, you might need to go into the calibre preferences and add them to the toolbar.

"Polish book" is a function to make some changes to a book without doing a full conversion. One of these is to update the cover in the book and rewrite the cover page code.

The editor is the calibre editor. It allows you to edit the book and fix things in the code or spelling or whatever is needed. You can use this to fix the code for the page the cover is on.
Quote:
The thing you said about langage works. I try switch from French to english, and it become green. But my problem is that i have books in french, but with english titles. How can i do? Is there a way? Or Calibre didn't think about that?
No, I don't think that calibre is designed to handle things like using different languages for the title and the book contents. That would be a nightmare to code for. And most people would just find it confusing. It is also something I don't understand. As far as I can see, if the book text is translated, the title will be as well. With, possibly, the original title as a subtitle.

If you are doing this, then you need to decide which language you are interested in showing. The metadata language, or the book text language. Using the metadata language means that handling in the calibre library is probably correct. Using the book text language will mean that the ebook reading app/device you use can use this for a dictionary and anything else it might use the language for.

But, you can record two languages. Just select both in the language field. I'm not exactly sure how this will be handled, but calibre will probably treat the first language as the language for things like sorting.
Quote:
Last problem, i saw you didn't say anything, do you have any clue for my "series" problem? (1,2,3 = okay and the 4th = wtf?)

Thanks a lot

EDIT: Forget about the last thing, it was because the 4th was tagged "english". Now i switched all my books collection in french and that problem is okay. Stay the two others problems...
I think your edit means you worked out that I mean the series name will follow the same language rules as the title.

As I mentioned, there are ways to adjust this. There are two or three tweaks in the calibre preferences to change how sorting is done. One is to change from "library_order" (articles are ignore for sorting) and "strictly_alphabetic". Another is to set what are articles in different languages. There is an explanation of each of the tweaks in the preferences.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
jaceneliot

Hi ! Mmh i understand. I'm sorry, but i looked everywhere in the options, i can't find what you say. I'm really not good with calibre (yet). Can you explain me how to change that cover problem? I mean, more specificatly ?

Thanks for the langage sorting. But you know, in french, many books keep their english name. So it's not very good for these books. I mean, in the option there is a field where you can add your "*i don't know the word in english, but the word you call thing like "the", "a"...*", but there is already the french and english *"things*", so i don't understand. Any way, it's a little problem, because i can edit manually the books who have english title.

I'm a lot more concerned by the problem with the covers...

For the series, what i wanted to say to you was that the thing who did my serie fucked up was just because the 4th book of the serie was considered as "english", so calibre can have a serie with some books in french and others in english. But in realitiy, all of it were in french, so no problem here, thanks helping me found this problem.

So, now, if you want to be kind a few minut more with me, i would be really happy you indicate to me how to put the correct value for the distortion of the covers

Thanks
Old 05-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Nicolas F
Zealot
Nicolas F doesn't litterNicolas F doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hi ! Mmh i understand. I'm sorry, but i looked everywhere in the options, i can't find what you say. I'm really not good with calibre (yet). Can you explain me how to change that cover problem? I mean, more specificatly ?

Thanks for the langage sorting. But you know, in french, many books keep their english name. So it's not very good for these books. I mean, in the option there is a field where you can add your "*i don't know the word in english, but the word you call thing like "the", "a"...*", but there is already the french and english *"things*", so i don't understand. Any way, it's a little problem, because i can edit manually the books who have english title.

For the series, what i wanted to say to you was that the thing who did my serie fucked up was just because the 4th book of the serie was considered as "english", so calibre can have a serie with some books in french and others in english. But in realitiy, all of it were in french, so no problem here, thanks helping me found this problem.

So, now, if you want to be kind a few minut more with me, i would be really happy you indicate to me how to put the correct value for the distortion of the covers

Thanks
La solution que propose davidfor est d'utiliser la fonction polir des livres pour mettre à jour la couverture dans le fichier du livre. Il est possible qu'une partie du code de la couverture n'ai pas été mis à jour et que les dimensions ne soient pas les bonnes.

(Explaining davidfor's solution in french)
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As I said, either Polish books will be in the toolbar, or you need to add it the toolbar before you can use it. If it is in the toolbar, the icon is a brush or small broom. If it is not in a toolbar, you need to go into the calibre preferences, to the "Toolbar & preferences" page and add it to the toolbar.

Once you have Polish book in the toolbar, you select the books you want to change and press the button. Then you select the options and press OK to do the actions.

There is help on the calibre site to explain how to do all of the above.
Quote:

All that sounds like it is working as designed. The list of articles (that's the word you were looking for) is language dependent. Set the language for the book, and the articles for that language are used. The list is editable. You can add or remove articles as you desire. So, you could add the English articles to the French list and use French language every where. That should get the books sorted as you want.

But, you should look through all the tweaks. There are several that affect sorting with languages. I haven't played with them all as I only have English books, and the sorting works the way I expect it.

If you have more problems with this, I suggest opening a thread in the calibre forum. Maybe someone there will have a better idea of what to do. Or you can open a bug and explain the problem and the developer can decide on how to solve it.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #8
jaceneliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post
La solution que propose davidfor est d'utiliser la fonction polir des livres pour mettre à jour la couverture dans le fichier du livre. Il est possible qu'une partie du code de la couverture n'ai pas été mis à jour et que les dimensions ne soient pas les bonnes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post

Je vois, merci, mais je l'avais compris Ce que j'essayais de lui demander (avec mon anglais^^), c'était comment faire ça. Parce que j'ai besoin d'être tenu par la main sur ce coups là...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As I said, either Polish books will be in the toolbar, or you need to add it the toolbar before you can use it. If it is in the toolbar, the icon is a brush or small broom. If it is not in a toolbar, you need to go into the calibre preferences, to the "Toolbar & preferences" page and add it to the toolbar.

Once you have Polish book in the toolbar, you select the books you want to change and press the button. Then you select the options and press OK to do the actions.

There is help on the calibre site to explain how to do all of the above.

All that sounds like it is working as designed. The list of articles (that's the word you were looking for) is language dependent. Set the language for the book, and the articles for that language are used. The list is editable. You can add or remove articles as you desire. So, you could add the English articles to the French list and use French language every where. That should get the books sorted as you want.

But, you should look through all the tweaks. There are several that affect sorting with languages. I haven't played with them all as I only have English books, and the sorting works the way I expect it.

If you have more problems with this, I suggest opening a thread in the calibre forum. Maybe someone there will have a better idea of what to do. Or you can open a bug and explain the problem and the developer can decide on how to solve it.

THANKS A LOT !!! It worked ! I just polished the book with the cover option, and it worked ! Can i apply that for all my books? Or i take risks? Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
THANKS A LOT !!! It worked ! I just polished the book with the cover option, and it worked ! Can i apply that for all my books? Or i take risks? Thanks again!
Good to hear. Yes, it should be safe to do this for all the books. When the Polish books is run, it should save a copy of the original epub with the type "ORIGINAL_EPUB". If there are any problems, you can restore this and start again. If everything is OK, you can delete these later to cleanup the space.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #10
jaceneliot

Thanks again then!
Old 05-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
jaceneliot

Hi mate! I come her for one last question ! Is there any way to delete all the "original_epub" now i'm sure it's all okay? One script or i don't know what? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #12
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hi mate! I come her for one last question ! Is there any way to delete all the "original_epub" now i'm sure it's all okay? One script or i don't know what? Thanks!
Select all your ebooks (CTRL+A), then Right click -> Remove books -> Remove files of a specific format from the selected books. Then select "ORIGINAL_EPUB" and click Ok.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:16 AM   #13
jaceneliot

Thanks

You know your shit