Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #106
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
add format bug will be fixed in the next release.
Seems to work in B7.

Quote:
As for the arrow order, that's decided by library software that i dont have any control over. I could hack it to reverse, but I'm used to the current ordering
I always end up clicking twice... but not a big deal. Could you at least have the app remember the last save order when it open like it remembers column sizes?

Quote:
1) Move the folder location via the config dialog and calibre should do the rest. But remember this is a beta.
Seemed to work ok with B7... thanks.

Ok, I take this back. Here's what I think happened. All the files were coppied over to the new location. But, it seemed that the new db location wasn't saved when I opened it again. So, I edited the config again and I think it moved an empty db it has created in the old location to the new location. This time it seemed to save the location. I was able to move the populated db from trash and all seems ok now.

Also I can now see the fonts on Leopard.

Thinking of getting a Drobo and putting the db on it... then access it via multiple computers. I don't know if that supports fscnt or whatever that is.

As for copy single file. When I had .mobi selected it worked without error when I had all books selected. I looked at my books and only saw a few. I realized that the rest were .PRC files... so I changed single file type to .PRC... selected all and did Copy PRC only... I got this error:

argument 1 must be string or read-only buffer, not None
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py", line 714, in save_single_format_to_disk
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py", line 731, in save_to_disk
File "calibre/gui2/library.pyo", line 156, in save_to_disk
File "calibre/library/database.pyo", line 1551, in export_single_format_to_dir
TypeError: argument 1 must be string or read-only buffer, not None

Other than this looking good so far.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #107
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, for the first time I hooked my PRS500 to my Mac. Calibre saw it and I was able to move a book to it. It even made a collection out of the series name. Very nice.

BOb
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #108
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Seems to work in B7.

I always end up clicking twice... but not a big deal. Could you at least have the app remember the last save order when it open like it remembers column sizes?
It used to do that, but them people would leave sorted by something other than date and forget and when they added new books, they wouldn't show up at the top of the list and I'd get bug reports about add books not working...

Quote:
Seemed to work ok with B7... thanks.

Ok, I take this back. Here's what I think happened. All the files were coppied over to the new location. But, it seemed that the new db location wasn't saved when I opened it again. So, I edited the config again and I think it moved an empty db it has created in the old location to the new location. This time it seemed to save the location. I was able to move the populated db from trash and all seems ok now.

Hmm just tried it, it remembered the location for me.

Quote:
Also I can now see the fonts on Leopard.

Thinking of getting a Drobo and putting the db on it... then access it via multiple computers. I don't know if that supports fscnt or whatever that is.
If it's mounted as a USB disk, fcntl based locking will work on it.

Quote:
As for copy single file. When I had .mobi selected it worked without error when I had all books selected. I looked at my books and only saw a few. I realized that the rest were .PRC files... so I changed single file type to .PRC... selected all and did Copy PRC only... I got this error:

argument 1 must be string or read-only buffer, not None
Detailed traceback:
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py", line 714, in save_single_format_to_disk
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py", line 731, in save_to_disk
File "calibre/gui2/library.pyo", line 156, in save_to_disk
File "calibre/library/database.pyo", line 1551, in export_single_format_to_dir
TypeError: argument 1 must be string or read-only buffer, not None

Other than this looking good so far.

BOb
Will be fixed in next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #109
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Error when I try to add this htm book to library (up to now any other htm file went thru well).
BTW, the htm reads fine in firefox.
---
alessandro
---

Building file list...
Parsing literature/murakami/dance_dance_dance.html
Open ebook created in /tmp/calibre_0.4.84b8_sqVa7s_create_oebzip
Output saved to /tmp/calibre_0.4.84b8_A02JlU_html2oeb_gui.oeb.zip
File "<string>", line 469, in add_books
File "<string>", line 503, in _add_books
File "library.pyz/calibre.gui2.library", line 145, in add_books
File "library.pyz/calibre.library.database2", line 472, in add_books
OperationalError: user-defined function raised exception
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #110
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Send me this html file
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #111
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Performance over the wire to an SSH mounted drive is pretty good, much better than the old version, especially for I/O operations such as adding books.

I still think it would be great to have a network version of the database driver for this situation, but I guess that's pretty far down the list of priorities. If there was a drop-in solution that would be ideal, but as there is none, it requires some coding changes. I've taken a look at this and I started working on it on my own build but it went horribly wrong and I have had to start over. My Python skills just aren't up to snuff yet. Hopefully once I get through my current mind-numbing round of certification study I will be able to try again.

In the meantime, this is really fantastic! Thanks Kovid.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #112
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Basically it would entail switching to some database neutral SQL backend like sqlalchemy or the Qt SQL drivers. Once that's done, adding support mysql or any other supported backend would be trivial.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #113
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Basically it would entail switching to some database neutral SQL backend like sqlalchemy or the Qt SQL drivers. Once that's done, adding support mysql or any other supported backend would be trivial.
That's the approach I had had started, but never made it too far because of interfering work. I'm very familiar with ODBC/JDBC and I'm guessing QT SQL drivers are similar in that sense that are platform and backend neutral. I'll have to keep playing with it, maybe next week.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #114
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there something like the sybase Advantage Data Base Server in open source? Essentially using the same code/drivers it can be an in process data base or a client/server database with the change of a configuration.

Not really my platform area.

BOb
Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #115
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is there something like the sybase Advantage Data Base Server in open source? Essentially using the same code/drivers it can be an in process data base or a client/server database with the change of a configuration.

Not really my platform area.

BOb
Not that I'm aware off, but them I'm no database guru either.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #116
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
Send to device greyed out

I am in the UK and have just received my Sony Reader so I am very excited. I have been playing with Calibre for some time - buying .lit books and converting to lrf.

I am currently using B8 and when I plug my Reader into my MacBook Air it is recognised and the volume mounts on the desktop. The problem is that the 'Send to device' button is greyed out and i can't click on it. I am having to copy my files directly to the mounted volume.

Is this a bug? Should the button be working OK?

Cheers.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #117
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah it should be working. What version of OSX is it and what does running

Code:
prs500 info
in a terminal give you?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #118
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
Quote:
yeah it should be working. What version of OSX is it and what does running prs500 info in a terminal give you?
Hmmm. I get:

Unable to detect the PRS505 disk drive. Try rebooting.

Meanwhile the drive is mounted on my desktop and perfectly accessible directly!
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #119
Derry
Derry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Hi,
I'm late to the party with regards to downloading the new beta, changed jobs this week and haven't had the chance to check in until yesterday. So far so good with the beta, and I just want to say special thanks for including the recipes for the Irish Times and the International Herald Tribune, extending the API to deal with the Herald Tribune case was above and beyond the call of duty.
A million Thanks
Derry
Derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #120
jacobyte
jacobyte began at the beginning.

Device: sony e-reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
Hmmm. I get:

Unable to detect the PRS505 disk drive. Try rebooting.

Meanwhile the drive is mounted on my desktop and perfectly accessible directly!
Same here (Mac OS X 10.5.4, new UK PRS-505).

Have tried both the current stable release and the beta.
Neither sees my PRS-505 although it is mounting fine in Finder.

Any ideas?
jacobyte is offline   Reply With Quote