Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
JDM1
JDM1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Why is Overdrive only on Aura One ?

I have several Aura H2Os and had hoped that they would eventually support Overdrive directly.

Will that ever happen ?

If not, Why ?
JDM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
You'll need to ask Kobo.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
JDM1

Ok, not sure how to ask Kobo.

I had hoped someone from Kobo might read this thread.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM1 View Post
Ok, not sure how to ask Kobo.

I had hoped someone from Kobo might read this thread.
Kobo have no official presence here. There are Kobo people here, but, they generally don't make themselves know. And Kobo have never commented on this sort of question.

As to why they have not put full OD support on the other devices, I can only think of two reasons. One is to keep the Aura ONE as a premium device with something extra that the other devices don't have. The other is if there is some licensing they have to pay. If the cost of this is included in the price of the Aura ONE, that would explain not adding it to the older devices. But, I would have expected it to be in the H2O2.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
It seems silly not to put it on all their devices, especially since they own Overdrive.

For one thing, if you have a KA1 and say, an Aura HD, downloading a library book to the KA1 via sync makes that library book available on the Aura HD after sync as well. A nice thing, as I can put the KA1 to charge, yet continue reading on my Aura HD.

But maybe they are afraid the large screen alone on the KA1 isn't enough to sell it, so they want to keep the library access to the flagship device only. But they might be wrong, as I bought mainly for the extra screen size.

Seems to me that adding Overdrive access to the whole line up would be a nice way to have more people consider a Kobo over a Kindle. But in general, I don't think Kobo cares to much about the U.S. market.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Another reason could be that they are taking the time to evaluate how much having OverDrive on the device is affecting ebook sales.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
It seems silly not to put it on all their devices, especially since they own Overdrive.
Kobo do not own OverDrive. The company that owns Kobo also owns OverDrive. That is an important distinction to make as there can be regulations preventing deals happening between companies in these situations of the same deal isn't offered to other companies. Also, charging between the companies can be used as accounting methods to move the costs around to a preferred location. (I am not an accountant or lawyer, so I by understanding is minimal and I might have it wrong. )
Quote:
For one thing, if you have a KA1 and say, an Aura HD, downloading a library book to the KA1 via sync makes that library book available on the Aura HD after sync as well. A nice thing, as I can put the KA1 to charge, yet continue reading on my Aura HD.
Borrowing a book in OD just adds it to your Kobo library. They would probably have had to do a lot of work to prevent it from downloading to the other devices.
Quote:
But maybe they are afraid the large screen alone on the KA1 isn't enough to sell it, so they want to keep the library access to the flagship device only. But they might be wrong, as I bought mainly for the extra screen size.
I think this is the most likely reason. Plus the costs of development (producing the resources and testing the UI at different size). The latter might mean they don't want to invest any more time and money until they see a payoff.
Quote:
Seems to me that adding Overdrive access to the whole line up would be a nice way to have more people consider a Kobo over a Kindle. But in general, I don't think Kobo cares to much about the U.S. market.
Yes, I think Kobo are making a mistake in not extending the function. They have chosen not to at this point. Hopefully they have good reasons.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:30 AM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Another reason could be that they are taking the time to evaluate how much having OverDrive on the device is affecting ebook sales.
That makes a certain amount of sense, tho I suspect the folks who have regularly used their library are not the folks spending a ton on books. I've always read tons, but don't do a lot of buying. Simply can't afford to buy often when I'm reading 100+ books yearly. Could be a very expensive habit with ebooks!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 01:40 AM   #9
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo do not own OverDrive. The company that owns Kobo also owns OverDrive. That is an important distinction to make as there can be regulations preventing deals happening between companies in these situations of the same deal isn't offered to other companies. Also, charging between the companies can be used as accounting methods to move the costs around to a preferred location. (I am not an accountant or lawyer, so I by understanding is minimal and I might have it wrong. )

Borrowing a book in OD just adds it to your Kobo library. They would probably have had to do a lot of work to prevent it from downloading to the other devices.

I think this is the most likely reason. Plus the costs of development (producing the resources and testing the UI at different size). The latter might mean they don't want to invest any more time and money until they see a payoff.

Yes, I think Kobo are making a mistake in not extending the function. They have chosen not to at this point. Hopefully they have good reasons.
It may just be a matter of time. And yes, you are right about the ownership of Overdrive. I do think that not adding the feature to other devices has potential to alienate current customers, as I suspect many would like the feature, but don't all want a large screen device.

I'm hoping they do add it to the line, but clearly they need to be sure it is a positive for sales.

I will say this, I almost NEVER turned on the wifi on the Aura HD. Since owning the KA1, while I haven't bought any new books from Kobo YET, I'm being tempted far more to do so! And probably will. Syncing often for library books has put some recommended books on my radar. Likewise for seeing my wish list on the new home screen. Hoping for a Kobo gift card for Mother's Day....

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 02:02 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
It may just be a matter of time. And yes, you are right about the ownership of Overdrive. I do think that not adding the feature to other devices has potential to alienate current customers, as I suspect many would like the feature, but don't all want a large screen device.
There are some people here who object to anything being added that they are not interested in. Personally, I hope they only spend time on new features I want, but am completely unsurprised when they ignore my wants
Quote:
I'm hoping they do add it to the line, but clearly they need to be sure it is a positive for sales.
I think it is only a matter of time, but if it never reaches the older devices (Touch, Glo, Aura) I won't be surprised.
Quote:

I will say this, I almost NEVER turned on the wifi on the Aura HD. Since owning the KA1, while I haven't bought any new books from Kobo YET, I'm being tempted far more to do so! And probably will. Syncing often for library books has put some recommended books on my radar. Likewise for seeing my wish list on the new home screen. Hoping for a Kobo gift card for Mother's Day....
You have hung the ad in the visible places? On the TV, the fridge, wrapped around the remote control...
Old 05-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
JDM1

Talked with Kobo support, but they had no answere.

Suggested I leave feedback, so I did, suggesting they make overdrive available on the H2O

Others could do the same:

https://ca.kobobooks.com Click feedback
Old 08-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
Hartsock
Enthusiast
Hartsock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Coming in on this very late but did not feel it was appropriate to start a new thread.

Lack of Overdrive integration downstream from the Aura One is keeping me from buying a new H2O. My Aura Hd is just fine and without Overdrive the H2O is not enough of an improvement for Kobo to get my money. The Aura One is too large for how I use my reader. As far as I know the basic hardware is identical for the new H2O and Aura One.

I surmise as others have that fear of cannibalization of their book sales is driving the decision making. In my case I don't think they would lose any sales. I get books from the library for my Aura HD that I would not buy for myself. For an author I am committed to I will happily spend my money with Kobo.
Hartsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #13
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I suspect this feature is restricted to the Aura One to encourage customers to trade-up to the most expensive (and probably most profitable) model. Features like this are cynically referred to as a "price enhancer".
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #14
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I suspect this feature is restricted to the Aura One to encourage customers to trade-up to the most expensive (and probably most profitable) model. Features like this are cynically referred to as a "price enhancer".
cynically or correctly it depends on your perspective, no prizes for guessing mine.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote