Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Could selling ebooks on media get around geo restrictions?

The situation as I understand it is:

If Amazon.com sell me a pbook, the sale is deemed to take place where they are (US), so is OK for a US-only book, even though they ship it to me (in the UK).

If Amazon.com sell me an ebook, the sale is deemed to take place where I am (UK), so is not OK for the same US-only book.

What if they had a scheme to put a copy (DRM to my Kindle for PC if they like) on to physical media, and post that? Where would that have been sold - where they are presumably?

Would this be a way for a bookseller to circumvent geo restrictions, or would it not work? In practice, I guess the problem would be extending the DRM to allow the file to be imported, but the international Kindle offering is a bit rubbish (IMHO) at present without something like this because so many books are US-only.

Thoughts?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote