Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2018, 02:24 AM   #1
phin586
phin586 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
unbrick a pw3

Hello,

I recently bricked my PW3 and i am in the process of attempting to correct it now. I recently ordered a 1.8V serial adapter and I am first attempting to fully charge the device for 24 hours in hopes a reset with the power button works after a full charge.

Is it possible to access the device without the USB adapter or is that a requirement?
phin586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Required.
Try reading the directions while waiting for the adapter to arrive.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
phin586

Any specific post you would care to point me too? I am looking over the getting started thread and do not see much for the pw3. I have already been reading a few of the others and am pretty good with soldering skill and have used a similar process in the past to fix phones (just cant find that damn adapter i had).

And it appears a full charge did not fix my issue, so i will be taking her apart.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For things that depend on the basics of the system and its layout, all series 5 (touchscreen) Kindles are the same (at least in principle) EXCEPT the newest Kindle model (KOA2).

Prefix tags and model mentions in thread titles have two different meanings, usually you only have context to guide you on which was meant:

1) "This thread is specific to model XYZ"
Will not work on anything else.

2) "This thread was written using model XYZ as an example."
In general, should be similar to all similar models (keyboard or touchscreen or ...).

The following is in the #2 category:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
(Only filenames change to match the model of Kindle actually being used.)

Ah, use the "filter by prefix" thingy on the forum index for your model
AND
The general prefix "tools"

Note: The prefix tags where recently trashed (deleted) so they are not anywhere near as complete (as they once where ((they where never actually complete, now they are more incomplete than before )) ).
The "Master Index" pages where not affected by that accident.

Last edited by knc1; 07-29-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
phin586

Awesome. Thanks. Looks like the process is simple enough once i get access to the console. I was going to toss this thing out but i came across this board and i figured it was at least worth a try to save it.
Advert
Old 07-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by phin586 View Post
Awesome.
- - - -
See how easy this all is?
You already know the name of the touchscreen Kindle's window manager (Awesome - https://awesomewm.org/ ).
Old 07-29-2018, 10:48 PM   #7
phin586

I actually was surprised to read that it runs Xorg and linux. I had assumed it was an android derivative (yes still linux, but different userland/graphics management)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

The color Kindles (different forum) are Android.