Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As I said, way back at the start of this thread, the only way amazon replaces covers is if the ASIN is set to a valid value. calibre by default sets it to a UUID, which amazon does not recognize. So dont set it. You can always check what metadata is in a particular file by opening it with the calibre viewer and clicking the show metadata button.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #17
gabrielscunha
gabrielscunha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
After much trial-and-error testing, I can confirm this issue is somehow related to calibre's version.

I tried rolling back until version 3.0 and the issue was still present.

I then did a fresh install of version 2.85.1, and voilá, all my converted from epub AZW3 files transferred via USB with calibre are keeping their covers.
gabrielscunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #18
PriW
PriW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was having the exact same problem with my PW2.

So I tried a bunch of stuff this night. And I think I was getting in the bottom of it.

What was working: putting all the books in epub, deleting all other formats, and then I had 2 options:

1. Download the amazon metadata of the book, convert to mobi then use the ASIN fix to get the ASIN from Amazon.

OR

2. Clear all ids from the epub file, the only thing that worked lefting was the tags, the rest, including the comments had to be clean. Then converting to mobi or azw3.

With this, the covers stayed. If I did anythig different, it the covers would vanish. If I skipped using the epub and deleting the rest before, the covers would vanished even if the book had the correct amazon ASIN or no id at all.

I tried converting a few to azw3 too with this metod and worked.

I tried doing number 1 and change the cover to another one that I liked better in one of the books. As I suspected, the cover blinked and change, but rater then vanishing, it was replaced with the amazon cover.

Then I was going to do more tests, but my internet went down, so I couldn't. ¬¬

Today, when I woke up, the internet was already restablished and I began to do the tests again but, out of the blue, everything started to work. When this problem started weeks ago, I deleted a book that had the cover in the kindle and sent again, just to the cover disappear. So I sent this file again, without doing anything to it, and the cover stayed. I sent then a bunch of books, doing nothing, and so far, none of the covers vanished. I even delete from kindle e resend the book that I had changed the cover to see if the kindle would replace it againg but it didin't.

And apparently you tried now to use a older version of calibre (that I had tried before, not one as old, but one that was worinkg fine before, with no luck) and worked. I'm beggining to think that the problem actualy just resolve itself, just like it just appperaed before. I'm wondering if you try now to use the newest calibre the problem will be gone for you too?

Anyway, in case the problem come back, we can try those steps, because I think the problem was still persisting when I tried them, since if when I did something different the covers were still vanising, unlike now (at least so far).
PriW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only change in calibre that could be relevant in the last year is increasing the size of the cover thumbnails sent to Kindles (needed for newer models) but that change was months ago and I doubt it suddenly started causing problems.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #20
willboliva
willboliva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielscunha View Post
After much trial-and-error testing, I can confirm this issue is somehow related to calibre's version.

I tried rolling back until version 3.0 and the issue was still present.

I then did a fresh install of version 2.85.1, and voilá, all my converted from epub AZW3 files transferred via USB with calibre are keeping their covers.
That worked for me too so far.

I've tried an older version before but it was one of the 3.x series and the problem persisted, after trying the 2.85.1 version the covers of books (also azw3 converted from epub) transferred via usb are not vanishing anymore after I turn on the wifi.

Last edited by willboliva; 07-11-2018 at 01:58 PM.
willboliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kindle, no cover, send to kindle, thumbnaill