Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2018, 06:37 AM   #1
roginlon
roginlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Transfer to new Kindle fails for some books

I have just upgraded my Paperwhite to the latest version and I get a error message when trying to transfer some books as follows:

calibre, version 3.25.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 5] Input/output error: '/Volumes/Kindle/documents/May, Peter'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 591, in _upload_books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 314, in upload_books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 1011, in create_upload_path
File "lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/Volumes/Kindle/documents/May, Peter'

It was no problem with the old Kindle, but now some books work and some do not. Anyone come across this before?
roginlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's an input/output error, that means there was an error trying to create a new directory on the Kindle. This is typically a hardware issue. You can try resetting the Kindle and/or use a new usb cable/port.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
roginlon
roginlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks. I first suspected something along those lines, but then I noticed that it failed repeatedly for the same book while it worked for others with the same connection. Maybe the file is corrupted somehow. I will try to download it again and reset Kindle if still not working.
roginlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #4
fluffy-spider
fluffy-spider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I don't know what caused the problem in my case but I could fix the file system using fsck https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=205605
fluffy-spider is offline   Reply With Quote