Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #32371
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
And the drama continues.

Almost three weeks ago we thought we came to an agreement that my uncle wanted a certain amount of money and assurances that he won't be sued for the money he basically stole from my grandmother. My aunt's lawyer (AL) asked about one of the bills my uncle's lawyer (UL) had send, because it was addressed to my uncle and not my grandmother. UL answered that my uncle wanted that amount of money. We decided that we didn't like it but that we would agree with it and emailed UL that an agreement was going to be made.

Over the past two weeks that agreement has been changed and approved my my aunt, my father and the solicitor dealing with my grandmother's estate. And last Thursday it was send to UL, on the deadline he had set. On Saturday we got an email from him that since my aunt doesn't agree with the agreement my uncle wasn't going to sign it. Neither us nor my aunt knew what he was talking about. We later got an email from our lawyer (OL) to confirm a phone she had made to him (from her vacation address) and he never answered this.

We didn't know what was said during that phone call, but today she called us and explained. Him blaming my aunt is total BS, what had happened was that the deadline for UL to send in his "Letter of Grievances" to the court is the 21st, and he wasn't sure OL and AL were going to approve an extension of this deadline. This week he's on vacation, so, just in case the agreement wasn't approved he already wrote the Letter of Grievances and send it to my uncle for approval. Apparently my uncle liked this letter so much that he didn't want to sign the agreement anymore.

OL is pissed, because even though nothing was signed yet, there is a legally binding agreement. My uncle set his demands, we agreed to it and he can't just pull out. So why UL agreed to doing it is a mystery. Since UL hasn't answered to OL's email we don't know what's happening. It has been decided today that OL and AL aren't going to agree with an extension unless there are assurances that my uncle will sign the agreement. If they send in the Letter of Grievances to court OL is going to try to get it declared inadmissible. If the court accept the Letter we're going to claim back the money we spend on the negotiations. My father spend over €5000 over the past months on the negotiations and agreement, then there is the money for OL and the money for my grandmother estate's solicitor. Plus, that we're seriously considering suing my uncle for the money he stole from my grandmother plus the lawyer's fees a judge had said he had to pay back to my grandmother's estate (almost €25000). We're not afraid for the continuation of the case, the judge has already said my uncle was one point behind us. We're allowed to react to the Letter of Grievances, so we can let the judge know what has happened, and that won't reflect well on my uncle and his lawyer. We're even considering reporting UL for doing things that aren't allowed.

If the case goes through we're not going to offer more money, we want to pay the amount the previous court had set (which this judge thought was a fair amount). During the negotiations my father agreed to pay a third more, plus €10000 to my uncle. That's going to be off the table now. Basically we're ready to string up my uncle by a certain body part and break him.

We've agree to wait until next week, when UL is back from vacation and see if and what his answer is. If that isn't satisfactory we're going into battle.

To be continued...
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #32372
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
And the drama continues.

Almost three weeks ago we thought we came to an agreement that my uncle wanted a certain amount of money and assurances that he won't be sued for the money he basically stole from my grandmother. My aunt's lawyer (AL) asked about one of the bills my uncle's lawyer (UL) had send, because it was addressed to my uncle and not my grandmother. UL answered that my uncle wanted that amount of money. We decided that we didn't like it but that we would agree with it and emailed UL that an agreement was going to be made.

Over the past two weeks that agreement has been changed and approved my my aunt, my father and the solicitor dealing with my grandmother's estate. And last Thursday it was send to UL, on the deadline he had set. On Saturday we got an email from him that since my aunt doesn't agree with the agreement my uncle wasn't going to sign it. Neither us nor my aunt knew what he was talking about. We later got an email from our lawyer (OL) to confirm a phone she had made to him (from her vacation address) and he never answered this.

We didn't know what was said during that phone call, but today she called us and explained. Him blaming my aunt is total BS, what had happened was that the deadline for UL to send in his "Letter of Grievances" to the court is the 21st, and he wasn't sure OL and AL were going to approve an extension of this deadline. This week he's on vacation, so, just in case the agreement wasn't approved he already wrote the Letter of Grievances and send it to my uncle for approval. Apparently my uncle liked this letter so much that he didn't want to sign the agreement anymore.

OL is pissed, because even though nothing was signed yet, there is a legally binding agreement. My uncle set his demands, we agreed to it and he can't just pull out. So why UL agreed to doing it is a mystery. Since UL hasn't answered to OL's email we don't know what's happening. It has been decided today that OL and AL aren't going to agree with an extension unless there are assurances that my uncle will sign the agreement. If they send in the Letter of Grievances to court OL is going to try to get it declared inadmissible. If the court accept the Letter we're going to claim back the money we spend on the negotiations. My father spend over €5000 over the past months on the negotiations and agreement, then there is the money for OL and the money for my grandmother estate's solicitor. Plus, that we're seriously considering suing my uncle for the money he stole from my grandmother plus the lawyer's fees a judge had said he had to pay back to my grandmother's estate (almost €25000). We're not afraid for the continuation of the case, the judge has already said my uncle was one point behind us. We're allowed to react to the Letter of Grievances, so we can let the judge know what has happened, and that won't reflect well on my uncle and his lawyer. We're even considering reporting UL for doing things that aren't allowed.

If the case goes through we're not going to offer more money, we want to pay the amount the previous court had set (which this judge thought was a fair amount). During the negotiations my father agreed to pay a third more, plus €10000 to my uncle. That's going to be off the table now. Basically we're ready to string up my uncle by a certain body part and break him.

We've agree to wait until next week, when UL is back from vacation and see if and what his answer is. If that isn't satisfactory we're going into battle.

To be continued...
Right ON. I hope you guys hang his sorry ass. Seriously, this is crazy.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #32373
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Right ON. I hope you guys hang his sorry ass. Seriously, this is crazy.

Hitch
Ditto.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #32374
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They are too strong, these glasses which is why I'm having problems. I'm told I'll get use to them eventually. In the meantime I have found out sliding them down to sit on the tip of my nose reduces power and I'm able to see perfectly. It looks a little funny but works.

My prescription prescription is
Left: Sph -5.00 Cyl 1.75 Axis 00.5
Right Sph -4.50 Cyl 1.75 Axis 00.9

It's a significant change from my old prescription which was from 2008. I have to go back when hubby's are finally in and tell them to give me the Pupillary Distance. They forgot to this time.
If you're 45+, you will not 'get used' to them. You just don't have as much accommodation in your eyes as when you were younger, and if your glasses are correct for distance vision, you won't be able to see near things in focus.

I'm 54, and I now have varifocals which work well for me in general use - especially when driving, so I can read the dashboard controls!

But if you're under 40, it sounds like they may have got the prescription wrong, either in the test, or in the lenses. An optician should be able to quickly verify that the lenses are made to the new prescription correctly. If they are, then perhaps a re-test?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #32375
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you're 45+, you will not 'get used' to them. You just don't have as much accommodation in your eyes as when you were younger, and if your glasses are correct for distance vision, you won't be able to see near things in focus.

I'm 54, and I now have varifocals which work well for me in general use - especially when driving, so I can read the dashboard controls!

But if you're under 40, it sounds like they may have got the prescription wrong, either in the test, or in the lenses. An optician should be able to quickly verify that the lenses are made to the new prescription correctly. If they are, then perhaps a re-test?
I think Blossom said she had been wearing her previous glasses for a long time - so long that she'd gotten to the point where she couldn't see much in the distance - and now she suddenly has a current much stronger prescription - so I suppose it's possible that it would take some time to adjust to such a big change even if the new prescription is correct and there is no presbyopia issue.

I had point during the progression of presbyopia where I had been wearing bifocals that had a distance portion and a reading portion, using the distance portion at the computer. Then when I got the next pair of bifocals with a stronger distance portion I could no longer see the computer clearly so I had to go back and get trifocals. They charged me only for the difference between the bifocal and trifocal price.

My experience has been that when I was a teenager I sometimes needed new glasses (for distance) every year; in my 20's, 30's and early 40's I could wear the same glasses for several years. But once I got to late 40's/early 50's it seems like I need new glasses every year.

The good thing is the computer glasses I bought a few years ago continue to be usable - I have been able to adjust the distance from my chair to the screen a little to compensate. So I haven't had to keep buying new computer glasses.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #32376
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yes, computer glasses are good, as my workday is mostly in front of a computer. The issue I have is that occasionally I forget to change to my regular glasses when I have to leave to do something else.

The worst is when I have to drive somewhere while wearing the computer glasses, and don't realize it until I'm several blocks from the parking lot.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #32377
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am loosing 10% battery life overnight on my gold oasis And that is with the screen shut off. Today my battery went from 100% to 57% and I only read for 30 minutes. That's 43% loss in like 10 hours!

I can not get deliveries at my address. 100% of packages Amazon sends me gets stolen for their drivers just dump packages outside the office building 3 blocks away. I live in the inner city so any homeless person can just steal it so I asked to be sent to amazon locker where I can drive to whole foods and pick it up. they said no. I told them to forget it. I know the delivery will not reach me. After every package ( 9 in a row) get lost/stolen I have no faith in getting this to me safely so i said forget it. I just have to live with a crap device I paid $300 for

I reset it made no difference. I think I will load all my books to my nook and call it a day

Oh and I had this bad tooth pain last week. My dentist is out of town and booked up all this week. I found another dentist and right before appointment they office canceled for the dentists doctors wife went into labor. Finally got in on Monday, Tooth is infected and needs a root canal and a crown which I can not afford so its getting pulled tomorrow
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #32378
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I am loosing 10% battery life overnight on my gold oasis And that is with the screen shut off. Today my battery went from 100% to 57% and I only read for 30 minutes. That's 43% loss in like 10 hours!

I can not get deliveries at my address. <snippage>

I reset it made no difference. I think I will load all my books to my nook and call it a day

Oh and I had this bad tooth pain last week. My dentist is out of town and booked up all this week. I found another dentist and right before appointment they office canceled for the dentists doctors wife went into labor. Finally got in on Monday, Tooth is infected and needs a root canal and a crown which I can not afford so its getting pulled tomorrow
Hi,

Does that mean you can't send it to your work address? I'm really surprised that they won't send it to a locker. What about a PO Box?

Sorry about that tooth pain--that's horrible, I know it all too well.

Hitch
Old 08-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #32379
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi,

Does that mean you can't send it to your work address? I'm really surprised that they won't send it to a locker. What about a PO Box?

Sorry about that tooth pain--that's horrible, I know it all too well.

Hitch
I am not allowed to have packages sent to work
Old 08-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #32380
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I am not allowed to have packages sent to work
PO box or locker, maybe? I agree, it sucks.

Hitch
Old 08-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #32381
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:

Hitch
I'm not sure but I think Amazon discourages shipping to PO boxes as it locks them into using the USPS. Somewhere around half of my Amazon shipments come by UPS or FEDEX. That's especially true for larger packages.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #32382
HLS
Wizard

Quote:

Hitch
I dont have a box. I asked them to send it to an amazon locker which we have at our whole foods and they said it cant be done.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #32383
HLS
Wizard

My face hurts! The shots wearing off. Took them two hours to extract the molar. One of the roots was stuck and they could not get it out. Also my wisdom tooth they say is bad down to the nerve and they are surprised i am not in pain so I get to go back in two weeks for my wisdom tooth to get extracted
Old 08-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #32384
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
My face hurts! The shots wearing off. Took them two hours to extract the molar. One of the roots was stuck and they could not get it out. Also my wisdom tooth they say is bad down to the nerve and they are surprised i am not in pain so I get to go back in two weeks for my wisdom tooth to get extracted
Ouch! I know you must be dreading having another extraction so soon.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #32385
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
What about a place like The UPS Store? Anything like that near you? You can rent a PO box there but they'll also accept UPS and FedEx packages for you.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness