Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
BookWalker
Enthusiast
BookWalker began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro
English words being recognized as Arabic

I've been having a problem with Kindle Previewer not allowing me to export to mobi because it does not support Arabic and Indian languages. This has puzzled the heck out of me.

When I try to convert same epub in Calibre to mobi, it does it but then Previewer tells me something is wrong with the file and nothing loads. Same thing upon loading it in Kindle for PC.

Finally I find in Calibre's Editor, which I'm totally illiterate at using btw, and I see 156 words that I recognize as English and they are listed as Arabic. How can I fix this???

I really need to get all of these words recognized as English and to be able to create a mobi file via Kindle Previewer.

BookWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
If you plan to publish your book on Amazon you should be aware of this restriction from the KDP Arabic page:

Quote:
KDP accepts Arabic language content only in Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx) formats.
Arabic language books sold on Amazon are only delivered to customers in KFX format. MOBI and KF8 (azw3) are not allowed. That is why Kindle Previewer 3 does not allow you to export an Arabic book in MOBI format.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-28-2018 at 03:51 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
BookWalker
Enthusiast

We do want to publish it on KDP and are aware of this, thus the problem. The book is in English. I have no clue why some words are being recognized as Arabic. And it has nothing to do with fonts.

To give an example of just a handful of words that Calibre is saying are Arabic, and that I'm sure Kindle Previewer is picking up the same:

a
and
with
what
whatever

These are clearly English words, so why is it saying they are Arabic?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Have you checked the language set for the book in the opf?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
BookWalker
Enthusiast

I just saw in the edit metadata section that the language was set as both English and Arabic. I changed it to English, saved a file, took it into Kindle Previewer and it finally let me export it. So this was the problem.

What a relief to have this solved!

Thanks for your input!!

Tags
arabic, english, kindle previewer, mobi conversion