Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Philip Pullman announces new His Dark Materials Trilogy

Philip Pullman has announced that a new Dust trilogy about Lyra that he is calling an "equel" (as in not prequel, not sequel) will be released starting in October. Folowers of the MobileRead Book Club will remember that we read the first book in the original trilogy, Golden Compass (UK: Northern Lights) in January, 2015. Having waited 17 years for more about Lyra, I figure this qualifies as news.

The original BBC article announcing the upcoming publication is here.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
1- Either he found something new to say with those characters or...
2- ...he's been suffering the worst case of writers block in recent times, or...
3- ...the publisher pulled an Asimov on him and threw enough money at him he had no choice...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I vote for #3
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:32 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think it's more a bit of 1 and 2.

From the Wikipedia article about it:

Quote:
In a message on his website in April 2005, Pullman wrote that The Book of Dust was "under way".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
1- Either he found something new to say with those characters or...
2- ...he's been suffering the worst case of writers block in recent times, or...
3- ...the publisher pulled an Asimov on him and threw enough money at him he had no choice...
Reading this I thought of the stereotypical cop show informant:

"Yeah, my memory is a little hazy. Maybe $20 would help me remember"
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
Reading this I thought of the stereotypical cop show informant:

"Yeah, my memory is a little hazy. Maybe $20 would help me remember"
With Asimov it was that Doubleday kept asking for more FOUNDATION and he kept saying that story was done, he had nothing to say, wasn't sure he could get back into that frame of mind...

He wasn't asking for more money, he just wanted to write other things.

They showed him a (relatively) big check and essentially guilted him into going back to the series. The classic deal you can't refuse.

(I don't remember the actual sum but in today's money it was around $80-100k. For a SF book circa 1980 that was unheard of.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
With Asimov it was that Doubleday kept asking for more FOUNDATION and he kept saying that story was done, he had nothing to say, wasn't sure he could get back into that frame of mind...

He wasn't asking for more money, he just wanted to write other things.

They showed him a (relatively) big check and essentially guilted him into going back to the series. The classic deal you can't refuse.

(I don't remember the actual sum but in today's money it was around $80-100k. For a SF book circa 1980 that was unheard of.)
A more positive offer than say ---

The Godfather: Don Corleone
"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote