Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Locating Epub Files

If I purchase an epub from Amazon, iBooks or whoever, there should be a new file in my computer. But where is it located?

I discovered the path to epubs I buy from Apple:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books

But when I navigate to that folder, I'm able to open the files in iBooks but not in Sigil. Are epubs simply designed to "lock out" people who buy them, so they can't accidentally mess up the html?

There's one file I want to locate in particular - an epub I'm working on. I accidentally messed up one file that isn't in my backup. So the only way to retrieve the correct XHTML is to access the copy that I can view in iBooks.

To put it another way, I can preview this book in iBooks. But if I delete THIS BOOK from iBooks, then double-click THIS BOOK on my desktop, it will load the epub back in iBooks, but with the flawed file, not the original.

So, if the correct version is presently viewable in iBooks, is there a way to 1) view the XHTML, 2) copy or export it or 3) locate a copy that can be opened with Sigil, BBEdit, or some other program?

Thanks.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
I discovered the path to epubs I buy from Apple:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books

But when I navigate to that folder, I'm able to open the files in iBooks but not in Sigil. Are epubs simply designed to "lock out" people who buy them, so they can't accidentally mess up the html?
This is in general info and not specific to your own book you have in iBooks, but a) Be aware not all books you buy from Apple will be ePub's. b) A lot of the books, depending on publisher/author, will have DRM which prevents you from doing much with them.

As for iBooks on a Mac you might want to give this a read and see if it helps...
https://www.robertsetiadi.com/gettin...nes-mavericks/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
If you purchase it through Amazon using your desktop:
- you need to go to your Amazon account on the internet and select Manage Your Content And Devices.
- find your book on the list and click the "..." button
- select "download & transfer via usb"
- the file will show up in your downloads folder

If you purchase it using your device then it should automatically download to your device. However, you can still use the above procedure to get it onto your computer.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
As for iBooks on a Mac you might want to give this a read and see if it helps...
https://www.robertsetiadi.com/gettin...nes-mavericks/
Wow, interesting. The files in my folder have .epub extensions. But, according to this article, Apple compresses them and mangles them until you can no longer edit them.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:54 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon does not sell ePub. So there is no directory on your computer for ePub from Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon does not sell ePub. So there is no directory on your computer for ePub from Amazon.
True....however I'm pretty sure everyone knew what was meant when the OP said "epub".

The file you get using the procedure I mentioned above can be easily converted to an ePub format using free tools such as Calibre. Of course, you need to check your local laws to ensure that format shifting is allowed.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote