Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #1801
crissman
Connoisseur
crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura H20,Kindle PW1
Trying to Figure out a problem with Storing and uploading reading positions within Calibre and Goodreads.

I never had a problem with my setup using my KA1 for several years. Both Kobo Utilities and Goodreads Sync but ever since it died and I bought the Kobo Forma I have been having issues.
All settings have remained the same with the exception of changing it to reflect the use of the Forma.

Problem: After finished reading books and starting new books, plug the Forma in and Calibre goes through the cycle of get list of books and updating metadata on device then when it would have normally automatically search for new reading status (finished/started) it does not.

If I manual try to "Store" the positions (highlighting the specific books in calibre) it goes through the process without errors but does not update the fields in calibre accordingly even though it shows the it shows the percentage read properly (fields remain empty) and then when proceeding to upload the currently reading and read status to Goodreads it shows a -1 under progress with no dates.

Last week I had been able to "manually" about to achieve a status update both in Calibre with Kobo Utilities and Goodreads Sync and Goodreads website of 10% read to currently reading but never automatically since receiving my Forma in March. But this week nothing works properly.

Any help would be much appreciated, I know this post would encompass 3 plugins and calibre but felt this would be the correct forum to post it in for further suggestions for help.

Thanks Crissman
Kobo Forma 32GB (4.22.15190)
Calibre Version: 4.19 (64 bit)
Kobo Utilities 2.11.0
Kobo Touch Extended: 3.2.12 (using the Kobo Touch Driver not the extended)
Goodreads Sync: 1.14.2

I have attached screenshots to reference everything for clarity.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-06-25 154434-1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	180195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-06-25 154434-2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	180196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-06-25 154434-3.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	180197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-06-25 154434-4.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	180198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-06-25 154434-5.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	180199  

Last edited by crissman; 06-25-2020 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Forma Info
crissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #1802
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Looking at the first screen shot, the "Show reading positions changes" dialog, it shows the profile being used is "Chrysandra" and the device detected is "(Unknown device)".

The other screen to look at is the "Kobo Utilities Options" dialog. That shows an obscured profile name (which should be something other than "Chrysandra") that is for the device "Kobo Forma". If you look at the second tab, the device "Kobo Forma" will be listed.

In the settings, there will also be a profile called "Chrysandra". This is probably set to use "*Any device". And it will have a different set of custom columns than the "Chrysandra" profile.

The issue is that the plugin has lost the connection between the "Kobo Forma" device and the actual device. This usually happens a factory rest is done. There is identifier in the file "driveinfo.calibre" on the device. This is created by calibre the first time it sees the device, or whenever there isn't one. It has an identifier in it that calibre gets from the device and will change when a factory reset is done. It might change at other times, but, it would probably mean a reformat of the book partition. That means that if you setup device in the plugin, do a factory reset, calibre and the plugin will see the device as a new device. And if you look at the device list in the configuration dialog when it is connected, the "Status" column will not show an icon to indicate it is connected.

What is happening is that the plugin sees the device and works out which profile to use. Because it cannot identify the device, it is using the "Chrysandra" profile. This is getting the reading status, but, it isn't putting the progress into the custom column that the Goodreads Sync plugin uses. Hence the stats aren't showing properly.

The fix is to reidentify the device in the plugin and update the profile you are using to point to it. But, if you are only have one device, then I recommend just using one profile and having that use the "*Any device" option. You can probably delete the "Chrysandra" profile and change the one you have for the Kobo Forma.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2020, 10:30 PM   #1803
crissman
Connoisseur
crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura H20,Kindle PW1
Ok, that helped.

The obscured screenshot was also Chrysandra. Missed obscuring the first screenshot I had 4 devices and two profiles one for myself and one for my husband's kobo Libra H20. I had a total of 4 devices two each which were our 2 of our older devices.

I removed all profiles and all devices and re-added my forma with my "new" profile and all is well now.

Thanks Davidfor
crissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #1804
svda
Connoisseur
svda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
My Kobo Aura HD has received an updated firmware/database version.
Since then, I cannot send files to my Kobo using calibre.
Also converting to kepub does not work.

The general error is : Error communicating with device
calibre, version 4.19.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 160.
Device firmware version: (4, 22, 15190)

Doing as suggested seems to work for sending files to aura hd, but will calibre be updated for this new firmware/database ?

Last edited by svda; 06-26-2020 at 07:52 AM.
svda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:09 AM   #1805
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svda View Post
My Kobo Aura HD has received an updated firmware/database version.
Since then, I cannot send files to my Kobo using calibre.
Also converting to kepub does not work.

The general error is : Error communicating with device
calibre, version 4.19.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 160.
Device firmware version: (4, 22, 15190)

Doing as suggested seems to work for sending files to aura hd, but will calibre be updated for this new firmware/database ?
Have you read and followed the instructions in the message? It is all there. And if you have any questions about this after a firmware, you should look in the Kobo forum. There will always be a thread discussing the latest firmware version. It will include a statement about the calibre support.
Advert
Old 06-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #1806
svda
Connoisseur
svda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
Well, you even quoted the answer to your own question. Yes I did. But I never experienced this as long as I'm using Calibre.
svda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #1807
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by svda View Post
Well, you even quoted the answer to your own question. Yes I did. But I never experienced this as long as I'm using Calibre.
It's happened often enough which is why the option Attempt to support newer firmware is there. Generally, a new firmware release will be supported in the next release of calibre. With the staggered nature of Kobo's firmware rollouts, the chances are pretty good that you will receive the updated calibre before you get the updated firmware.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #1808
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I noticed something that may or may not be a bug:

When connecting an eBook reader, the date that appears in the pop-up window for updating the last read date column seems to display the date in GMT time instead of the timezone of the eBook reader/computer. It's still July 8th here, and the date that appeared was July 9th. When it updated the column it adjusted for the timezone and showed July 8th though.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #1809
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I noticed something that may or may not be a bug:

When connecting an eBook reader, the date that appears in the pop-up window for updating the last read date column seems to display the date in GMT time instead of the timezone of the eBook reader/computer. It's still July 8th here, and the date that appeared was July 9th. When it updated the column it adjusted for the timezone and showed July 8th though.
It's ages since I looked at this, but, I remember wrestling with the timezone for this and giving up. The problems revolve around working out the timezone the device uses, how the device handles timestamps (at least two formats) and how calibre handles timestamps. I think I decided to just show the raw value and let calibre handle that. But, I suppose it should show whatever is going to be shown in calibre after the store is finished. I'll have another look when I get a chance.

And for the record, I hate handling timezones. I always get it wrong the first time.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #1810
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And for the record, I hate handling timezones. I always get it wrong the first time.
And the second, and then the third... Dates and encoding are a whole source of problems when programming, every body should be living in the same timezone (without energy savings changes to complicate things) and using the same encoding. The live of millions of programmers would be much easier
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #1811
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
To add insult, only my Tablet is Timezone aware. All the rest are simply dumb Clock -Calendars .
I guess we could 'assume' the the date-timezone (on the device) is the same as Displayed on the PC, and make correct the saved value.

Maybe the driver could have-store a 'device is TZ aware' T/F that others could retrieve for use with their PI
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #1812
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using a Kobo Aura HD, if that matters at all. There's an option to change the timezone in the settings.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #1813
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm using a Kobo Aura HD, if that matters at all. There's an option to change the timezone in the settings.
But, it isn't stored where I can see it when the device is connected.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #1814
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
The same problem exists on my Forma and Libra. It's been driving me nuts but at least now I know the reason it is occurring. ;-)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #1815
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
The same problem exists on my Forma and Libra. It's been driving me nuts but at least now I know the reason it is occurring. ;-)
I recognized the issue because I've seen the Unix Epoch adjusted for timezones before. When that happens, I see December 31, 1969.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-13-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Tags
calibre, kobo, kobo utilities, kobo-utilities, plugins