Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
I believe people are highly sensitive and concerned about the formation of monopolies, monopsonies, oligopolies, and what not, due to the fact that only few players dictate the whole publishing and book market.
Ding. Ding Ding!

Bad enough 6 multinationals try to run roughshod over everybody, violating laws willy-nilly, why be *happy* at the prospect of the most "liberal" (which is itself a reach, I'll admit) of the six being subsumed into the most reactionary one?

Not good for readers, not good for libraries, and in the end it won't even be good for the stockholders.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #32
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
I am sure Kim Dotcom would have agreed with you, until New Zealand Police placed him in custody in response to US charges of criminal copyright infringement. It's a sad fact that the arm of US lobbyists reaches far beyond mere US borders.
And then released him on bail while further enquiries were made... and probably not going anywhere now as much of the "evidence" is regarded as suspect...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #33
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Rupert Murdoch Wants to Start a Billion Dollar Bidding War for Penguin
Quote:
Rupert Murdoch doesn't want to let the rumored Penguin and Random House merger happen so easily, so he's put in a last minute bid to buy Penguin for $1.6 billion. In Cash.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #34
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Murdoch claims that 70% of Penguin authors expressed doubts about Random House in phone conversations with their mothers...

Last edited by CommonReader; 10-29-2012 at 03:33 AM.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #35
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Murdoch claims that 70% of Penguin authors expressed doubts about Random House in phone conversations with their mothers...

And here I thought he would have learned from the News of the World Murdochgate.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #36
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
The deal was confirmed this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20120485

Random House will be in the driving seat, with a 53/47 per cent split
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Double bubble
toil and trouble
see how the industry shrinks.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #38
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
And we now know that it's "Penguin Random House".

Which still sounds like igloo-squatting in the Arctic.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #39
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I wonder how this will influence pricing. Penguin immediately embraced the agency model, while Random House dragged its heels and apparently only capitulated because its titles were not available through the Apple iBookstore.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #40
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
Penguin consistently never has covers on Overdrive library books. Wonder if this will affect Random House books...
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #41
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Dang it. I was hoping it wouldn't happen. Penguin has some of the highest book prices out there. I consistently have to get Penguin books from my library. Honestly I'd rather buy, but they hardly ever put things on sale and several of the paperbacks are 9.99 rather than even 7.99. Pout.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #42
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Speaking with that single voice via collusion and strongarming is what landed them in antitrust court. And why, given that collusion is now off the table for at least five years, they are looking to merge their declining pbook business to achieve the same effect.

Merger = legal collusion. (In their view. Just read their justifications.)

This is not a good thing for any reader, regardless of what you may think about Amazon.
I agree.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #43
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhamm View Post
Penguin consistently never has covers on Overdrive library books. Wonder if this will affect Random House books...
Lack of covers is the least of our concerns.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #44
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Dang it. I was hoping it wouldn't happen. Penguin has some of the highest book prices out there. I consistently have to get Penguin books from my library. Honestly I'd rather buy, but they hardly ever put things on sale and several of the paperbacks are 9.99 rather than even 7.99. Pout.
Perhaps Random House will force Penguin to accept the agency settlement?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #45
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Perhaps Random House will force Penguin to accept the agency settlement?
I guess it all depends on who is buying whom. And which CEO is in charge? I don't know. Mergers don't usually mean lower reader costs and penguin has resisted sale prices/lowering prices. I'm not saying they have to give their books away, but I can buy Amazon's four for three with free shipping paperback cheaper than an ebook price. And that ends up driving me to used books to get them even cheaper.

Shrug. Well, I'll just keep shopping for the lowest price. Meanwhile I have several in my watch list. If they go down, I'll know about it!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote