Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
AceVentura
AceVentura began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle in landscape mode cropping pdfs at top and bottom

I have a kindle 4 non-touch. I go to great lengths to crop my pdfs so that I can read them confortably on the Kindle (converting to mobi is not an option because the pdfs are complex and have equations, tables, etc). However, when I'm in landscape mode, the Kindle always crops a tiny strip on the top and the bottom of every page (left and right are fine). I am very careful with the cropping to leave the content of the pdf intact and remove only the white margins, and in the original file the top and bottom of every page look fine.
Moreover, for some reason, the additional cropping is present only in landscape mode. In portrait mode I can see the complete page just fine, but it is too small to read.
Any ideas?
AceVentura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I've had some problems with that in the past with some PDFs, even in portrait orientation. One workaround I came up with was to create annotation lines just above and just below the text. This prevented the auto-cropping from stepping over this line. You can reduce the opacity of the lines so that they are not particularly visible (don't remember if 0% opacity works or not).

Equivalently you could draw a box annotation around the whole page, but I never had it over-crop the sides.

Kindle Touch has a completely different PDF renderer (they used Adobe RMSDK before) so I don't know if it has this problem. Of course KT does not do landscape at present...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
AceVentura
AceVentura began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I solved it by adding thin headers and footers with Acrobat Reader Pro.
But in case I need later, can you tell me how can I add the annotation lines?
AceVentura is offline   Reply With Quote