Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
simogere
simogere began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Problems importing ebooks

Hi guys, I have a problem with calibre trying adding my ebooks. I have about 1000 ebooks each one in its folder. The file name is like "Stephen King - The dome.pdf". I tried adding all my files with the option "Add books from directories" (the second option from the adding menu), but almost all the metadata are wrong. The cover is ok (I think it extracts the first page of the pdf file). I tried to set up in "Preferences -> Adding books" this expression "(?P<author>[^_]+) - (?P<title>.+)" unchecking the option "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name". With those settings, the import works fine and it import the correct title and author, but there's no cover! I would to know if there's any solution for my problem. Maybe an option to download the covers directly from the file.

I don't know... but I'll appreciate any kind of suggestion.

Thank in advance, Simone.

Last edited by simogere; 10-20-2010 at 07:35 PM.
simogere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
simogere

Any tip?
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I thought Calibre extracted the cover from the book as it was importing, so I'm not sure what happened in your case.

If you highlight one of your books you can do this manually:
  • Press the EditMetadata button.
  • Highlight one of the formats in the 'Available formats' box (top right).
  • Click the small brown book icon -- top left of 4 small icons surrounding the 'Available formats' box.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I think you're seeing two different sets of behaviour: When you're reading metadata from file content, Calibre reads the metadata from the files including the covers, but most of your files seem to have garbate metadata. When you read from file name, what information can be extracted is correct, but, as Calibre doesn't look for metadata inside the files, the covers don't get extracted.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
simogere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I think you're seeing two different sets of behaviour: When you're reading metadata from file content, Calibre reads the metadata from the files including the covers, but most of your files seem to have garbate metadata. When you read from file name, what information can be extracted is correct, but, as Calibre doesn't look for metadata inside the files, the covers don't get extracted.
Yes, It's works like you said. I would to know if is it possible to add ebooks without reading metadata but reading the cover!

Simone
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by simogere View Post
Yes, It's works like you said. I would to know if is it possible to add ebooks without reading metadata but reading the cover!
No. .
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
With those settings, the import works fine and it import the correct title and author, but there's no cover! I would to know if there's any solution for my problem. Maybe an option to download the covers directly from the file.
There is a quick manual solution that gets the cover from the book. Select 1 book, open edit metadata window then click on the brown book icon (see attached) and then click the OK button down the bottom.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
simogere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
There is a quick manual solution that gets the cover from the book. Select 1 book, open edit metadata window then click on the brown book icon (see attached) and then click the OK button down the bottom.
Ok, I know, but I should do this way for for all my 1000 ebooks... 1000 times! It would be useful to do this "cover extraction" for all the ebooks only one time.

Last edited by simogere; 10-23-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Ok, I know, but I should do this way for for all my 1000 ebooks... 1000 times! It would be useful to do this "cover extraction" for all the ebooks only one time.
Calibre can get metadata from inside files, from filenames, or from opf files. You've got good cover metadata inside, but the rest of the internal metadata is bad. If there's a button to get the good cover from inside, should there also be a button to get good titles, but ignore author? Or one for getting good publisher info, but ignoring ... You see the problem?

In fact, there is an option like this on the ToDo list to pick and choose the metadata being imported, but Calibre is volunteer supported, so it gets done when someone has the time and inclination to do it.

I'm pretty sure you can actually do what you want to do using existing Calibre command line tools, but you'll have to write a lot of batch files and play around to get it done.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote