Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Remember, all portable devices can be lost or stolen. As far as I know, there's no way to make a Kindle secure. If it falls into the wrong hands, you can't stop the bad guy from switching it on and reading the documents.
This is just as true of a brief case.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
barkndog
Enthusiast
barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle DX (1st gen), iPad, Toshiba Thrive, Acer Iconia A100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think pretty much all your questions have been answered. However, you didn't say "which" kindle. The Kindle DX has a larger screen and can display an A4 PDF document very will without the need to reformat or dumb it down.

Why not give the guys a choice. Make it available for them online as a PDF and/or email to their Kindle DX?
I'm sure it would be the DX, if nothing else for the readability.

I see now that the solution will not be simple, and even less practical. If I find a way to make it work, I get a free Kindle from my company for testing. Thanks to all for the insight concerning the Kindle, I didn't want to say I could do it without investigating first, you folks have given me a lot of information.
barkndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
So here are some questions. You folks know how you can download a 'book' that lists the available books. Isn't this available for mobileread books???

So, could there be a book that provides links to the documents. These links could even be standard links that are replaced with updated 'books' when the materials change.

Now, in terms of security one thought comes to mind. Each board member could be provided with a unique book encrypted to their Kindle's PID. If this book is in basic Kindle encryption then it would provide rudimentary protection. It would be breakable by anyone who is mildly adventurous but most people won't care to break it. However, the azw1 format is still unbroken. Perhaps you could contact someone at Amazon and see about producing protected 'books' that are tied to each user account/Kindle.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #19
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
One further thought to add to the mix ....

Remember, all portable devices can be lost or stolen. As far as I know, there's no way to make a Kindle secure. If it falls into the wrong hands, you can't stop the bad guy from switching it on and reading the documents.

BarkNDog, I take your point about board members not wanting to carry laptops around, but at least a laptop -- and the documents on it -- can be password-protected against casual snoopers.
Well, that's some harsh reality right there, LOL
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote