Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #106
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Please ignore, the next post is a much more sensible idea

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-27-2018 at 02:24 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #107
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
EDIT: And I have no idea how to find the dictionary sizes in bytes for the devices. I noted elsewhere that while my 17 dictionaries weigh 112 Mb on my computer (whether on the PC or the devices), they weigh much less as seen in the Kobo parameters).
Right-click on the file in a file explorer -> properties -> the really big number (or the one in parentheses) usually is the file size in bytes. At least, that is how it usually works in Windows or Linux with KDE).
If you're using the same fr-de dictionary I downloaded from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=98 then its size is 1594055.

Last edited by taos; 04-27-2018 at 02:23 PM.
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #108
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Not a tutorial, but it's the best I can do Using the image 3, from my previous post, as a reference...
  1. Double-click on the Dictionary entry in the left column to display the contents of the current Dictionary table.
  2. In the top right box where image 3 shows select * from ... type
    Code:
    insert into Dictionary values('-fr-de','Français - Deutsch','true',1594055,'','true')
    N.B: the value 1594055 needs to be the exact size of your dicthtml-fr-de.zip file in bytes.
  3. Once you have constructed the above SQL command with the correct size value, press [F9] to run it (or using menu Execute > Execute SQL).
  4. Check your result, if successful, the Dictionary table will have closed. Repeat step 1 to view it again. Your new row will be displayed - probably as the last row.

I recommend making a copy of the database on your PC first so you can practice running an SQL command.

Alternatively, if the above is too confusing it may be worth having a look at the different SQLite utility used by surquizu in the post I linked in my previous post. It looks like it might be more of a "fill-in-the-boxes" way to add a new row.
Dear Jackie,
Thank you for your help. The version I found fo SQLiteSpy doesn't have the select * from like yours, but just Dictionary. I inserted your line all the same with the number I found in "properties", but F9 brings an error message: near "[CODE]": syntax error.
I had doubts about whether there were spaces or not around the - between Français and Deutsch so I tried both (as a matter of fact I inverted everything since my dictionary is the Deutsch - Français).
I had already saved the database.

EDIT: here is what I wrote
Code:
insert into Dictionary values('-de-fr','Deutsch-Français','true',5018977,'','true')
I'd tried it first as
Code:
insert into Dictionary values('-de-fr','Deutsch - Français','true', 5018977,'','true')

Last edited by anacreon; 04-27-2018 at 03:32 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #109
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
Right-click on the file in a file explorer -> properties -> the really big number (or the one in parentheses) usually is the file size in bytes. At least, that is how it usually works in Windows or Linux with KDE).
If you're using the same fr-de dictionary I downloaded from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=98 then its size is 1594055.
Thank you Taos, I should have thought of it - though I always wondered why there are two different numbers for file size and size on the disk. My dictionary though is the de-fr, not the fr-de, and its size is 5018977.

EDIT: I found it on mobileread a long time ago, and don't remember where.

Last edited by anacreon; 04-27-2018 at 03:16 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #110
sjordi
sjordi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O 2nd, iPad Pro 9.7, Kindle PaperWhite
Gee,
I can't believe they didn't patch the problem with the bookmarks...
If I flip the top corner of a page to bookmark it, turn off, turn back on. Gone. No bookmarks.
That renders the reading useless when I'm interrupted.
I talked about that here
sjordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #111
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for your help. The version I found fo SQLiteSpy doesn't have the select * from like yours, but just Dictionary.
That's fine, the select * from... was just me trying to point you at the correct box on the screen into which you needed to type your SQL code insert into....

Quote:
I inserted your line all the same with the number I found in "properties", but F9 brings an error message: near "[CODE]": syntax error.
That looks as if it may just be a problem with your copy/paste. When I posted the sample SQL it was wrapped in [CODE] tags, which it looks like your copy selection may have accidentally picked up.

Quote:
I had doubts about whether there were spaces or not around the - between Français and Deutsch so I tried both (as a matter of fact I inverted everything since my dictionary is the Deutsch - Français).

I'd tried it first as
Code:
insert into Dictionary values('-de-fr','Deutsch - Français','true', 5018977,'','true')
Your first attempt was correct. I just tried to run that SQL command on a copy of my database and it ran OK.

Keep trying, we'll get there in the end

P.S. It's possible that you may need to reboot the Kobo once you've successfully managed to update the database.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #112
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
My dictionary though is the de-fr, not the fr-de, and its size is 5018977.
Sorry, I mixed up the two. Just checked again with the de-fr this time (I guess it's the same, my downloaded file has the exact same size). After adding it to the database and a reboot it seems to work.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #113
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjordi View Post
Gee,
If I flip the top corner of a page to bookmark it, turn off, turn back on. Gone. No bookmarks.
I talked about that here
I'm not seeing this problem. I just tried it using a kepub on a KA1. My dog-ear bookmark is retained even if I do a full power off/on again.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #114
taos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
Another thing, that just came to my mind: I can't get the firmware to match "Русский" in the database to "\x0420\x0443\x0441\x0441\x043a\x0438\x0439" (Русский) in the Kobo eReader.conf file.
Is it possible that text in the database is always utf-8 encoded whereas the firmware expects utf-16 encoded strings in Kobo eReader.conf? Name of the extra language "Русский" is only shown correctly in the language settings menu if I use the utf-16 code (see above), with the utf-8 representation "\xd0\xa0\xd1\x83\xd1\x81\xd1\x81\xd0\xba\xd0\xb8\ xd0\xb9" the new entry is rendered as "Ð*ÑÑÑкий" in the GUI. How does this work for Japanese or Chinese?

Last edited by taos; 04-27-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #115
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I'm happy to report that I went ahead and customized and compiled the patch for the newest software and installed it on my Touch — and now I'm no longer having issues with ePubs. I wish I was smart enough to know what changed it, but I'm not. Seems to be working well, though. Thank you.

EDIT: Well, I guess it's not completely fixed. Now I can't change the font in ePubs (KePubs still work) and it seems to take forever to load books. And now the fast page turn feature no longer works in KePubs? Odd. (see below)

EDIT 2: Okay, the new fast forward is not working because I have a very small margin at the bottom and I have to touch within that small margin. Which means the dictionary will work on words right down to the bottom (on the Touch anyhow). I can make the backwards and forwards buttons work, but I have to be on the very bottom corners.

EDIT 3: Forget pretty much everything I said about fonts in the above EDITs. The font issue was my fault, I chose "yes" in one source file and left "no" for the other. All fonts in ePubs now work and they change quickly (except the Publisher Default, which is odd, but it's probably something I did).

Last edited by rcentros; 04-27-2018 at 09:10 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #116
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Gee,
I talked about that here
As with jackie_w, I don't have any issues here either. Are you using sideloaded or purchased books? And for sideloaded, what format?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:39 AM   #117
saisay
saisay began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
My Kobo h2o (this one, not edition 2) is not updating to the latest firmware when I sync. Is this a rolling release or something?
saisay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #118
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
My KA1 slowly loads the book cover block by block when going to sleep. Otherwise it seems to work fine.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #119
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisay View Post
My Kobo h2o (this one, not edition 2) is not updating to the latest firmware when I sync. Is this a rolling release or something?
It depents on your device but you can always update it manually, which is pretty easy to do and only take a minute. Get the correct firmware from the first post.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #120
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Quote:
Gee,
I talked about that here
I dont have that problem on my h2o 2017 so guess its only related to your type of device or maybe a user error?
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote