Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Survey says: Publishers may sell eBooks direct

I take internet surveys from time to time, and I took one today about eBooks!

I told them that I use an Ectaco jetBook Lite, and that I spent no money on eBooks in 2010 and 2011, and a fair amount on print books in 2010. Then we moved on to what was apparently on their mind.

The questions asked how I would feel about buying eBooks from the publishers themselves. I said: no DRM, no geographical restrictions, lower prices, multiple formats.

They asked a couple of times about how important I felt the ability to share the eBook is.

They asked what I would do if the release of the eBook of my favorite author was delayed - buy the hardback or wait for the eBook. I said, buy the hardback.

They asked (multiple choice) about advantages of eBooks and advantages of print books. I added one, that many eBooks are of out of print books.

Unfortunately, I forgot to state somewhere my primary desire, that they get off their duff and make eBooks of out of print backlist titles.

That was the first survey I've taken about something I'm really interested in!

PS - They also asked if I would be interested in a flat fee subscription - such as ten books for a set price. I said no.

Last edited by GA Russell; 04-14-2011 at 05:27 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
It's interesting you were able to share this with us! I take internet surveys also and the site I take the survey through makes you sign a confidentiality agreement not to share the contents of the surveys.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that is often the case with me too, but not this time for some reason.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Interesting, I think a subscription model could work though although not for some ludicrous thing such as 9.95 for ten books. What we need is access to the publisher's back catalog, these out of print books you mention.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i'm one of those people who breeze through the first reading out of excitement and reread it again in the future, so a subscription model wouldn't work for me :P
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

They also asked if I would be interested in renting a book for a short time.

I said no. I imagine that there are many here who would say yes, but I answered the questions speaking only for myself, not as a representative of the general mobileread membership.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I have never read a book twice so I would love to see a netflix type subscription service.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Perhaps I misunderstood their meaning of the word "subscription". I took it to mean not something like Netflix, but rather pay a fairly large price up front and then routinely receive books over an extended period of time.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
They also asked if I would be interested in renting a book for a short time.

I said no.
Hmm.

Renting seems to have a built-in implication of DRM, otherwise it wouldn't be much different than a sale. No interest here either.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
great about 12 new DRM schemes, it's not as if these publishers can play nice-nice with each other for long.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
News to you that many print publishers used direct selling way before ebooks hit the scene? This effective marketing technique is well tried and tested. Just a shift of focus these days to its even greater potential in the internet age. Sales hit rates remain the same on a per-approach basis, but there's now massive scope for the approach so actual direct-sale figures are higher. Power to their elbows. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I wish you had posted the link to the survey for the rest of us to chime in.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Would this be in addition to Amazon, et al, or instead of?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
I wish you had posted the link to the survey for the rest of us to chime in.
ditto. Could you post the link? I'd like a chance to weigh in if possible.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood their meaning of the word "subscription". I took it to mean not something like Netflix, but rather pay a fairly large price up front and then routinely receive books over an extended period of time.
There are different ways to do subscriptions. I like "all you can eat" models where as long as you maintain your subscription you can access all the providers content. I have that kind of a subscription with a technical ebook site as well as a music site. Netflix works that way as well for their streaming content. That kind of model would cover the people who like to re-read things.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote