Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #196
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Short version: file transfer through a USB cable works OK, the battery indicator seems to show contradictory results, the Remarkable developpers seem responsive but they don't commit to too much. And Vojislav has a nice cat.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #197
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
I originally bought remarkable for reading pdfs (mostly math related), as the preorder price was quite reasonable (compared to sony). After almost a month I have to say - it's good for this (though I hope the reading software will improve), but I actually use it most of the time for writing. Despite all of its imperfections it's simply great (there are many imperfections in the software).

BTW if anybody has still any questions you can ask me - I guess all interesting questions were already answered in Vojislav's videos, but still.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #198
Klerelo
Klerelo began at the beginning.

Device: reMarkable, Sony DPT-S1, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kobo Aura H2O and One
I have received it a few days ago and I am delighted with it. I didn't expect to receive a cover case along with, actually I didn't expect to ever receive anything from this company with all the delays and excuses... but now, I am happy to be rewarded with my patience (ordered it last November!).

I have own many ereaders (Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One, Nook Glowlight Plus, Sony PRS-160, Sony DPT-T1, etc. so eink technology is a familiar thing to me. I love reading books with ereaders. And I already use the Sony DPT-S1 as a notebook. I also own Wacom Cintiq tablets, among them the Cintiq 13HD which I use on a daily basis.

The reMarkable is better for writing than any other electronic device I have used so far. The feeling to write on real paper is much better: no lag, no gap between the tip and the written surface.

However, my main concern is that I cannot get it connected to Calibre (on a Mac). Could someone please help me? Thanks
Klerelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:29 AM   #199
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
BTW if anybody has still any questions you can ask me - I guess all interesting questions were already answered in Vojislav's videos, but still.
We basically have the same use case (down to the scientific domain), so basically I just have to wait for my unit to arrive (preordered in august, so it should be about a month).

From Vojislav's videos, it looks like switching between reading a document and writing in notes (not on the document itself) will take some time and a number of taps. What's your feeling on this? (read page in book, switch back to personal notes and calculations, go back to book...)

Also, my understanding from Vojislav's videos is that the software is not best possible when it comes to moving stuff around in notes, other than in the same page - no moving pages around, no copy/pasting from one page to another or one document to another. Is that correct?
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:50 AM   #200
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
From Vojislav's videos, it looks like switching between reading a document and writing in notes (not on the document itself) will take some time and a number of taps. What's your feeling on this? (read page in book, switch back to personal notes and calculations, go back to book...)

Also, my understanding from Vojislav's videos is that the software is not best possible when it comes to moving stuff around in notes, other than in the same page - no moving pages around, no copy/pasting from one page to another or one document to another. Is that correct?
You're right on both things - to move between notes and documents requires 3 taps (or at least I didn't find a method for doing it faster) and there is no rearranging/copying/etc between different pages. I don't find the first thing that bad (though it could be way better - not sure whether a sony-like split view, with a document on one side and notes on the other would be reasonable on a screen of this size), but the second one bothers me quite a bit.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #201
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Xen; 08-22-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #202
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs up

Last edited by Xen; 08-22-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #203
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
That would be a major deal breaker for me. Guess I'll just have to save my money a wait for a second generation model or hope that the upcoming Onyx Boox products live up to expectations.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #204
psv
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
Does anybody know if it supports landscape mode? I don't think I've seen that mentioned and can't remember now if I saw it being used in landscape mode in the video review I watched. It's not a deal breaker but it is a feature that ought to be added if its not already incorporated.
Landscape mode works for writing (it just rotates the menu) but not for reading.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #205
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Landscape mode works for writing (it just rotates the menu) but not for reading.
If you have a PDF document that's in landscape orientation, are you saying that you can't read it that way?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #206
psv
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you have a PDF document that's in landscape orientation, are you saying that you can't read it that way?
(sorry for being late)
I tried a landscape pdf, and it was automatically displayed in the landscape orientation. So there seems to be no way how to choose the orientation manually (for displaying pdf's), but the device does it automatically (at least for the one pdf I tried)
Old 10-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #207
Klerelo
Klerelo began at the beginning.

Device: reMarkable, Sony DPT-S1, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kobo Aura H2O and One
The dimensions (approx.) of the device are 17.7 cm x 25.7 cm x 0.7 cm
Klerelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #208
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
(sorry for being late)
I tried a landscape pdf, and it was automatically displayed in the landscape orientation. So there seems to be no way how to choose the orientation manually (for displaying pdf's), but the device does it automatically (at least for the one pdf I tried)
Thank you. That's good to know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:01 AM   #209
The Great Null
The Great Null began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Few quick questions:

1) Is there any official forum for remarkable customers? Quick googling shows only mobileread.
2) Is changelog for device firmare available anywhere?
3) Would it really kill them to provide preorder status data like occulus did? Their blogpost regarding the issue doesn't really inspire much confidence.
The Great Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #210
leselysten
Enthusiast
leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: reMarkable,Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Null View Post
Few quick questions:

1) Is there any official forum for remarkable customers? Quick googling shows only mobileread.
2) Is changelog for device firmare available anywhere?
3) Would it really kill them to provide preorder status data like occulus did? Their blogpost regarding the issue doesn't really inspire much confidence.
  1. No, not yet
  2. So far there have been no new firmware versions released. If you go here you'll find their github account with commit log to their linux kernel here.
  3. This is updated almost every day. What more would you need?
leselysten is offline   Reply With Quote