Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #121
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Hmmm. So is the day coming when side-loaded books will have to be kepub to play nicely with Kobos? I have a lot of old epubs. A LOT. Sure don't want to have to convert them all!
As long a Kobo supports books with Adobe DRM, then it will support sideloading ePubs. And I think if they did drop that support, they would change the kepub renderer to handle epubs without the kepub modifications.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #122
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As long a Kobo supports books with Adobe DRM, then it will support sideloading ePubs. And I think if they did drop that support, they would change the kepub renderer to handle epubs without the kepub modifications.
If Kobo dropped Adobe DRM support, there would be hell to pay as that would mean no more library eBooks. That's not going to happen since Rakuten owns Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #123
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Kobo dropped Adobe DRM support, there would be hell to pay as that would mean no more library eBooks. That's not going to happen since Rakuten owns Overdrive.
Except there are other ways to handle this that don’t involve Adobe DRM and presumably Kobo would have developed their own way if they did ever drop Adobe DRM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Except there are other ways to handle this that don’t involve Adobe DRM and presumably Kobo would have developed their own way if they did ever drop Adobe DRM.
How are there other ways as Adobe owns the DRM and time litmied DRM for ePub could very well be copyrighted by Adobe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #125
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How are there other ways as Adobe owns the DRM and time litmied DRM for ePub could very well be copyrighted by Adobe.
I’d like to introduce you to a small company you might have heard of called Amazon. And before you whine that you can’t get amazon books from the library directly to a kindle I’ll remind you they don’t own overdrive.

Of course since this is all over your hyperbolic response to David giving an example of what would be a sign Kobo was giving up ePub support (and even then he had a caveat) it’s pretty much moot.
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #126
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I was under the impression that when you borrowed from a library using the Kobo device, that it downloaded a time limited DRMed kepub?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #127
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I usually edit my books to be one file per chapter and a TOC entry per file, and to remove overly specific font styling, but one thing I noticed the most is page numbering jumping between chapters, and stats bring messed up.
Is this in 4.16.13337? Or before? The firmware I have seem to be fine.
Quote:
P.S. One pet peeve of mine is the books with a whole file just for the title of the chapter, and with the content in another file, not in the TOC, but referenced using the spine.
For a book chapter, I would generally agree. I've seen a couple of books where I agreed with it. But, I'd probably add a ToC entry for the actual text.
Quote:
I partly disagree with this, but only with regards to fiction. I believe publishers get too much freedom with EPUB, and tend to abuse it (especially for fiction). The font overriding wars is an example of this, and using divs for everything and using CSS to make it online, increase the font size, look like a paragraph, and so on.
The body font I agree with. It would be nice to be able control that separately to fonts used elsewhere. My problem with Jon's campaign is that I see no reason to cram everything together. A few extra page turns per book doesn't hurt. And I like a little style in the books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #128
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is this in 4.16.13337? Or before? The firmware I have seem to be fine.
It's the previous versions.

Quote:
For a book chapter, I would generally agree. I've seen a couple of books where I agreed with it. But, I'd probably add a ToC entry for the actual text.
You wouldn't want to merge them?

Quote:
The body font I agree with. It would be nice to be able control that separately to fonts used elsewhere. My problem with Jon's campaign is that I see no reason to cram everything together. A few extra page turns per book doesn't hurt. And I like a little style in the books.
Yes, that makes sense. Maybe Jon would rather read fb2 ebooks ? If you convert them to epub, you get the most consistent and boring look I've ever seen (but the best compatibility).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #129
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
As for the patches which will be deprecated or rewritten (so far), see src/version/4.16.13337/patches.md on GitHub.
I have a couple of comments about this file:
  • Could you rewrite "Custom font to collection and author titles" and specially "Increase the view details container size".
  • Which is the persistent clock that appears in the status bar and that makes unnecessary "Clock display duration"? Standard from Kobo or the miniclock?

Thanks a lot for all your work.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #130
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance how does one go about snagging the patches that have been updated from github? And is it just grabbing the nickel, Adobe, rmsdk, and libnickle files or would I have to compile anything?
You have multiple options:
- Manually copy them from the files in src/versions/4.16.13337.
- If you use Linux, run ./scripts/build.sh in the repo.
- If you don't, you can use the almost-finished build script written in Go to build the patches (go run ./scripts/build.go 4.16.13337).
- If you don't want to do anything, the patches will probably be out before next Tuesday, either for this version, or the next one when it is released.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #131
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I have a couple of comments about this file:
  • Could you rewrite "Custom font to collection and author titles" and specially "Increase the view details container size".
  • Which is the persistent clock that appears in the status bar and that makes unnecessary "Clock display duration"? Standard from Kobo or the miniclock?

Thanks a lot for all your work.
I'll rewrite those if I have time, but that's next week at the earliest. Also, jackie_w and oren64 have more experience with those parts of the CSS then I do.

The clock now shows in the top-right of the status bar, and doesn't disappear after a certain amount of time. Depending on how you interpret it, persistent may not be the right word.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #132
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I'll rewrite those if I have time, but that's next week at the earliest. Also, jackie_w and oren64 have more experience with those parts of the CSS then I do.
For me, that's to do it in a hurry, no problem with that, and it cannot be done... well... a lot of wasted space in that page, not a matter of live of death...

Quote:
The clock now shows in the top-right of the status bar, and doesn't disappear after a certain amount of time. Depending on how you interpret it, persistent may not be the right word.
Ok, it appears when all the menus appear, thank you. So, I'll stick to miniclock

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 09-15-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #133
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
You have multiple options:
- Manually copy them from the files in src/versions/4.16.13337.
- If you use Linux, run ./scripts/build.sh in the repo.
- If you don't, you can use the almost-finished build script written in Go to build the patches (go run ./scripts/build.go 4.16.13337).
- If you don't want to do anything, the patches will probably be out before next Tuesday, either for this version, or the next one when it is released.
Thank you, I’ll probably hold off unless the features in 4.16 start calling me too strongly, I really do like the new reader UI.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #134
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you, I’ll probably hold off unless the features in 4.16 start calling me too strongly, I really do like the new reader UI.
Yes, that's probably a good idea. 4.16.13337 is still a bit buggy, and most of the good patches aren't updated yet.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #135
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Hmmm. So is the day coming when side-loaded books will have to be kepub to play nicely with Kobos?
Probably not. But I would suggest using kepubs on a Kobo anyway.

Quote:
I have a lot of old epubs. A LOT. Sure don't want to have to convert them all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why not? It's a bulk job in Calibre. It's not like you have to convert them one by one.

Even better, using the extended driver, the books will be converted to kepub automatically when sending them to the device. You won't have the kepubs littering your library.
This exactly. I have 3,350 kepubs on my Kobo and none in my Calibre library. The extended driver just converts the books as it sends them to the device. Easy peasy.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo, kobofirmware, libra