Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Question How can I get my Kobo to correctly fille/sort a surname with spaces?

I have an author whose surname contains spaces. For example, Bob Van Der Wall. The author's first name is Bob. His surname is Van Der Wall. In my Kobo, it would be incorrectly filed under Wall. How can I get my Kobo Forma to understand that Bob Van Der Wall should be filed under
Code:
Van
and not
Code:
Wall
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can't. There's no way to know what's part of the last name and what's not. You could use underscores for the last name and then it would sort as you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks jswolf for the suggestion.

I could try underscores.

Am I correct to think that I can't edit author's name directly on my Kobo, and that I need to do it in Calibre?

Speaking about Calibre, Calibre is smarter... you can tell Calibre how to sort names. In other words, you can tell it what the beginning of the surname is, without having to resort to underscores.

Last edited by droopy; 09-11-2019 at 07:06 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@droopy: Please do some searching in the forum. Just about anything you have asked recently has been discussed with one or more solutions. And this one is basically the same as your question in the calibre forum about names with "St.". And my suggestion there was to use a non-breaking space.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote