Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #31
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I did some testing with the Kindle Previewer and had good results there by replacing the non-breaking space with a figure space (   ). KFX treats that as having a fixed width.
Great discovery! And your investigation leaded me to try another special spaces to see how they worked in KP. According to my tests, all the following spaces work everywhere:

Code:
 	 		Half an EM SPACE.
 	 		Usually a space equal to the type size in points.
 	 	One-third of an EM SPACE, called a thick space.
 	 	One-fourth of an EM SPACE, called a mid space.
 	 		Width of a digit in some fonts.
I used   and looks perfect everywhere (ADE, Sigil, Calibre, KP 3.35). Of course, the user has the choice of employing the space whose width is according to his/her wishes.

So, with your contribution, I can say that the following code:

Code:
  <p>—<span class="ps">&#x2005;</span>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.</p>

<p>Etiam lobortis, massa ac aliquam auctor. —<span class="ps">&#x2005;</span>Nulla ac tellus nunc. Phasellus imperdiet leo metus, et gravida lacus.</p>
with

Code:
p {
  text-align: justify;
}

.ps {
  white-space: pre;
}
works everywhere. Of course, the user can change &#x2005; for any of the others special spaces cited above.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Bullets.epub (2.2 KB, 160 views)
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #32
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Thank you very much Rubén.
(Eres un artista)
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #33
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
Thank you very much Rubén.
(Eres un artista)
Thanks! (very probably a failed artist, but thanks )
Old 11-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Thanks! (very probably a failed artist, but thanks )
No, no, Ruben--no false modesty here. You do lovely work.

Spoiler:
You completely ignore KF7, of course, but, hey, I would too if I could!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #35
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No, no, Ruben--no false modesty here. You do lovely work.

Spoiler:
You completely ignore KF7, of course, but, hey, I would too if I could!

Hitch
Thank you very much Hitch, I appreciate a lot your words. And yes, you are right; KF7 is there so that we can tear the hair from our heads With each solution for .kf8 and .KFX, we have more new code to write for KF7. But it is what it is and we cannot change it. But I have the solution for that issue: Amazon has to propose to all users of K1/K2/KDX to switch their devices for the latest version of Kindle, completely free of charge. And announcing that those who do not accept the proposal, they must accept that Amazon does not provide e-books for their old devices in the future. Of course, Amazon never will do that madness, but it would be a solution.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Thank you very much Hitch, I appreciate a lot your words. And yes, you are right; KF7 is there so that we can tear the hair from our heads With each solution for .kf8 and .KFX, we have more new code to write for KF7. But it is what it is and we cannot change it. But I have the solution for that issue: Amazon has to propose to all users of K1/K2/KDX to switch their devices for the latest version of Kindle, completely free of charge. And announcing that those who do not accept the proposal, they must accept that Amazon does not provide e-books for their old devices in the future. Of course, Amazon never will do that madness, but it would be a solution.
:-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Giving users of these old Kindles a free upgrade to a new Kindle for free is going to piss off everyone who paid to upgrade. It would piss off me.

I agree that Amazon should say that some eBooks may not be available in Mobi going forward and if they want to make sure all Kindle eBooks are available, that they need to upgrade their devices. I don't mind if Amazon gives them $25 for an old 6" Kindle and $50 for a DX in trade for a working device. But a free trade? No way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:52 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Giving users of these old Kindles a free upgrade to a new Kindle for free is going to piss off everyone who paid to upgrade. It would piss off me.

I agree that Amazon should say that some eBooks may not be available in Mobi going forward and if they want to make sure all Kindle eBooks are available, that they need to upgrade their devices. I don't mind if Amazon gives them $25 for an old 6" Kindle and $50 for a DX in trade for a working device. But a free trade? No way.
"If you are going to dream, ... dream big."—Chris Robinson
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #39
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I am a little late at the party, but, as the tests have been made, I congratulate Ruben too for his inventive proposal. The "pre" property should be recognized by any user agent.

As far as I am being concerned, I'll be sticking with the nbsp first solution because this no-break space is quite commonly used for French books.

Users of KFX format may make other choices. Each one its own...

P.S. Mobi, someone said "Mobi"? What's that?

Last edited by roger64; 11-23-2019 at 09:13 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #40
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post

Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:29 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Mobi is why people who produce ebooks for a living have what's left of their hair turning grey.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote