Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #1
Nomadiana
Nomadiana began at the beginning.

Device: nook (old)
New computer, cannot export from old - please help!

Hiya,
I've got about 400 books in Calibre on my old netbook, but cannot seem to export the library in order to get them into my new computer. I followed the export instructions, and was trying to save them to a thumb drive so I could then plug that into my new laptop to import there. Well, I tried on two different thumb drives, but the export timed out and failed on both because "not enough space." There was close to 3 gb available on the second drive - how many do I need for 400 books? I deleted what I could, but I have a feeling I still won't have enough room (one thumb drive is only 1GB, the other is 4GB).

More questions:
Can I choose to export only part of the library a little at a time, and do it that way?

OR can I zip the containing folder down and create a .zip archive to do this?

OR, will I have to buy a new gigantic thumb drive?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Nomadiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:24 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To determine how big the library is - right click library folder, select Properties, make sure you're on the General Tab and watch while it accumulates the size, e.g.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-11-10 191459.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	174831

That is a library of ~3,500 books - at least 2 formats/book.

Probably not much point in compressing, many of the files are probably already compressed - the Export feature compresses anyway.

1 & 4 GB thumb drives are pretty small by today's standards - a 32GB drive shouldn't cost more than a couple of espresso coffees.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-10-2019 at 03:28 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Second BR's 4G drives are tiny in today's thinking.

Can you set up a 'share' on your new machine that the old one can use (modern security has made sharing between different OS, more difficult)?
Then just export to a temp folder on the new machine.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Nomadiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That is a library of ~3,500 books - at least 2 formats/book.

Probably not much point in compressing, many of the files are probably already compressed - the Export feature compresses anyway.
Hmm, yours is a much bigger library than mine and yet mine is 7.25 GB! For 1220 files / 748 folders.

I just remembered I put a 16GB memory card in my phone recently. Maybe I can save my library there and then connect the phone to the new computer?

I know my thumb drives are small, but I can't go out and buy new ones at this time.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Nomadiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadiana View Post
I just remembered I put a 16GB memory card in my phone recently. Maybe I can save my library there and then connect the phone to the new computer?
Phone is set up for transferring files but apparently only for transferring OUT, not IN. Ugh.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
bornmusician
Bibliophile
bornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadiana View Post
Phone is set up for transferring files but apparently only for transferring OUT, not IN. Ugh.
When you connect your phone to your computer, does it show up as a removable drive in your file explorer? If you have a card in it, you may see two drives show up - one for the phone storage & one for the card.

If it does show up, you should be able to just copy/paste the files onto the card, then connect the phone to the new computer & repeat the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	175044  
bornmusician is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
export library, media