Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Square Trade don't even cover kindles now so I would ring them if you want to see of they will cover a Kobo ereader.

https://www.squaretrade.co.uk/en-gb/contact-us

For ease of buying I would suggest Argos. For the security of a warranty I would suggest John Lewis.

If JL is not a click and collect order (i.e not in a warehouse) or can't be bought in stores then ring them before ordering and ask them if its fullfilled by Kobo direct and what happens if anything goes wrong

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-11-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Also kobo make a big thing out of the new direct accees to library so I'd like to try it at least once- which means learning how to add, change. remove adobe IDs on the reader. I assume they use the Adobe system for uk library checkouts
The on-device borrowing uses the Kobo shop and an Overdrive or library account. The Adobe ID is only needed if you want to sideload books with Adobe DRM.

If you want to authorise the device for an Adobe account, you use ADE. Connect to the PC, start ADE and find the options to authorise the device in the menu.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The on-device borrowing uses the Kobo shop and an Overdrive or library account. The Adobe ID is only needed if you want to sideload books with Adobe DRM.
yes, I googled that & then created an overdrive account (which involved using one of the other accounts listed below - or my google account - or both - very confusing
so I now have
  • a library card number and pin
    an adobe ID and a password [ which never gets asked for !]
    an overdrive account - which is my gmail email plus yet another password

is it just me getting older and easily confused are are these systems designed to confuse ???
i understand, I think, how adobe licence files and IDs work; I don't get get how the overdrive account security works or what it brings to the party- except for it being the method I'd need to go direct from library to Aura 1 without going via a PC.

i still don't get the interactions; lets say I checkout 5 books using overdrive ,direct from my local library to to a new Aura HD - can I then checkout those books also to my PC, [ those 5 loans are NOT at that stage linked to my adobe ID ? so how is the library keeping track ] ; has my allowed number of library loans gone down by 5, or is this a separate parallel-world sort of loan ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Back looking at amazon. The aura one has reappeared, but it seems that amazon have dropped all square trade addons for all items?
KOBO has 2 years limited manufacturers warranty. I Tracked down how that operates and it's one of the worst , most one sided warranties I have ever read....
...Hardware defects only. They decide what counts as a defect. You pay to ship to a location of their choosing (could be anywhere in the world ?) You pay again in advance if you want the replacement before the repair. No timescale promises. No shipping refunds....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #20
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Back looking at amazon. The aura one has reappeared, but it seems that amazon have dropped all square trade addons for all items?
KOBO has 2 years limited manufacturers warranty. I Tracked down how that operates and it's one of the worst , most one sided warranties I have ever read....
...Hardware defects only. They decide what counts as a defect. You pay to ship to a location of their choosing (could be anywhere in the world ?) You pay again in advance if you want the replacement before the repair. No timescale promises. No shipping refunds....
No surprise.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #21
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
As I said....abysmal.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #22
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
i still did not get it , but anyway, going back to square trade.[ you an only buy square trade if you are also buying a new device, it seems, then amazon connect the 2 purchases.]
Below is an example of the cover I have for a kindle. So if I was able to buy one like this for a kobo, does it insulate me from having to ever deal with kobo cs, i.e. any issue , even within first months - i.e. I'd be able to go straight to square trade & ask them to sort it ?
dunno if amazon have an exclusive on sure trade, but maybe other retailers have similar add on cover deals

and accidental damage cover hopefully addresses the broken screen/substrate risk however caused ?

Covered Product: Kindle
Coverage Term: 2 Years

Coverage Amount: Up to 3 Replacements
Coverage Start Date: 10/05/2016

Coverage Type: Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH)
Coverage End Date: 10/05/2018
HOW SERVICE WORKS
If during the period of cover your insured item suffers accidental damage or develops a mechanical or electrical breakdown you should contact our Claims Department by using the contact details as set out in Section 1 of this policy document within 30 days of discovering that your insured item is damaged or has developed a fault. We will initially attempt to troubleshoot the problem you are experiencing.
If we are unable to resolve your issue through troubleshooting we will confirm the details of your active policy and the circumstances of the incident. We will endeavour to make a decision on your claim at this time. If we require any additional information we will advise you during the call.
If a replacement is approved by our Claims Department, we may replace your insured item with a new or refurbished item of the same or similar specification. The replacement item may be a future version or edition of your insured item. Technological advances may result in a replacement item being provided which has a lower purchase price than your original insured item but in all cases will be of the same grade and quality of your insured item.
Broken Items: In order to receive a replacement item, you must provide valid credit card details. you will need to send your original item back within 30 days of receiving the replacement device using a pre-paid shipping label we provide. If you do not, the price of the replacement device will be deducted from your credit card.
We do not offer an option for repair of your device.
The replacement provided will have a 90 day manufacturer's warranty which will run from the date you receive the replacement item. Any claims made under the manufacturer's warranty will not affect your maximum coverage under this policy.

i don't think John Lewis as a limit on replacements if you take out the two year cover.

Argos replacement cover only replace once after the first year manufacturers warranty ends.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote