Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
binarymelon
binarymelon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD Replacement

Just wondering what the recent ereaders are like. I've always had Kobos and thinking about switching. I primarily sideload and Kobo kind of limits the functionality on sideloaded epubs (or at least they did). I'm currently on and old version of their firmware that still allows sideloaded kepubs. Just looking for the best feature set on the current ereaders, or would everyone just recommend sticking with what I have?
binarymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
As someone who also has an Aura HD I believe the major difference compared with the newer readers are the carta e-ink screen as well as a higher dpi. The Carta screen is nicer, but not something I notice while not comparing.

I also sideload and don't think I understand what you mean by "limits the functionality". There are some statistics you get of the books you buy from Kobo, but I think that's it.

Are you happy with your current reading experience? Then keep it. If not, or you like to get a new toy, get a new one. I plan to get an Aura ONE the second something happens to my Aura HD (and I'm serioulsy trying to make something happen to it...).
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
binarymelon

It's more the stats and Kobo seems to handle formatting of kepubs better as well.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Well, one option for a side-loader like yourself is to use Calibre to auto-convert epubs to kepubs. That's what I do with my side-loaded books.

I can heartily recommend an Aura H2O as a replacement from the HD. I have a first edition, but from what I've heard the 2nd edition is also quite nice.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymelon View Post
Just wondering what the recent ereaders are like. I've always had Kobos and thinking about switching. I primarily sideload and Kobo kind of limits the functionality on sideloaded epubs (or at least they did). I'm currently on and old version of their firmware that still allows sideloaded kepubs. Just looking for the best feature set on the current ereaders, or would everyone just recommend sticking with what I have?
I'm not sure why you think that the newer firmware versions don't allow sideloaded kepubs. I have an Aura HD and an Aura One--both running the latest firmware. All the books on both of my Kobos are sideloaded kepubs through Calibre. I use the kepub extended drivers to transfer books to both of my Kobos and the books are automatically transferred in kepub format and I can see all the book statistics that are available for kepubs.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
binarymelon

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=226940

I'm pretty sure it at least used to be the case. Is it no longer true?
Old 11-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo still allows side loading of ePub & kepub. I would suggest installing the new firmware version 4.6.9995. It's pretty snappy. As for limiting functionality, Kobo actually has more functionality than Kindles. If you patch, you get even more functionality.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymelon View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=226940

I'm pretty sure it at least used to be the case. Is it no longer true?
So you are running firmware 2.6 or something like that? That hasn't been true for a long time. The stats were reenabled for sideloaded epubs in one of the early 3.x firmware versions. I don't remember exactly when, but it is long enough ago now that I had completely forgotten it had ever been disabled.

And, to correct your statements in the first post, Kobo never stopped allowing sideloaded kepubs. And they have never limited the function of sideloaded epubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
binarymelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So you are running firmware 2.6 or something like that? That hasn't been true for a long time. The stats were reenabled for sideloaded epubs in one of the early 3.x firmware versions. I don't remember exactly when, but it is long enough ago now that I had completely forgotten it had ever been disabled.

And, to correct your statements in the first post, Kobo never stopped allowing sideloaded kepubs. And they have never limited the function of sideloaded epubs.
Yeah, I was still on 2.6. I must have misunderstood the issues. I thought it was more than just the loss of stats, but also some formatting problems which basically made sideloaded kepubs useless. Thanks for the update. I'll give the newest firmware a try.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Just FYI, I had a very nice HD, which I wanted to keep. But the day I got my H2O (last April) I realized I would NEVER use the HD again. The H2O was just SO much better looking. (Sold the HD right away).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote