Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
CEW4
CEW4 began at the beginning.

Device: Oyo, Kindle
PDF usability

Hi everyone,

long time no read... ;-)

Well, so I recently got myself a Kindle 3 as my second ebook reader (actually, I got two of them - I got a nice offer on the second, and since I couldn't really make up my mind for either the the WLAN-only or the 3G version anyway... <g>)

My first impression: Nice. Not a revolution compared to my old reader, but rather nice indeed.

Second impression: Wait a moment - what about PDF? My previous reader had "reflow" handling which worked quite well in most cases. When I copied a PDF onto the Kindle I ended up with a 1:1 view of each page - wonderful, a A4-page on an 6" screen. What good is this supposed to do?

Once again, Calibre saved the day. It was able to convert the PDF to MOBI, whereafter the document displayed decently on the Kindle. But is that really the best the Kindle can do? My year-old previous reader that nobody fails to knock if you even hint at the name (that's right, the Thalia Oyo :-) ) could even do better, and by a landslide!

Am I missing something here?
CEW4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
From my experience in trying to put PDF's on the Kindle, it's hit or miss. Granted, I tend to put them on the Nook Color if I need to. But, I like having some of my RPG books on the Kindle since it's convenient. I've had less-than-stellar luck with converting them to mobi, though.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
CEW4
CEW4 began at the beginning.

Device: Oyo, Kindle
Well, I now blocked the PDF-format in Calibre for the Kindle and transfer everything as MOBI. This works quite well, at least it's good enough for my usage. :-)
CEW4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Before I gave up on the concept of PDF-on-6" screen, I would eke out a little more usability by cropping the headers/footers. When that wasn't enough, viewing in landscape worked pretty well. Of course you can author PDFs that are perfectly usable on Kindle by setting the page size appropriately, but that's rarely what you are dealing with in 3rd party content.

Another problem is that Kindle does not let you navigate PDF bookmarks (typically marking the beginning of chapters, etc.), or PDF links to footnotes or illustrations.

For full page PDF viewing, my conclusion is you really need at least 1024x768 resolution. Kindle DX is adequate, but again does not have navigation features that you'd expect. Performance is lacking also.

Sony Reader has always had the best small-screen PDF support. But again, there's no substitute for resolution.

PDF reflow should be seen as a last resort. In practice, for the type of PDFs I want to view, it has never really worked well enough. Kindle's landscape viewing mode is usually better than reflowed PDF content.

By contrast, my Xoom tablet (1280x800) is GREAT for PDF viewing. Ironically, the reflowable formats tend not to be as pleasant, in part because many of the reading apps are not yet optimized for large screens (e.g. no margin adjustment or 2-column-landscape option), and images prepared for small screens are too small and most apps don't let you zoom them. When I have a choice between ePub and PDF, I usually pick PDF.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEW4 View Post
Well, I now blocked the PDF-format in Calibre for the Kindle and transfer everything as MOBI. This works quite well, at least it's good enough for my usage. :-)
Any tips on Calibre settings for a good conversion? Thanks!
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have two Kindles, a wifi and a 3G, I read a lot of text PDFs and converted them in Calibre to mobi format, BUT, the conversion is really hit and miss, and this week I bought a Sony PRS650 just so I don't have to convert them any more. I love my Kindle, I really do, but not providing PDF reflow is a big issue for me, so until they do i'll just need two ereaders.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle doesn't do reflow? Gah! It is bad enough that reflow has to be enabled by the person who creates the PDF, but not even taking advantage of that seems dumb.

In any case, I'm not sure if anything but an 8" (vertical) screen will help with my biggest problem, which is two-column journal articles with images (forget the images, double columns without reflo has to be viewed in landscape mode with a magnifying glass).
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
llreader
Mesmerist

BTW, does the Kindle even do landscape mode?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
BTW, does the Kindle even do landscape mode?
yes. You can rotate the Kindle display by 90 degrees in each direction (even upside down and "vertical"!
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
llreader
Mesmerist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
yes. You can rotate the Kindle display by 90 degrees in each direction (even upside down and "vertical"!
Excellent! Someone in another forum just pointed me to this:

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Looks promising for the dual-column stuff.