Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #1171
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
I have added a link to this post on my contrib page under the Wine section.
Good idea.

As far as I can tell, the idea works. I am able to select a pdf file in Calibre and run it by using open with plugin. The file is saved in the same folder as the original pdf.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #1172
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi

How do I avoid page numbers, reperating chapter names (at the top or at the bottom) mingling with reflow? it makes it confusing to read when they mixup with the actual page reflow.

thanks
Advert
Old 10-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #1173
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by loviedovie View Post
Hi

How do I avoid page numbers, reperating chapter names (at the top or at the bottom) mingling with reflow? it makes it confusing to read when they mixup with the actual page reflow.

thanks
If using the MS Windows GUI, use the crop regions--select a crop region and only include the main body of the page in the crop region. If command-line, you can use the -m option (margins), e.g.

Code:
k2pdfopt -m 0.5,1.0,0.75,0.6 ...
... will crop out the left 0.5 inches, the top 1 inch, the right 0.75 inches, and the bottom 0.6 inches from the processed area of the PDF. The -cbox option is similar.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #1174
loviedovie
Addict

willus thanks for the reply.

I actually tried that but the issue was a usability thing for me, because I am not sure if I was getting the dimensions right.

The other issue is that sometimes the placement of those can be minus plus with scanned pdfs, especially if the pdfs are scanned with a camera device so putting hard coded numbers will most likely cut off usable parts as well.

The last issue related to it is that I personally like to have them as part of the page just in proper place, not part of the last line.

I am not sure if there is a way to achieve this maybe K2Pdf needs some kind of pattern recognition and training mode

In anycase I like this software as a desktop tool and as it being part of the Koreader.

thanks
Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #1175
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
willus thanks for the reply.

I actually tried that but the issue was a usability thing for me, because I am not sure if I was getting the dimensions right.

The other issue is that sometimes the placement of those can be minus plus with scanned pdfs, especially if the pdfs are scanned with a camera device so putting hard coded numbers will most likely cut off usable parts as well.
There is an app called ScanTailor that helps you clean up scanned PDFs. Or you could do a first pass where you simply have k2pdfopt crop and autostraighten your doc:

Code:
k2pdfopt -ac -as -mode trim -n source.pdf -o source_cropped.pdf
...and then use the technique I described in the previous post.

Quote:
The last issue related to it is that I personally like to have them as part of the page just in proper place, not part of the last line.

I am not sure if there is a way to achieve this maybe K2Pdf needs some kind of pattern recognition and training mode
Don't expect a feature like this from me anytime soon. The heuristics involved with auto-detecting a page number / header / footer are likely fraught with false positives and false negatives. The goal of k2pdfopt is to make your document comfortably readable and intelligible on an e-reader within reason, but not necessarily to achieve perfection.

Quote:
In anycase I like this software as a desktop tool and as it being part of the Koreader.
Thank you.
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #1176
loviedovie
Addict

@willus

Thanks for all the info. I will checkout scantailor.

Do you have plans for multitheading? Especially for the preview window, sometimes it is a bit slow.

thanks
Old 10-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #1177
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Do you have plans for multitheading? Especially for the preview window, sometimes it is a bit slow.
I do have plans for multithreading, but not for the preview window at the moment, though I suppose it may get impacted. I haven't entirely thought it through. The multithreading plan is to break the source file into N sections, process each section in parallel, and then join the output together with a separate tool like jpdftweak or pdfsam (MuPDF doesn't have an API for joining PDF files yet). Or, if multiple docs are selected for conversion, to simply convert each of them in parallel (even easier). The issue with the preview window, if you preview a high page number, is that the entire conversion has to be done up to that preview page number each time. There's not really an easy way to get around that. To multithread that, I'd have to parallelize at a micro-level, which isn't as trivial, rather than the macro-level I described above.

You can always put a limited source page range into the GUI's "Pages to Convert" box to preview how a specific source page (or set of pages) will convert.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #1178
loviedovie
Addict

@willus

thanks for the heads up. I wish that you continue developing this tool. It is a tremendous help in Koreader.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:40 AM   #1179
ephestione
ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
The multithreading plan is to break the source file into N sections, process each section in parallel, and then join the output together with a separate tool like jpdftweak or pdfsam
A further suggestion regarding that: you may want to leave the "join together" part as an optional checkbox function, as I found that the joined version of the manually multithreaded conversion I did performed really bad on my paperwhite 3, as it was painfully slow to manage, both with turning pages and selecting text (but then again the pdf I'm talking about is 1000+ pages originally, go figure how big it became after conversion).
Now that on my kindle I put the 8 smaller pdf's, I can turn pages instantaneously and highlight text pretty much as fast as I can do that for proper ebooks, so leaving out separate pdf's for bigger documents is the way to go.
ephestione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #1180
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephestione View Post
A further suggestion regarding that: you may want to leave the "join together" part as an optional checkbox function, as I found that the joined version of the manually multithreaded conversion I did performed really bad on my paperwhite 3, as it was painfully slow to manage, both with turning pages and selecting text (but then again the pdf I'm talking about is 1000+ pages originally, go figure how big it became after conversion).
Now that on my kindle I put the 8 smaller pdf's, I can turn pages instantaneously and highlight text pretty much as fast as I can do that for proper ebooks, so leaving out separate pdf's for bigger documents is the way to go.
Interesting. Do you know if it is the joining technique or just the sheer size of the PDF that reduces performance? You used pdfsam to join the files? Could you try jpdftweak also? Or could you try an overnight conversion that does it all in one piece (though as I recall this segfaulted k2pfdopt--so maybe just half of it?) to see how that compares? What would be best would be an A-B comparison between something produced only with k2pdfopt vs. something put together with various joining tools.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #1181
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinjar View Post
Hey Willus, thank you so very much for your k2pdfopt. Reading pdf's on my ereader is so much better now.

So: when using k2pdfopt with wrapping, I wish there were a way to directly control the size of text (like setting a median text height, which will scale everything proportionately). -odpi controls text size indirectly but text size can get inconsistent across files of course. Whereas i'm most interested in batch-converting and getting the text to a consistent not-too-large, not-too-small size on the ereader.

(or is this already possible?)
I second that. Batch conversion is not working for me as I have to test each file by converting one page while fiddling with the odpi setting untill it produces acceptable result. A feature like this would make batch conversion much easier.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #1182
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
I second that. Batch conversion is not working for me as I have to test each file by converting one page while fiddling with the odpi setting untill it produces acceptable result. A feature like this would make batch conversion much easier.
While I do plan to add this feature eventually, I am a bit puzzled. I would think that most PDF documents would use a relatively standard font size, somewhere between 10 and 12 points, so that if you use a consistent odpi, you would get a consistent output font size. What is the font size range in your source PDFs? Can you (or kleinjar) post an example of two extremes (source PDFs)?
Old 10-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #1183
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My books are in Arabic. I don't know if they will be of any benefit to you. I attached them to this post anyway. The first attachment is for a pdf with standard font size which is converted fine without the need to play with the odpi setting. The second attachment is for a smaller font which needs an odpi setting of 250 to be readable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf standard.pdf (66.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: pdf small.pdf (23.9 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-11-2015 at 01:32 PM.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #1184
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Weirdzzz
On my DXG, small.pdf opens perfectly fine with built-in PDF viewer. Weirdly enough, standard.pdf gives an error saying it has embedded features not yet supported by Kindle!

Both open nicely in KOreader and KindlePDFViewer.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #1185
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
...The first attachment is for a pdf with standard font size which is converted fine without the need to play with the odpi setting. The second attachment is for a smaller font which needs an odpi setting of 250 to be readable.
Okay, thanks. The font sizes are approximately 9-point and 18-point in your two examples.

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools