Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
I must say, there are much more ways to cut a carpet to 4 pieces than I suspected!

something based on 2 "L" shapes ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What's the smallest number of pieces I must cut the 10x10 metre carpet into, to make it fit the 12x9 space, with the 8x1 hole in the middle? Hint: It's less than four.
Answer:

Spoiler:
Only one cut giving two pieces of carpet is required.

The way to do it is to cut on a zig-zag diagonal, so that one piece can be moved two across and one down, giving the 12x9 outer dimensions from the 10x10 original carpet. Of course, this zig-zag from the bottom left won't meet up with a similar zig-zag from the top right. But by cutting along the horizontal line in the middle that they both reach, interesting shapes are created that give the required 1x8 hole in the middle of the finished carpet. when moved as described.

I attach a zipped gif. Download and decompress to see a picture of the solution.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Carpet Solution.gif.zip (4.8 KB, 349 views)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #18
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Sigh.

I kept looking at the durn thing, almost daily. Your posting has saved me another try 'cause when I saw it - I persuaded myself I was never going to get it.

So I looked at your answer.

Oi!

I really wouldn't have gotten that solution ... not in a bazillion years!

So, now I'm glad I gave up and looked. Now, I can throw away the graph paper (& put away the scissors, pencil and eraser!).

Thanks for the puzzle, pdurrant. Eventually, I will get one without having to peek ... !!!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
I really wouldn't have gotten that solution ... not in a bazillion years!
Same here. That one was as tough as those "a bunch of really smart guys must infer the solution to some really complex puzzle with a tiny amount of information or they die" puzzles. I had no chance.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Same here. That one was as tough as those "a bunch of really smart guys must infer the solution to some really complex puzzle with a tiny amount of information or they die" puzzles. I had no chance.
I apologise a little for this one. I hadn't realised how much harder is was to find the smallest number of pieces possible than to find a solution for a known number of pieces.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert