Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Review: The Nook Ebook Reader

http://www.raiden.net/articles/revie..._ebook_reader/

I've recently posted my review of the B&N Nook ebook reader. Read and enjoy.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
As a nook user for 3+ months, I think you made a very fair assessment of its features and faults.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
CatsMeow
CatsMeow began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & K3
I'm a bit mystified with your Nook criticisms. But maybe since I updated my Nook with the latest firmware release, perhaps those issues were resolved with the update. I don't turn the Nook off completely but leave it in sleep mode, so it's just a few seconds from the power on button to being available for reading. Over the past few days, I've been reading for an hour or two a day and I've left both the Wireless and 3G enabled plus I leave it in sleep mode -- my battery is still about 3/4ths charged. As for disbalance during page-turning, I use the finger-swipe for page turning so one hand is up near the top and the other near the bottom, which gives a nice balanced feel to the Nook. I found the updating of the firmware to be a very simple process -- I just followed the directions step-by-step. I also haven't encountered the issue with using a SD card because I can't imagine putting that many books on my Nook. I just put everything directly into the available Nook storage.

Perhaps since I'm using the latest release, I haven't encountered the same issues you have. From the physical standpoint, I couldn't be happier with my Nook. My two complaints are that I read so fast that there's not enough content on the screen at one time for me and also that Amazon has a larger nonfiction list available for the Kindle.
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
If you really had that many lock-ups there is something wrong with your Nook. You should phone customer service and exchange it for a new one. Your battery usage was also much to high when just letting the Nook sleep. It seems you received a lemon.
I have had my Nook since December last year and have only had one lock-up in all that time. I can usually read 3 to 4 days before having to charge my Nook.

Updating the firmware is very easy.
Just put the firmware file in the root of the Nook and eject it. The firmware install will then start. You probably changed the original filename of the firmware or put it in the wrong location.
If you have a Wifi connection just look for new B&N content, and the new firmware will install.

You do not need to go the B&N for Wifi. You can use your home Wifi network to connect the Nook. Because of the Nook browser you can now also use most public Wifi hot spots.
So you can buy books from B&N and download them everywhere where you have a Wifi connection, without needing a PC.

As for the long boot time. Your not supposed to turn the Nook off and on every time. Just let it go to sleep.

Like CastMeow already said you can also swipe the tochscreen to turn pages. I like that much better than using the buttons.

Last edited by geertm; 06-09-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Adding info about page swipe
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
How does someone post a review of the Nook in June but does not use the current firmware upgrade that came out in april?

I've bought mine, post V1.3, no lock ups, no freezing. Boot up does take about 1m to boot. Though I think I might do a totall power down maybe 1 or twice a week, so I'm really not seeing why this is an issue when you can leave it in Sleep mode and it takes you straight to your page in less than 5 seconds.
And besides how long does most computers take to boot up?

What bugs me about reviewers like this is they are they Apple Ipad buyers anyway and if it's not that then the tech. stinks.

but again he even wrote in his review that they was supposed to be an update that fixes this.

Why in Sam Hill would you not install the upgrade and THEN do the review.

I can see if he did his review back in Feb. but this is over a month since the upgrade.

Aye Charumba.

Well Cnet gave it 4 out 5 stars and an "Excellent" rating.

Last edited by boswd; 06-09-2010 at 12:43 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
Perhaps since I'm using the latest release, I haven't encountered the same issues you have. From the physical standpoint, I couldn't be happier with my Nook. My two complaints are that I read so fast that there's not enough content on the screen at one time for me and also that Amazon has a larger nonfiction list available for the Kindle.
Well, as was suggested to me after the EZreader review I did, I tried to update the firmware, oddly, with no luck. Now I'm very technically inclined with electronic things (heck, I ran a Linux tech site for 3 years!), but that was just ridiculous trying to do a simple update. So I just gave up and reviewed it as it stood. Especially since the Nook was on loan from a friend and I didn't want to risk bricking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If you really had that many lock-ups there is something wrong with your Nook. You should phone customer service and exchange it for a new one. Your battery usage was also much to high when just letting the Nook sleep. It seems you received a lemon.
That's entirely possible that I did get a lemon. But again, it was not mine, as I had borrowed it from a friend in order to review it, since B&N wouldn't even give me the time of day, let alone talk to me about a review. (Raiden's Realm apparently isn't a big enough tech site for them, despite being a top 10 Linux site) But anywho, that's water under the bridge. And I know the device is new, because he just bought it, so the issues can't be from wear and tear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
What bugs me about reviewers like this is they are they Apple Ipad buyers anyway and if it's not that then the tech. stinks.
Actually, I despise Apple. So no Cult of Mac here. ^_^
Quote:
but again he even wrote in his review that they was supposed to be an update that fixes this.
I also wrote in the review that I *couldn't* update it. The device wouldn't let me without possibly bricking it. If I didn't make that clear, I apologize.
Quote:
Well Cnet gave it 4 out 5 stars and an "Excellent" rating.
Yes, and Cnet is a bought and paid for reviewer. The more money you have to pay for ads, the better your review will be. I never trust Cnet ads anymore. They're just like Toms Hardware. The best review to the highest bidder.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote