Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-13-2024, 06:34 AM   #1
Andy86
Andy86 began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
Pdf to epub

Hi,
Just got into this ebook reading scene and have purchased my first device: Pocketbook VersePro.
My aim to read pdf s mostly scientific articles with images.
What is the best way to convert the pdf to epub? So far i have tested some online converter, but results are not the best.
Thank you
regards
Andy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:17 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is no good way to convert PDFs, as it's an endpoint to publish on paper.
Sometimes you can copy/paste to a Wordprocessor and fix it. Other times you need OCR and proof editing.

Mostly it's a waste of time trying to automatically create PDFs. Especially with online tools, which may really exist to capture documents.

See discussions on K2pdfopt, pdf section and calibre sections here.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2024, 11:10 AM   #3
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
If you use Caliber to manage your library of electronic books, you can try converting PDF to ePUB in it. In my case, since it is usually only about books, the translation is correct.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:58 AM   #4
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Did you try reading the PDFs with the built-in reader on your Pocketbook? It has reflow mode and it's not so bad.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:12 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalinovsky View Post
Did you try reading the PDFs with the built-in reader on your Pocketbook? It has reflow mode and it's not so bad.
Few PDFs can be reflowed. By design.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2024, 12:53 PM   #6
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Few PDFs can be reflowed. By design.
That's not quite accurate. Pocketbook can reflow all (or most?) PDFs, but sometimes the result isn't the best.

Anyway, it's better to try and see. In my tests, it had problems with formulas and tables in reflow mode, so I ended putting my 8" Pocketbook in the landscape mode and reading the PDF zoomed in by its cropped width.
Old 03-13-2024, 03:02 PM   #7
Andy86
Andy86 began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
Thank you so much for all these valueable information. I have much better understanding of this now. I have already tested the "calibre" solution and it works pretty well.
Once again thank you all for the help!
Andy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 03:19 PM   #8
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast

In all honesty, the best solution would be to get a 10" Pocketbook for scientific PDFs.

P.S. Though I found out there's no good 10" Pocketbooks available. One option has 150 ppi, and another is using ancient Android version...

Last edited by dmalinovsky; 03-13-2024 at 05:31 PM.