Notices

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer>
Xtraflex2 10 43.48%
Travelflex 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Mighty Bright Xtraflex2 or Travelflex?

I'm expecting my Sony PRS 300 soon. I bought a Mighty Bright Travelflex for it (which I'm also expecting to arrive together with the Reader).

I've been reading so many raves about the Xtraflex2 though that I'm wondering if it really is that much better than the Travelflex? Is it really worth the extra bulk of the two additional AAA batteries?

I will probably be using the Mighty Bright to read paper books aside from the PRS 300. Would the Travelflex provide sufficient light or do I need to add the Xtraflex2 to my to-buy list?

If you only had to buy one, which would you prefer, the Xtraflex2 or the Travelflex?

Thank you
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I have a travelflex. I've found that if I put it in the spine of the cover, it has a tendency to "wobble" from side to side because it's so narrow.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Ea. From what I've seen in pictures, the Travelflex's clip seems to be too small to clip on the Reader itself. It might work ok on the leather cover though.

I'm thinking of getting the Xtraflex2 as well so I can just alternate using the two.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It would be too small to clip in the reader, but it might work on the cover. You can always get the other one if it doesn't work out
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
xtine
Addict

Thanks, Ea. I've decided to get the Xtraflex2 so I'll have 2 book lights for my reader when it finally comes
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #6
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I'm expecting my Sony PRS 300 soon. I bought a Mighty Bright Travelflex for it (which I'm also expecting to arrive together with the Reader).

I've been reading so many raves about the Xtraflex2 though that I'm wondering if it really is that much better than the Travelflex? Is it really worth the extra bulk of the two additional AAA batteries?

I will probably be using the Mighty Bright to read paper books aside from the PRS 300. Would the Travelflex provide sufficient light or do I need to add the Xtraflex2 to my to-buy list?

If you only had to buy one, which would you prefer, the Xtraflex2 or the Travelflex?

Thank you
Xtine I have the Mighty Bright Flex2, the TravelFlex and the PocketFlex. They are all fantastic reading lights and all things considered, I think they're the best reading I've ever had.

I usually keep my large Flex2 clipped to my StairMaster and use it almost exclusively when I'm reading while working out. I've also used it as a keyboard light before I replaced the lamps in my desk hutch. That's a fantastic light, but I've found I seldom need both lights so a 1 light lamp such as the TravelFlex is a better option for my reader or for a book.

If you read in landscape mode, which I always do on my 700 & 600, and have it clipped to the book cover it makes holding the book even more comfortable because it's shaped like another finger and you can rest it on your index finger as your holding the reader.

I have pix of the TravelFlex clipped on to my 600 here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=57267&page=2
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
xtine
Addict

Thanks for the pics, SolRaven I feel much better about buying the Travelflex now, at least I know it's still usable. I have no regrets about buying the Xtraflex2 today though.

I don't even have my reader yet but I've already bought 2 cases for it -- the Sony cover and the Case Logic zippered case. I am also thinking of ordering the M-Edge Executive Jacket in Mocha which I think looks just gorgeous. I wish they still had the pen holder installed so we could clip our Travelflex light onto it.

At the supermarket today, I was so tempted to pick up an Energizer booklight too (the one that runs on lithium batteries) but thought better of it.

Buying reader accessories is so addictive!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
xtine
Addict

Update: Just got my Reader and Travelflex today. The Travelflex was able to light up the entire screen of the reader just fine but when I tried on a paper book, it didn't seem to have enough reach to cover both pages at once. I'm pretty happy with the Travelflex though, it seems light enough to carry around all the time
Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
At the supermarket today, I was so tempted to pick up an Energizer booklight too (the one that runs on lithium batteries) but thought better of it.

Buying reader accessories is so addictive!
You're like a brand new mother buying stuff for the new baby and nursery.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:19 AM   #10
xtine
Addict

@SolRaven I always go a bit overboard whenever I have a new gadget
Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
xtine
Addict

Update: I just got my Xtraflex2 today.

I ordered the black Xtraflex2 and the silver Travelflex earlier, which I have been using for about 3 weeks or so. Looks-wise, I prefer the black to the silver because the silver seems cheap & plastic-ky to me, but the black looks very nice and seems to be made of a more durable/less brittle type of plastic.

I don't know if it's just my Xtraflex2 but the gooseneck seems more flexible and has more "give" than the Travelflex. This isn't necessarily a good thing. I feel like the Travelflex's neck is sturdier and will hold up better in the long run.

What I like about the Xtraflex2 though is that its clip seems to be grippier although my Sony Cover for the 300 was sagging from the weight of the heavier light.

I also like the fact that the Xtraflex2 can stand on its base (which I imagine might be helpful for nighttime reading when I don't want the light clipped onto my Reader or its cover).

I tested both the Travelflex and Xtraflex2 with fresh batteries and I was surprised to see that the Travelflex actually emitted a brighter light (on just one battery!) than the Xtraflex2 on one LED. With both LEDs on, the Xtraflex2 was of course brighter, but it wasn't twice as bright as the Travelflex as I would have thought it would be.

My vote then goes to the Travelflex and I'll probably be placing an order for a black one soon as my current one has gotten a bit banged up from an encounter with my dog (see avatar) last night

Last edited by xtine; 12-01-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Got a deal on them!

Just an FYI. I was at JoAnn Fabrics, actually one of the really large stores, and they had the Xtraflex (not the 2), the Travelflex and the Pocketflex. I decided to buy one of each. JoAnn's regular price is 12.99 but they rang up for 5.97 each. It seems they are on clearance and I imagine most stores have sold out. The one I was at had about 6 of each, but there was no indication they were clearanced until I got to the register.
Soooo, in case you happen to go to a JoAnn's, you might get lucky too!
(I am very impressed with all the lights, by the way, but I think I prefer the Travelflex!)
retro is offline   Reply With Quote