Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Hantra
Enthusiast
Hantra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Has anyone tried converting PDF to Word, and then to Kindle?

I noticed Word docs seem to do better with images when they're converted to Kindle. I was wondering if a PDF was converted to Word, and then to Kindle, if it'd be any better than just a PDF to Kindle conversion.

I don't really have a tool to do it, and was wondering if anyone had tried.
Hantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
If your PDF converting software has the option, you might do better to convert the PDF to JPEGs, then paste the resulting pictures into a Word file, then send the Word file to Kindle. That's one of the things I do as part of my job (word processing).
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
If your PDF converting software has the option, you might do better to convert the PDF to JPEGs, then paste the resulting pictures into a Word file, then send the Word file to Kindle. That's one of the things I do as part of my job (word processing).
So, what do you get back?

Do they OCR it for you, so you can search, etc.? Is the quality of the Amazon converted file any good (better than what you can do with something like Mobipocket Creator?)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
something tells me this wouldn't work that great. Basically, the more conversions you do, the more data and formatting you end up losing
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
So, what do you get back?

Do they OCR it for you, so you can search, etc.? Is the quality of the Amazon converted file any good (better than what you can do with something like Mobipocket Creator?)
No, it's primarily useful if you just want to be able to read the document, which is what I do with 99.99% of the ones I set up this way.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I really can't imagine the conversion being especially good, but I would love to hear otherwise. This reminds me of converting an English document to German, and then to French, and then back to English.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantra View Post
I noticed Word docs seem to do better with images when they're converted to Kindle. I was wondering if a PDF was converted to Word, and then to Kindle, if it'd be any better than just a PDF to Kindle conversion.
I've tried it. The PDF to Word conversion generally leaves the formatting in quite a mess, so where it goes from there just depends on how much time you are willing to invest in working with the file in Word to correct errors and fix up the formatting. If you're willing to spend the time, you can end up with a reference-quality file. If not, you end up with something that's quite a mess and very frustrating to try and read.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I generally convert to .RTF rather than Word because Calibre doesn't handle Word files (or at least it doesn't handle the Word files I've tried). I use Nuance PDF Converter, it OCRs and converts to various formats. It's not a perfect conversion but it's the best I've found for PDFs at a not too bad price.

The problem with the free converters I've tried is that the footers, headers, and page numbers are included in the conversion and then you have to go back and edit out all of that. I haven't compared the OCR in the free converters to the Nuance product but the Nuance program seems much better to me.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Hantra
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I've tried it. The PDF to Word conversion generally leaves the formatting in quite a mess, so where it goes from there just depends on how much time you are willing to invest in working with the file in Word to correct errors and fix up the formatting.

Ditto. I tried it today and the formatting from PDF to Word is all lost.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try PDF to RTF then to MOBI or AZW. So far it's the best conversion route I've found.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
Bjorn
Bjorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Try PDF to RTF then to MOBI or AZW. So far it's the best conversion route I've found.
What SW are you using for PDF to RTF?
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I'm using Nuance PDF Converter Professional. It's not very cheap but I use it a lot and feel that it's a good value. For PDFs that are large scans OmniPage 16 (came with my scanner) OCRs decently.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
Hantra
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm using Nuance PDF Converter Professional. It's not very cheap but I use it a lot and feel that it's a good value.
I'll have to try that. I used Acrobat Pro just b/c I have it at the office. I can see why Adobe would want to provide crappy conversion to Word. Makes sense the other converter would do it better. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I don't have access to Acrobat Pro and don't want to pay $$$ for it. The Nuance product does all I need at a fraction of the price fro Acrobat Pro.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #15
meibao
meibao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I usually convert pdf to html cos the formatting stays relatively intact and I just have do to minimal adjustments and then convert to prc/mobi to upload to the kindle
meibao is offline   Reply With Quote