Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Charles Patrick
Enthusiast
Charles Patrick doesn't litterCharles Patrick doesn't litterCharles Patrick doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
FREE Download Current Newspapers & Magazines

If you're a news junkie, like I am, you'll like this program that allows you to compile a digest of current newspapers and magazines that you can download to your Kindle, Irex, Sony Reader or Laptop for offline reading

The Basic version is free, with no pop-ups and no obligation to register.

You can check it out here:
Http://www.News2PDF.com

Disclosure: I am affiliated as a consultant on this program

Last edited by Charles Patrick; 12-17-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Charles Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Heh. My work websense thinks that's got Potentially Damaging Content on it, and says I can't go there.

Does it work as a kind of RSS feed that lets you print to PDF? What format are the PDFs--letter-size pages single column, or do they try to mirror the original?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Charles Patrick
Enthusiast
Charles Patrick doesn't litterCharles Patrick doesn't litterCharles Patrick doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Heh. My work websense thinks that's got Potentially Damaging Content on it, and says I can't go there.

Does it work as a kind of RSS feed that lets you print to PDF? What format are the PDFs--letter-size pages single column, or do they try to mirror the original?
You choose your reader type for the program to use the correct PDF width and height. You choose the font size. It uses RSS feeds, but returns the FULL TEXT of the articles, instead of the abbreviated RSS versions.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is the Kindle listed since it cannot view PDF and conversions are usually poor?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please note:

It's free, but it's a FREE DEMO.

Don

ADDED: The company has now removed the demo of this program.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
They're not going to be in business very long
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
Charles Patrick
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is the Kindle listed since it cannot view PDF and conversions are usually poor?
The key word is "usually." Because these files are mostly text, the conversions to Kindle are better than average.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
Charles Patrick
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Please note:

It's free, but it's a FREE DEMO.

Don
Hi Don,

What's the difference between the demo version and the non-demo version?

Last edited by Charles Patrick; 12-16-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, I have been able to read all of the pdf manuals I have downloaded so far. Mostly text, with a few diagrams (of computer screens) could be the reason, but even the diagram pages have been fine.

It could just be the material I'm currently reading, but so far, I have my manuals easily available to me anytime I need them. The two I have on my Kindle right now are "Cognos 8 Query Studio Users Guide" and "Cognos 8, Discovering Impromptu" I will say that the cover page is a bit mixed up on each, but since once opened I have no need to see them again, it hasn't been an issue.
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Patrick View Post
Hi Don,

What's the difference between the demo version and the non-demo version?
Hi, Charles:

I went back to their website and could not locate specifically what their Demo lacks. Usually, however, a Demo is usually crippled in some form or other, as listed below:

1) Timed to quit
2) certain features disabled
3) limit on the number of...[fill in the blank: newspapers/magazines] it will process
4) Broad watermarks across the page(s)

Any or all of the above (and some I can't think of at the moment) may be in place in a Demo.

My main concern was that the members of MobileRead understood that this is not a free program, but a free demo.

Don

ADDED: Charles now admits to being a consultant for this company that produces this product.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
Charles Patrick
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hi, Charles:

I went back to their website and could not locate specifically what their Demo lacks. Usually, however, a Demo is usually crippled in some form or other, as listed below:

1) Timed to quit
2) certain features disabled
3) limit on the number of...[fill in the blank: newspapers/magazines] it will process
4) Broad watermarks across the page(s)

Any or all of the above (and some I can't think of at the moment) may be in place in a Demo.

My main concern was that the members of MobileRead understood that this is not a free program, but a free demo.

Don
Hmm. "Usually"

News2PDF is NOT timed to quit.

News2PDF does NOT have broad watermarks

Some features may be disabled, but if you don't miss them, then I don't see an issue.

If you're not sure if there's a limit on the "number of," then I'm not sure if there's a limit on the "number of." However, if a program, "demo" or "non-demo" satisfies my requirements I'm eager to use it, no matter what it's called.

Throughout my life I've used a variety of free, not-free, premium, commercial, non-commercial programs based on whether or not they've suited my needs. Haven't you?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #12
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Of course, you can do something similar without needing software on your PC using Feedbooks http://www.feedbooks.com/news/
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
Charles Patrick
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Of course, you can do something similar without needing software on your PC using Feedbooks http://www.feedbooks.com/news/
Similar, but huge difference.

Feedbooks supplies only the *partial text* of the RSS feed. In most cases, Feedbook provides only the first few hundred words of each article.

However, http://www.News2PDF.com provides the complete *full text* of each article including images and illustrations.

News2PDF allows you to create *full-text* files for your reader, smart phone or notebook that you can take on the bus, train or plane - with no Internet connection needed after you've captured the full articles.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
hackettt
Enthusiast
hackettt is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505
Mac and Parallels

Though the web site states it can run on a Mac under Parallels, I was unable to get it do anything. The app installed, but left me with a blank screen and no options. It kept giving me a 404-error saying it could not find email.

As for feedbooks, many of those options are just the shortened-RSS articles. I would love an quick way to process newspaper web sites to PDFs for my 505. I want entire articles, however.

Unfortunately, this program is not the answer I need.
hackettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Patrick View Post
Hmm. "Usually"

News2PDF is NOT timed to quit.

News2PDF does NOT have broad watermarks

Some features may be disabled, but if you don't miss them, then I don't see an issue.

If you're not sure if there's a limit on the "number of," then I'm not sure if there's a limit on the "number of." However, if a program, "demo" or "non-demo" satisfies my requirements I'm eager to use it, no matter what it's called.

Throughout my life I've used a variety of free, not-free, premium, commercial, non-commercial programs based on whether or not they've suited my needs. Haven't you?
Yes, I use programs that suit my needs. However, this program is a "Free demo," and wants a registration code in order to access more newspapers/magazine.

They want users to register the product for activation for compatibility purposes."

They write:

"After you register, we will send you an activation code and we will tell you how you can download HUNDREDS of magazines including the ones below:

* USA Today
* New York Times
* Wall Street Journal
* Washington Post
* Chicago Tribune
* Readers Digest
* and more!

(Legal note: News2PDF is not affiliated with any of these services, nor do we encourage violating any license agreements. We offer this list only for compatibility purposes.)"

Don