Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #436
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Did you actually try the screen dim app I mention it's different from the other apps it let you turn down brightness and contrast separately so you can get the perfect balance. It also lets you do presets.

I'm not sure what resolution the Note3 has but I hear on the newer tablets like the Nexus 7 and now Kindle Fire HDX that the screen is perfect for reading due to the higher ppi. You might want to give a new tablet a try and see if it solves that problem for you My HDX will be here next Friday!
Play finds way too many programs with "screen dim" keywords, so I don't know without a Play link which one you mean. In my time I first used ScreenFilter ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.haxor) and then Lux Auto Brightness (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.vito.lux). It's not that long ago, because the PW1 is my first actual Kindle Device ever.

I have't used this rather new Note3 for reading. I tried only opening Kindle in order to see how it looks. Didn't try any dimmings at all. First sight was the same old straining. This has fullhd resolution and 5.7" screen, so ppi shouldnt be a problem. Big screen and phone class weight is a plus.

I dont think I bother to use my Nexus7 for reading tests, because I have the PW1. But if somebody abandons paper books when he/she can use regular mobile devices, then I think mission accomplished. My problem was already solved with the PW.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #437
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Play finds way too many programs with "screen dim" keywords, so I don't know without a Play link which one you mean. In my time I first used ScreenFilter ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.haxor) and then Lux Auto Brightness (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.vito.lux). It's not that long ago, because the PW1 is my first actual Kindle Device ever.

I have't used this rather new Note3 for reading. I tried only opening Kindle in order to see how it looks. Didn't try any dimmings at all. First sight was the same old straining. This has fullhd resolution and 5.7" screen, so ppi shouldnt be a problem. Big screen and phone class weight is a plus.

I dont think I bother to use my Nexus7 for reading tests, because I have the PW1. But if somebody abandons paper books when he/she can use regular mobile devices, then I think mission accomplished. My problem was already solved with the PW.
Here you go! This is the awesome app I am talking about. I use it on everything from watching movies, to reading to just looking at my devices. It saves battery life too!

Oh give your Nexus a try with this app and see if it works for you! You may want sometime to look at magazines or a pdf that the PW doesn't handle well. I highly recommend Mantano for reading epubs and pdf on your 7" tablet.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-11-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #438
Stringer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Here you go! This is the awesome app I am talking about. I use it on everything from watching movies, to reading to just looking at my devices. It saves battery life too!
Fine, I'll test it this weekend to make you happy, but I really don't expect to change it things so much. Maybe if I had one of those regular backlighted and/or heavy light bleeding displays, but the Note3 with (AM-)OLED display is already something else (and even the software developer say so in the program description). I don't understand how increasing contrast would change anything, because only way to do it is by keeping increased light somewhere (and Note3 already has such function built-in).

Last edited by Stringer; 10-11-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #439
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Fine, I'll test it this weekend to make you happy, but I really don't expect to change it things so much. Maybe if I had one of those regular backlighted and/or heavy light bleeding displays, but the Note3 with (AM-)OLED display is already something else (and even the software developer say so in the program description). I don't understand how increasing contrast would change anything, because only way to do it is by keeping increased light somewhere (and Note3 already has such function built-in).
I meant on your Nexus not the Note 3 but you don't have to it was just a suggestion to make your tablet experience more enjoyable because you was complaining about it.

You ask which app it was and I gave you the link. It's up to you if give it a try it will help you use your tablet more if it hurts your eye if it's reading, watching a movie, surfing the net, playing a game or whatever you do use it for. I can't use my devices without it. They are just too bright even at the lowest setting. This really help. Oh here's the Trial version link so you can try it without buying it. You don't have to try it but you have the link if you decide to.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-11-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #440
Stringer
Connoisseur

Quote:
I meant on your Nexus not the Note 3 but you don't have to it was just a suggestion to make your tablet experience more enjoyable because you was complaining about it.

You ask which app it was and I gave you the link. It's up to you if give it a try it will help you use your tablet more if it hurts your eye if it's reading, watching a movie, surfing the net, playing a game or whatever you do use it for. I can't use my devices without it. They are just too bright even at the lowest setting. This really help. Oh here's the Trial version link so you can try it without buying it. You don't have to try it but you have the link if you decide to.
Heh, forget the Nexus7, it is so far behind quality-wise compared to this Note3's display that it feels more like joke to me. If anything works, it is the Note3.

I would have completely agreed with you about too bright with my old S3 phone, but that is once again something Samsung decided to improve this time. On Note3 you get quite low setting in the minimum position.

That said, when you mentioned the magazines and such, I think there you might be right. Note3 is not big enough for print look alike magazines, and Kindle with poor resolution BW display of course is out of the question. You can read the text though with the Note3, but with my eyes it requires looking from somewhere around 10cm away from the screen. I'm seriously thinking of buying 10.1 tablet for reading Donald Duck.
Advert
Old 10-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #441
Stringer
Connoisseur

So I tested it as I promised. I lasted something like 30 mins before I had to switch back to the PW1. Thank you () for reminding me why I got the thing in the first place. Nothing has changed and that program of yours ain't any better in the job than the previous ones I used. It is either bright () or it is blurry (), which ever you want. Nothing like PW1 which is white and clear.