Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Glo light needs 'tone' options eg harsh and soft

Okay, I've been thinking how best to describe what it means when someone says that the Glo light is too bright, even at the lowest end of the scale.

My suggestion is to use the tone expressions harsh and soft, and others that describe what you are trying to express.

I'm hoping that 'harsh' and 'soft' etc can be firmware options in future Glo updates, because they also could be available in a 'scale' as is the current light brightness.

What do you think?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I don't understand what you mean by "harshness". What characteristic of the light are you talking about that isn't brightness? Colour temperature? Something else?

When I say the light is too bright at the bottom of the Kobo's scale, what I mean is exactly what I say - that the scale cuts off slightly too high, and there need to be lower settings.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Hi Meera

If you think about the globes that you buy for your home lights, you'll remember that some lights are called 'soft' and by dint of their being another end of the scale - harsh - that is the very bright light.

However both lights can be exactly the same wattage, eg 60 watts.

Think of the Pearl globes, that might be a good example.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Hi Meera

If you think about the globes that you buy for your home lights, you'll remember that some lights are called 'soft' and by dint of their being another end of the scale - harsh - that is the very bright light.

However both lights can be exactly the same wattage, eg 60 watts.

Think of the Pearl globes, that might be a good example.
I seem to remember that soft/warm white, bright white, cool white or daylight descriptions on a fluorescent light referred to the colour temperature of the bulb which was dependent on the phosphor mix used in the bulb. While you can purchase white LEDs in different colour temperatures, I suspect a variable colour temperature white LED would require something like a white, a blue and a green LED. By varying the brightness of the blue and green LEDs, the overall colour temperature of the array could be changed. I have the feeling that such a solution would make a significant addition to the cost of the Glo.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Pretty sure the blue-ness of most white LEDs is inherent to the design: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-e...hor-based_LEDs

A three-colour LED, which would be adjustable, seems likely to also not be 'even' enough for use in frontlet displays: you'd get more of a rainbow effect.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I've looked at about ten Glos now and the colour temperature really seems to vary between the devices.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote