Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
BollaRice
BollaRice began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Desktop app crash on connect

I found older threads, but it was recommended I start a new one.

When I connect my kobo glo ereader, the desktop app crashes and subsequent attempts to reopen it lead to crashes.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version but still experience the issue.
I am running mountain lion on a macbook pro.

This issue occurred in snow leopard and in mountain lion. (I thouhgt upgrading my OS might help-nope)

I submitted this issue to Kobo. Their response was to reinstall.

Any thoughts?
BollaRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I'm sorry I took so long to reply.

I am running Lion (10.7), so right in between your Mountain Lion (10.8) and Snow Leopard (10.6) and I've never experienced any problems with Kobo Desktop. Come to think of it however, I don't think I've ever actually used it! It doesn't really add anything extra. In fact, I cleaned up my Mac yesterday and uninstalled the desktop app. I use the Kobobooks.com or the read.kobobooks.com if I really want to see my kepubs on my computer, but for the rest I sync my Touch and Glo via Wifi.

If you really want to use the Desktop app, I'd respond to kobo stating you've already reinstalled.

How exactly did you uninstall the Desktop app before you reinstalled it? Did you just throw the app in the trash? In that case you could go through all the Library folders to get rid of anything to do with the Desktop app. It might have a corrupted helper file or something. Check application support and preferences. Alternatively, you could use a program such as MacKeeper (not free, but very thorough) or FreeMacSoft (free, slightly less thorough).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I use the desktop app with Mountain Lion. Several times in the past it has stalled during syncing, but before I've connected my device, and I've had to force quit the app. I just assumed it was something on their end (updates to the servers???), as I tend to keep very odd hours. When trying again later it would work without any problems.

I've never had any problems after connecting my reader.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I use the Kobobooks.com or the read.kobobooks.com if I really want to see my kepubs on my computer, but for the rest I sync my Touch and Glo via Wifi.
thanks Mrs_Often, was unaware of read.kobobooks.com - pity it does not work on the Kobo's own browser (why would anyone want to use it on the ereader, you may ask, but this could be e.g. not to donwload all books if you just want to check an annotation or a passage on a read book while on the go).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote