Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Bright Pixel(s)

Just curious who else has experienced one?

I just spent 1/2 hour at Chapters returning my pre order because of a bright pixel and the 3 they opened for me at Chapters all had bright pixels. The manager shut it down with a "We can't open them all, take one of these or we'll give you your money back.".

I choose the one with a bright pixel in the black bar so at least it's not in the text. Can't say I'm real happy though...
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
I had one and went back to my store and exchanged it (though the girl there was a little dim).

If I was you I'd return to the store when different people are working there and try and exchange it. Or go to a different store.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I plan to go to a different store. Unfortunately they are the only store in my city that has them in stock yet. Once another store has them in I'll be going there.
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Do you guys think these bright pixels are minor defects in the "light dispersal" layer (or whatever you want to call it)?

I'm wondering if this is something that might end up showing up more and more as you use the device - like the screwiness that people have talked about with the Nook GlowLight? Or if it is something that'll (hopefully!) never get worse?

If anyone has pics showing the problem, that'd be interesting to see, too!
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
I am so glad to say I haven't run into this issue.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
I spend the first day I got my Glo at chapters going through 5 devices until I got one with the least amount of problems. Mine has a small bright pixel in the top left corner where no text is ever shown.

I think no matter what there's going to be a small imperfection in the Glo layer no matter what due to manufacturing it and the way fibreoptics work.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
Bizzare thing. I noticed that smuges, dust, etc can cause my Glo screen to appear uneven or look like it has a bright spot. Wondering if this is behind any of the bright pixels. My first touch screen eink device though I own many other touch devices.

I also found it more prone to become unresponsive due to foreign material. For instance if you leave the smallest drop of water on your hands and it ends up on the screen it can make it unresponsive. The top coating has a nice feel like paper but this obviously has it's pros and cons.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Deary me, sounds like a lot of bright pixel problems I thought the Kobo Touch would be more sturdy than the Nook...

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyz View Post
Bizzare thing. I noticed that smuges, dust, etc can cause my Glo screen to appear uneven or look like it has a bright spot. Wondering if this is behind any of the bright pixels.
Hah interesting. Would that be something like the light reflecting up towards that piece of dust that then bounces the light right into your eyes, making huge contrast with the rest of the light that is nicely streamlined away from your eyes...? I do indeed wonder if some/most/all of the "bright pixels" that people have seen can be wiped away with a cloth...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Marbouk
Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo glo
Pleased to report no bright pixels here.

Sounds like the paperwhite and kobo glo are having the same problems with shadows and bright pixels. Could the screens be made by the same manufacturer?
Marbouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Mine does not have bright pixels and the only shadowing is right over the LEDs at the bottom--the things that are entirely covered up by the black bar. I know the first batch of Nexus 7 had similar display issues. They seem to have disappeared quickly from the supply chain. Bad batch. My Glo was ordered on line from Chapters.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyz View Post
I also found it more prone to become unresponsive due to foreign material. For instance if you leave the smallest drop of water on your hands and it ends up on the screen it can make it unresponsive. The top coating has a nice feel like paper but this obviously has it's pros and cons.
That is a problem I see with the Touch, and it sort of makes sense.

The devices aren't actually touch sensitive. They use IR beams across the top of the screen. Touching the screen blocks the beam from getting to the detector. So, something else on the screen like a drop of water will confuse the IR detectors. As Kobo has not implemented multi-touch, it is probably a deliberate decision to not do anything in this situation.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Sameer once said they will add pinch zoom to firmware.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I don't have any bright pixels, also bought online from Chapters. I wonder if it is caused by dust caught between the layers during manufacturing that catches the light and reflects it.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Sameer once said they will add pinch zoom to firmware.
Did he? I remember he commented that mutli-touch was not implemented, but I don't remember him saying they would be implementing it. In any case, that is a future firmware and I think what I said will apply for a while.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
He never said when or what version it would be added.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote