Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
opasteen
opasteen began at the beginning.

Device: MobiPocket
Question Bridge MobiPocket to Windows files for dictionary lookup

(cross-post from MobiPocket Forum)
Am author of an ICT dictionary (English- Dutch) that I would like to offer electronically. I found MobiPocket technology very attractive as it will adapt to screen size, and will allow for an embedded database with good search capability. But the market for such a MP-dictionary is very limited because there are few eBooks on ICT sold in The Netherlands.
Therefore my question is whether an immediate bridge can be made from an MP environment to Windows (Explorer, Word, PDF etc) and back, WITHOUT having to convert these files to the MobiPocket format? After all, most of the coding is in XML (or similar) in both environments… So that in Windows one can select a word and press a key, to immediately obtain the query results from my MP dictionary. Any suggestions how that could be realised? Should I be using another eBook format? Or should I forget the possibility?
opasteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasteen View Post
(cross-post from MobiPocket Forum)
Am author of an ICT dictionary (English- Dutch) that I would like to offer electronically. I found MobiPocket technology very attractive as it will adapt to screen size, and will allow for an embedded database with good search capability. But the market for such a MP-dictionary is very limited because there are few eBooks on ICT sold in The Netherlands.
Therefore my question is whether an immediate bridge can be made from an MP environment to Windows (Explorer, Word, PDF etc) and back, WITHOUT having to convert these files to the MobiPocket format? After all, most of the coding is in XML (or similar) in both environments… So that in Windows one can select a word and press a key, to immediately obtain the query results from my MP dictionary. Any suggestions how that could be realised? Should I be using another eBook format? Or should I forget the possibility?
There is nothing wrong with releasing your product in multiple formats. Releasing in MobiPocket is pretty easy. check their web site for details. That will provide you with some experience and then you can decide on other formats. There is currently an Italian English dictionary in PDF posted in the misc ebook category. You might want to check that.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
kimstudio
kimstudio began at the beginning.

Device: EEEPC|Palm TE|DELL X3|NEXIO S155
I remeber the new version of the mobipocker reader has this function that it can be used as a pop-up dictionary, but I have not tried it.
kimstudio is offline   Reply With Quote