Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #181
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^John Steinbeck's Cannery Row. It's brilliant!
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #182
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished A Portrait of the Young Man as an Artist by James Joyce. Joyce is infuriating. So hard to read some times, so dull in places, but then he goes and writes just little brief moments of brilliance. I find myself just reading the words for the joy of words themselves.
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #183
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Well, so much for a racing head start.
<sigh> My sentiments exactly. Here it is more than half through the first month, and I have little to show for it. Technical issues did me in, a lack of interest in the MR Book Club selection, and household time constraints were more slow downs. It's downright appalling and completely out of character.

However, part of my 2012 challenge was to read each MR BC selection, broaden my genres and authors, and so I have persevered. And I have figured some minor work-arounds for technical and other issues, so hope lives on for my 2012 challenge...haven't quite made it to the realm of the paper tiger to clear out p-books, though. Hmmmm.

Well, can't sit around here all day--time to read something!
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #184
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I've not found anything to hold my interest too well this year.
What sort of books do you like?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #185
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What sort of books do you like?
Fantasy (NOT SF), romance, erotic romance, murder mystery and the occasional thriller. I throw in some classics & non-fic here and there.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #186
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Fantasy (NOT SF), romance, erotic romance, murder mystery and the occasional thriller. I throw in some classics & non-fic here and there.
Try Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. I recently finished it. Quite good. It's alternate history/steampunk and it is not heavy. It's a trilogy. I'll have book 2 ready to go when I am done with a few other books.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #187
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I finished up The Trial by Franz Kafka.

I love this stuff. Just so many levels to read this on.
You are so right. The Trial is one of my favorite books. Looks like I'm gonna have to add it to my list to re-read. (there goes my plan to try and only read books I haven't read already. I wonder if I can count it as not read before if I last read it over 30 years ago. So far out of the 12 books I've read this year seven are re-reads (gotta update the ticker). I'm gonna head over to the Illiad thread and maybe join in that reading. That's one I've never read before (at least not entirely).
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #188
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
Have you read the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carringer? Alternate reality/romance/steam punk all rolled into one and hysterically funny to boot. Victoria is a young queen of England. Vampires, werewolves and ghosts are "out" in society. Main character is "soulless" which means something quite different from what you usually find. I thoroughly enjoyed them and am waiting eagerly for the fifth book in the series.

Also the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. The Napoleonic Wars fought in the air as well as on land and sea. Aerial Corps of dragons. Good stuff.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #189
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. I recently finished it. Quite good. It's alternate history/steampunk and it is not heavy. It's a trilogy. I'll have book 2 ready to go when I am done with a few other books.
Thanks for the rec! I'll check it out.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #190
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
Have you read the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carringer? Alternate reality/romance/steam punk all rolled into one and hysterically funny to boot. Victoria is a young queen of England. Vampires, werewolves and ghosts are "out" in society. Main character is "soulless" which means something quite different from what you usually find. I thoroughly enjoyed them and am waiting eagerly for the fifth book in the series.

Also the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. The Napoleonic Wars fought in the air as well as on land and sea. Aerial Corps of dragons. Good stuff.
I 've read book 1 and I thought it was great! I'm just having an issue getting started in 2012...
Old 01-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #191
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Had George Passant on my TBR, and got ~25% into it, but just couldn't get into it at all. I'm dropping it off the TBR, though I might come back to it later if I have a period with a lot of time to read without interruptions.

Instead, read three short stories from Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (Quiet Magic). Enjoyed them, left me wanting more.

Overall, I'm staying about even on my TBR. At least it's not growing.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #192
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

For Victorian style steampunk I enjoyed Infernal Devices by KW Jeter.
For mysteries the "locked door" style of John Dickson Carr.
For good warm-all-over feeling there is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Haddon.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #193
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

+1 for the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #194
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
For Victorian style steampunk I enjoyed Infernal Devices by KW Jeter.
For mysteries the "locked door" style of John Dickson Carr.
For good warm-all-over feeling there is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Haddon.
Thanks for the recs!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #195
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
So far I have read um... 10 unread books. I think. ( But downloaded 30 freebies from Amazon )

Last night, I finished Deadly Obsession by Katie Reus. It was a chilling romantic suspense. And really, really good. ( But I stayed up 2 am finishing it, which was a bad idea since I slept badly.)
I also tried to read Charmed ever after by Gabriella Hewitt, but it didn't work for me. So, a DNF. In fact, I think I'll delete it from my Calibre library.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote