Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Question Initial Charge?

Hello !

Just got my Touch today just in time for my bday I have already a Xoom but for reading outside, it's not the best so I choose the Kobo.

I tried that with my AC-usb connector (from my cell) but the Kobo told me to download the setup. So I did that, unplug from the wall, plug it to my PC, updating to 1.9.6 and while being there, sideload some epubs that I already have with Calibre.

Then, I eject it to play a bit with it, but I was affraid of battery memory so I just replug it to the wall adapter.

I know that it shouldn't be a problem with the new type of batteries but still, I loose so many rechargeable batteries in the past that I'm really cautious with that.

1. So, I was wondering if I should do a complete charge OOB right away?
2. Is there a way to know the exact percentage of the battery charge?
3. How I know the battery is fully charged? (the del is green at the moment but I know that the reader is around 80-90% by the look of it)

Thanks a lot for your help!
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
After the initial full charge, I would let it run out before I charge it again.
And do this cycle a few times. Apparently this is how the charge indicator calibrates itself.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
Hello !
3. How I know the battery is fully charged? (the del is green at the moment but I know that the reader is around 80-90% by the look of it)
The battery indicator will change from having the "end of plug" symbol on it to having a "check mark" on it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Even when charging? Because I don't see the icon while it charge.

Also, what's best? Putting it to sleep or powering down? I'll use it about 1hr each lunch time each workday, that's pretty much about it. I guess powering it up use a lot of battery but for a 24hr span, I guess it's best to power it down.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
You're right. You have to open the menu to see the battery icon with this.
If you're only using it 1 hr a day then full off is going to maximize the time a charge will last. KT is pretty quick to boot up from off.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The battery indicator will change from having the "end of plug" symbol on it to having a "check mark" on it.
I charged my replacement Kobo Touch out of the box for over three hours and I never did get that check mark. I called Kobo about this, and they said that when the light was green, it was fully charged. And when I ejected, the battery icon appeared "full."

My first Kob Touch charged up in less than three hours.

Go figure!
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Friends are messing with it a bit, adding stuff while the kobo is still charged.

Is it dangerous to mess up the battery?

Tags
battery