Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
As with last month, there are already so many interesting nominations that I'm not sure which I'd like to support. I will begin by thirding "Ulysses". It is the only book I've ever put down because I found it too difficult, and I've meant to give it another go ever since, so this is the perfect opportunity.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I third Bleak House. It's one of the most powerful of his novels.
fantasyfan, you have already used your three nominations.
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I 5th Bleak House - I rarely have stamina for anything past 700 or so pages so I want to challenge myself, plus it's Dickens and the general consensus seems to be that this is his best.

I also 3rd Midnight's Children; just this week a coworker and I were talking about trying out Salman Rushdie's work so this would be a good start.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I will nominate The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote Of La Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes.

Quote:
Widely regarded as the world's first modern novel, and one of the funniest and most tragic books ever written, Don Quixote chronicles the famous picaresque adventures of the noble knight-errant Don Quixote of La Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, as they travel through sixteenth-century Spain.

"The highest creation of genius has been achieved by Shakespeare and Cervantes, almost alone." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"A more profound and powerful work than this is not to be met with...The final and greatest utterance of the human mind." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Nomination Results UPDATE

Hello, All.

Please note that "Bleak House" current has FOUR nominations. The nomination from fantasyfan was invalid.

The nomination results are now current as of Post 19, Page 2 and can be seen by going to Post #5, Page1.

Regards,

Last edited by Vandy; 06-23-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Seconding Don Quixote.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Third Don Quixote
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #23
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Hello, All.

Please note that "Bleak House" current has FOUR nominations. The nomination from fantasyfan was invalid.

The nomination results are now current as of Post 19, Page 2 and can be seen by going to Post #5, Page1.

Regards,
I'm a little confused - did your original notation of 4 nominations for Bleak House mistakenly include fantasyfan's invalid nomination? I ask because I could've sworn post#5 had 4 nominations for Bleak House at the time I posted mine (which is why I called it the 5th); I assumed then (without scrutinizing the other posts) that fantasyfan's nomination was not included in that 4.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #24
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I'm a little confused - did your original notation of 4 nominations for Bleak House mistakenly include fantasyfan's invalid nomination? I ask because I could've sworn post#5 had 4 nominations for Bleak House at the time I posted mine (which is why I called it the 5th); I assumed then (without scrutinizing the other posts) that fantasyfan's nomination was not included in that 4.
Say, could I solve the problem by eliminating my choice of Mansfield Park and using Bleak House as a second instead?

I can go back and simply delete Jane Austen from my post. If this causes even more problems then perhaps my mention of Bleak House could be deleted. Whatever you decide is fine with me.

My apologies to all for causing the confusion.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #25
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Say, could I solve the problem by eliminating my choice of Mansfield Park and using Bleak House as a second instead?

I can go back and simply delete Jane Austen from my post. If this causes even more problems then perhaps my mention of Bleak House could be deleted. Whatever you decide is fine with me.

The only one who seems to confused here is me, which is no fault of your own - confusion a regular state of being for me
Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:

It's no biggie, fantasyfan. An honest mistake.

My initial impression would be to say to leave your original nominations as is. I think I'd rather not set any precedent of people deleting earlier nominations to support others. Would everyone agree that this would be a good guideline for nominations?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #27
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It's no biggie, fantasyfan. An honest mistake.

My initial impression would be to say to leave your original nominations as is. I think I'd rather not set any precedent of people deleting earlier nominations to support others. Would everyone agree that this would be a good guideline for nominations?
Yes, I do agree with you.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #28
Vandy
...always be humble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Hello, Loosheesh.

The nominations for Bleak House DO include yours (it was the fourth) and DOES NOT include fantasyfan's (which was invalid).

As of this post, Bleak House has FOUR nominations.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #29
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Hello, Loosheesh.

The nominations for Bleak House DO include yours (it was the fourth) and DOES NOT include fantasyfan's (which was invalid).

As of this post, Bleak House has FOUR nominations.
Cool ... no longer confused until the next time
Old 06-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #30
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I've been mulling over which work to support with my last nomination, or whether to wait, but I've decided to go ahead and throw it in. With my last nomination I'll second "The Tale Of Genji" by Murasaki Shikibu. I'll also add to the description of it that Hamlet53 provided in another post:

Quote:
In the early eleventh century Murasaki Shikibu, a lady in the Heian court of Japan, wrote what many consider to be the world’s first novel, more than three centuries before Chaucer. The Heian era (794—1185) is recognized as one of the very greatest periods in Japanese literature, and The Tale of Genji is not only the unquestioned prose masterpiece of that period but also the most lively and absorbing account we have of the intricate, exquisite, highly ordered court culture that made such a masterpiece possible.
Quote:
One of the world's oldest novels and the greatest single work of Japanese literature, this 11th-century romance centers on the lives and loves of an emperor's son. It offers a vast tapestry of the intrigues and rivalries of court life, as well as an exquisitely detailed portrayal of a decaying aristocracy.

Tags
book club, challenging, literary, literature, nominations