Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
nyCecilia
Edge User

Newbie help, please?

Hi, I just bought a 2nd hand edge with the idea of turning it into a somewhat portable music reader. It's not the perfect size, but it's as close as I'm going to get for the moment, and it works.

But tonight I noticed that I have some doubles in the library and couldn't figure out how to delete them, so that is question 1. No, I haven't searched for the answer yet because I'm stuck in frustration over question 2.

Then I tried to log into the forum using the browser and couldn't. Actually, it was absolute frustration! Can someone explain how to do it? That is question 2. Here's what I've done so far...tried to log in via "browser" and when I tried to click into the user name box, it mostly wanted to show my screen in the e-reader, so I had to cancel that a zillion times. On the rare chance that I got to click into the username box, I couldn't get to the password box to finish logging in. Since I couldn't make these boxes big enough to avoid the e-reader button AND successfully enter my password, I decided to try my luck with Opera.

In Opera I could click--most of the time--on the username box, but every time I got to the password box, clicking out of the password box blanked the password out! I know I know my password and username, but I quickly passed my 5 tries. Well, not too quickly, because it was a heck of a thing clicking on the log in button, for some odd reason it needed me to press hard on it--this makes NO sense to me, I have other multitouch screens and they don't even need to be touched to press a button!

I suppose in theory I don't really care about browsers and opera and such, but since it is available to me, why can't I use it? What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
nyCecilia
Edge User

Followup: once in the forum (on a good, old-fashioned laptop), I was able to find out how to delete library items, thank you forum peoples! If anyone can add $.02 for the rest of my problem, I would be grateful

Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
Filark
Edge User

Hi nyCecilia, and welcome!

I had a similar frustration using my Pocket eDGe and trying to log in to various things. One tip: After you enter your user name (or search criteria in a search box), tap on the "hide keyboard" button on the lower right of the keypad rather than hitting "Enter". Then you can proceed to the next box or hit the search button or whatever you need to do. (This is using the native browser -- I know nothing about Opera. )

If you are hitting the book icon at the top of the page when you aim your stylus below that you may need to recalibrate your LCD screen. Do you know how to do that?

Best of luck! Good having you with us.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
nyCecilia
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Hi nyCecilia, and welcome!

I had a similar frustration using my Pocket eDGe and trying to log in to various things. One tip: After you enter your user name (or search criteria in a search box), tap on the "hide keyboard" button on the lower right of the keypad rather than hitting "Enter". Then you can proceed to the next box or hit the search button or whatever you need to do. (This is using the native browser -- I know nothing about Opera. )

If you are hitting the book icon at the top of the page when you aim your stylus below that you may need to recalibrate your LCD screen. Do you know how to do that?

Best of luck! Good having you with us.
Hi Filark, and thanks for the response!

The first thing I did when I got my Edge registered was wipe it completely clean and do a fresh Ermine install, and go through all the calibrations. I also recalibrated during my frustration last night, but I'll re-calibrate again tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip on minimizing the keyboard! One quirk I noticed early on is that the change to alpha is both on the left and the right side of the keyboard, but when you want to switch back to alpha, it's on the left only--Ok, I get that, but if you're not paying attention it's really easy to hit the wrong button.

I also wish there were a tab button in the keyboard...that would probably eliminate minimizing and maximizing the keyboard repeatedly? I'm pretty new to Android (from WinMo) as this is my first, is there any way to replace the keyboard with another one? If so, are there any that people around here recommend?

Thanks again! This is a pretty cool device.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyCecilia View Post
I also wish there were a tab button in the keyboard...that would probably eliminate minimizing and maximizing the keyboard repeatedly?
In many cases, the Enter key (<----+) works as a TAB key to go from field to field. It's not like on a PC where the Enter key invokes the OK/Submit button.

Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyCecilia View Post
Hi Filark, and thanks for the response!

The first thing I did when I got my Edge registered was wipe it completely clean and do a fresh Ermine install, and go through all the calibrations. I also recalibrated during my frustration last night, but I'll re-calibrate again tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip on minimizing the keyboard! One quirk I noticed early on is that the change to alpha is both on the left and the right side of the keyboard, but when you want to switch back to alpha, it's on the left only--Ok, I get that, but if you're not paying attention it's really easy to hit the wrong button.

I also wish there were a tab button in the keyboard...that would probably eliminate minimizing and maximizing the keyboard repeatedly? I'm pretty new to Android (from WinMo) as this is my first, is there any way to replace the keyboard with another one? If so, are there any that people around here recommend?

Thanks again! This is a pretty cool device.
Although not using the edge, I have a keyboard called "Thumb Keyboard". It is available on the Amazon market, costs less than 2 dollars. And it rocks!