Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
eewestcoaster
eewestcoaster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question [Kindle 3] - Is it possible to turn a single page with the main keyboard?

I'm trying to create an alternate keyboard for the Kindle 3 for disabled individuals who might not be able to use the standard factory keyboard. The main keypad is routed to the motherboard through a large 20-pin connector. The dedicated page turn buttons however, are routed to the motherboard through a painfully tiny 6-pin connector, which has proven especially difficult to intercept. I've started a blog for the project, where you can see pictures of what I'm trying to do if you're interested.

I have been able to map all the signals routed through the 20-pin connector, which allows me to mimic all the basic functionality of the main keypad. This actually works very well, except for one thing: I can't turn an individual page.

I can mimic all the buttons on the front panel, which means I have control over the 5-way keypad and all the typing functions. This allows me to make notes and select things from menus, but the 5-way only allows you to jump to the next chapter - it won't turn a single page.

I've tried all the obvious combinations and searched every forum post I could find, but have come up dry. I'm hoping you guys can help. Do you know of any way to turn a single page using only the buttons on the main keypad?

Thanks in advance!
eewestcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
The only way I know of is by moving the cursor.

Click to put the cursor on the last line or word on the visible page, then click the dpad to the right to continue it to the next page.

The page will turn then.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
This might get more attention in the Kindle developer sub-forum. There's several people there who have a firm grasp on Kindle internals... and I'd be very surprised if they couldn't offer you some insight.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
eewestcoaster

@Piper_: Hmm... good thought. In that scenario the user would need to read the page, then maneuver the cursor until it's at the last word of the page, before turning it. My only thought is that it could mess with the reader's "zone", having to execute a series of clicks to turn each page. Of course, if the alternative is not being able to use the device at all, it might be good enough.

The ideal solution would be a single keystroke that would turn a page. Of course, I'm hacking the device so "ideal solutions" might not be very realistic.

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
eewestcoaster

@DiapDealer: Good suggestion - I'll put it there as well. Thanks!
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I know you can use keyboard shortcuts with Launchpad to turn to the next page, but that might be too much.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessibility, hack, keyboard, keypad, kindle 3