Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #16
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
^ I'm not sure - I keep meaning to call and ask if I can purchase another one for my replacement unit.... I bought mine from Sony and it was a checkout option. Perhaps calling Sony Support could answer the question - in fact, I will do that sometime this week as I don't want the time on getting it to run out.

As to returning it, I've never asked and they never told. It makes me wonder if/when replacement parts become available on the open market if I could replace it.... But I still wonder what, if anything, Sony can tell from the Connect software about what units are active. Or if it's just a hole in their system (and maybe a temporary one due to supply chain problems.)
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #17
Colt
Comrade Rising
Colt began at the beginning.

Location: Empire of Alaska, Occupied Florida, Territory Command
Device: Currently Pulp
Well, if you somehow get it working you could just transfer things to it with an SD card instead of linking it directly. Did you ever open it up just to see if the connector for the screen hadn't popped out?
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Well, if you somehow get it working you could just transfer things to it with an SD card instead of linking it directly. Did you ever open it up just to see if the connector for the screen hadn't popped out?
Oh no, the screen was totally fragged. For a short time I had about a quarter of the screen still visible when I powered up. Last time I checked it, a little tiny spot of the lower left corner was still visible. My screen otherwise is a collection of overlapping rectangles in various shades of grey, except for the epicenter of the impact, which has visible rays of eInk radiating from the impact point. I'll post a picture one of these days, but the screen was definitely broken.

It's a different pattern from when an LCD is boinked, but it's still very obviously the screen that's broken.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote